Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #71 of 94 Old 10-28-15, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Audyssey XT32 vs. Dirac Live Listening Comparison

Quote:
grandpixel wrote: View Post
"SS&I are not directly measurable. There are those who will argue that because of this fact they do not exist, and therefore are not worth pursuing." And they would be right. If you can't measure it, you can't hear it, end of story.
Quote:
To make up a term and say it can't be measured but it's there is totally bogus.
This is true.
  • I did not make up the terms. The terms have been around for ages, I have no idea who came up with them.
  • I did not say they are are not measurable, I said they are not directly measurable. There is no Imaging graph or Soundstage plot that is commonly available with a tool like Room EQ Wizard, or with any kind of meter or scope.
  • It is true that there are many components which contribute, and some of them are very easily measurable. I have seen one attempt to combine frequency response and phase into an imaging plot, but it was very rudimentary attempt, not very informative.
  • In broad strokes terms, it is possible to show that the experience can be shared across a group of listeners. Poor SS&I vs. good SS&I is not difficult to discriminate. There are many examples through our forums of suggestions for improving SS&I which have been implemented and those implementing them have almost universally agreed that the improvement is dramatic. The common terms used in the descriptions of their results indicate that there is commonality in those experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 94 Old 10-28-15, 10:02 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
This is true.
[*]In broad strokes terms, it is possible to show that the experience can be shared across a group of listeners. Poor SS&I vs. good SS&I is not difficult to discriminate. There are many examples through our forums of suggestions for improving SS&I which have been implemented and those implementing them have almost universally agreed that the improvement is dramatic. The common terms used in the descriptions of their results indicate that there is commonality in those experiences.[/LIST]
It is my experience (imho) and one reason why I would like, one day, to try Dirac Live.

For instance, I am currently making experiences between bitstreams and PCM from my blue-ray player to my receiver (in order to decide if I nanoAvr DL could be a good idea). In theory there is no difference. Not in fact for me. I can not measure it but I am sure that there is a difference in SS&I. Decoding in the blue-ray player (mine is maybe not the best but I think it is not a cheap one) does not give the same result than in the receiver. It changes the sound and the image to my ears. If I was able to do science, I would like to try to measure the difference.
post #73 of 94 Old 10-28-15, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Others have reported experiences like this, too. In all honesty, I assumed there would be none and never even tried it (a listening test) to see if there was a difference. It could be very surprising and informative. I will try it myself one of these days.

post #74 of 94 Old 11-04-15, 01:11 PM
wes
Shackster

wes

I wonder if and when other AVR manufacturer will incorporate DIRAC
post #75 of 94 Old 11-04-15, 01:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Its a cost factor, Just like the Trinnov Optimizer wont likely bee seen in any other units.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #76 of 94 Old 11-04-15, 01:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

You may already know about Emotiva's XMC-1. Also, announced at CEDIA are the Arcam AVR550 ($3400) and AVR850 ($6000); both are Atmos/DTS:X receivers that implement full Dirac Live on all channels. And, while they are expensive, if you're looking for Dirac Live on an 11-channel Atmos system, the price is reasonable compared to the only other option for that configuration (which would be two of the miniDSP DDRC-88A ($1k each) between some other Atmos AVR and external amps). Arcam also has the SR250 which is just two-channel and runs Dirac Live, but the value is not there IMO ($3600).

Audio Control also debuted two Atmos/DTS:X AVRs at CEDIA, the Concert AVR-7 ($4200) and AVR-9 ($6200). Same thing: 11-channels and Dirac Live on all channels.

Edit: Should point out that all four multichannel units process 11 channels, but only drive 7 channels of speakers internally, requiring 4 channels of outboard amplification for the additional four speakers.

Last edited by bkeeler10; 11-04-15 at 01:35 PM.
post #77 of 94 Old 11-04-15, 01:52 PM
wes
Shackster

wes

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
You may already know about Emotiva's XMC-1. Also, announced at CEDIA are the Arcam AVR550 ($3400) and AVR850 ($6000); both are Atmos/DTS:X receivers that implement full Dirac Live on all channels. And, while they are expensive, if you're looking