Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #51 of 94 Old 07-18-15, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Further Conclusions Regarding the Comparison of Audible Results Between Audyssey XT32 and Dirac Live

After quite a bit of additional work with Dirac Live and much listening to the results, an additional comment is in order.

When this initial exercise was done, we were using our best knowledge of both products to put them on an equal footing for the listening test. Since then, further experience with Dirac Live has led me to conclude that while our approach allowed us to get the best possible results from Audyssey XT32, that approach was actually holding Dirac Live back from giving its best results. Using the mic setup patterns suggested by Dirac Research give results which are significantly better than the single mic setup pattern which was used for this test, target curve capabilities and other operational factors aside.

My conclusion is that Dirac Live as implemented in the miniDSP nanoAVR DL is capable of sonically superior results when compared to Audyssey XT32, in terms of frequency response improvement and in terms of soundstage and imaging results.
AudiocRaver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 94 Old 07-18-15, 10:35 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
My conclusion is that Dirac Live as implemented in the miniDSP nanoAVR DL is capable of sonically superior results when compared to Audyssey XT32, in terms of frequency response improvement and in terms of soundstage and imaging results.
Certainly what I found here, and I was an Audyssey XT32 and Audyssey Pro user for years. No going back once I heard my first Dirac Live calibration.
kbarnes70 is offline  
post #53 of 94 Old 07-18-15, 12:02 PM
Senior Shackster
Jerry
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 192
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Further Conclusions Regarding the Comparison of Audible Results Between Audyssey XT32 and Dirac Live

After quite a bit of additional work with Dirac Live and much listening to the results, an additional comment is in order.

When this initial exercise was done, we were using our best knowledge of both products to put them on an equal footing for the listening test. Since then, further experience with Dirac Live has led me to conclude that while our approach allowed us to get the best possible results from Audyssey XT32, that approach was actually holding Dirac Live back from giving its best results. Using the mic setup patterns suggested by Dirac Research give results which are significantly better than the single mic setup pattern which was used for this test, target curve capabilities and other operational factors aside.

My conclusion is that Dirac Live as implemented in the miniDSP nanoAVR DL is capable of sonically superior results when compared to Audyssey XT32, in terms of frequency response improvement and in terms of soundstage and imaging results.
I'm very pleased that you came to this conclusion. In my experience, using all nine positions following the general mic position guidelines has produced consistently excellent results. I have concluded since my implementation of Dirac Live approximately six months ago that the sonic results are more pleasing than what I had been used to with XT32/Pro. I have never regretted my decision and have never looked back.

Glad to see that Keith agrees as well, even though he is trying to remain incognito by dropping the "1" in his screen name.
AustinJerry is offline  
 
post #54 of 94 Old 07-18-15, 01:00 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
AustinJerry wrote: View Post
I'm very pleased that you came to this conclusion. In my experience, using all nine positions following the general mic position guidelines has produced consistently excellent results. I have concluded since my implementation of Dirac Live approximately six months ago that the sonic results are more pleasing than what I had been used to with XT32/Pro. I have never regretted my decision and have never looked back.
+1 to all that, Jerry. For anyone who has a spare $1,000, I can't recommend the miniDSP DDRC-88A highly enough. And even if it looks expensive at that price, one has to recall that it will last through numerous iterations of AVR or AVP, as well as potentially making the choice of the AVR/P cheaper in the first place since one no longer needs the inbuilt REQ, the best of which is usually found only in the higher end units.

Quote:
AustinJerry wrote: View Post
Glad to see that Keith agrees as well, even though he is trying to remain incognito by dropping the "1" in his screen name.
I had not even realised that! I must have forgotten to add it when I initially registered here.
kbarnes70 is offline  
post #55 of 94 Old 07-18-15, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
AustinJerry wrote: View Post
I'm very pleased that you came to this conclusion. In my experience, using all nine positions following the general mic position guidelines has produced consistently excellent results. I have concluded since my implementation of Dirac Live approximately six months ago that the sonic results are more pleasing than what I had been used to with XT32/Pro. I have never regretted my decision and have never looked back.

Glad to see that Keith agrees as well, even though he is trying to remain incognito by dropping the "1" in his screen name.
If I am not mistaken, I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that you had not had a bad Dirac calibration. I can say that I have, but it has only been when I was NOT following Dirac recommendations.

I think it is great that Dirac has come up with a product that is almost foolproof as far as getting good results if you just do what they say to do, no jumping through hoops. Of course my way of going about things is I had to learn that the hard way by trying pretty much everything else under the sun, so I can now enthusiastically add my voice to yours that the Dirac method simply works, and sounds fantastic!

Thanks for your comments.
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #56 of 94 Old 07-19-15, 04:57 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
If I am not mistaken, I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that you had not had a bad Dirac calibration. I can say that I have, but it has only been when I was NOT following Dirac recommendations.

I think it is great that Dirac has come up with a product that is almost foolproof as far as getting good results if you just do what they say to do, no jumping through hoops. Of course my way of going about things is I had to learn that the hard way by trying pretty much everything else under the sun, so I can now enthusiastically add my voice to yours that the Dirac method simply works, and sounds fantastic!

Thanks for your comments.
Same here - I have never had a bad Dirac calibration either. Not being as experimentally inclined as you and Jerry, I just followed the instructions as closely as possible and bingo! My first ever calibration was brilliant, right out of the box. Since then I have made new calibrations just following the SOP and the result is always never less than excellent.

I think this is a testimony to the inner workings of Dirac Live. When I was using Audyssey I was always trying new calibrations, with slightly different mic positions or different techniques etc, in pursuit of a better result. This seems to be SOP with Audyssey too, judging from the experiences related in dedicated threads elsewhere. On reflection, I think that all of this effort with Audyssey was an attempt to compensate for less than perfect calibrations to begin with - chasing the dream if you will. It never sounded 'quite right' so there was always the feeling that, with some additional user input, the result could be better. With Dirac Live, it sounds like it does in my imagination and I feel no need to constantly revisit the calibration in the vain pursuit of something better.

All of the above refers to using the auto-target curve. One of the joys of Dirac Live is the ease with which one can shape the target curve to one's preferences and I have experimented with that, with mixed results. The auto curve gives such a great result it is difficult for me to improve on it, but I welcome the fact that I can trym and that it is so easy.
Locoweed likes this.
kbarnes70 is offline  
post #57 of 94 Old 07-19-15, 09:57 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Talley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 1,295
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

I've only ran one Dirac test... Dirac SE. It sounds fantastic out of the box but I only did a one mic test. I need to do multiple spots and see how it works out.

I also waiting for my full license so I can adjust the curve to my liking.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Talley is offline  
post #58 of 94 Old 07-20-15, 09:50 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Lumen's Avatar
Lou
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,261
My System
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

I would like to add that I, too, have had impressive results with Dirac's recommended mic pattern--most of the time. Several calibration results produced less than optimal HF/MF response to these ears, but I have yet to discover a correlation which renders them repeatable. So I must resign myself to accepting that the "distortion" results from human error.

At risk of being admonished for rocking the boat: I stick by my findings as they are valid for my system, room, and subjective taste. So I'd like to go on record stating that I consistently prefer one of my custom patterns over that of Dirac's standard. I've tried all manner of standard randomness, only to return to my own Trial #4: 1 loc @LP, 4 locs along hypotenuse, and 1 loc at each ear. Except for a post-Dirac phase adjustment required to lift a dip through the crossover region, those calibrations synch all 5.1 channels together like a well-oiled machine! It's the one calibration I've tried that infuses movies with the sense of foundation, envelopment, and immersion usually found only in magazines.

.
I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Lumen is offline  
post #59 of 94 Old 07-20-15, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,838
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Lou:

What a great thread for sharing info like that. With our different rooms, speakers, amps, furniture, treatments, it is no wonder we do not all get identical results. For me the key has been to think BIGGER. The more spread out the pattern, the more consistent the results I have gotten - the opposite of the way it would work with Audyssey, and counter-intuitive in a way, AND a testament to a robust, resilient, well-engineered correction algorithm.

But that is in MY situation. The more we share this info, the more resilient our combined experience base becomes. Kudos.
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #60 of 94 Old 07-21-15, 04:51 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
So I'd like to go on record stating that I consistently prefer one of my custom patterns over that of Dirac's standard.
Isn't that exactly the point of having user-adjustable target curves? That you can adjust them to your own preference? This is a big step up from Audyssey where the target curve they prefer is the one you are forced to use, even if your own preference is somewhat different.
kbarnes70 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audyssey , comparison , dirac , live , xt32

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome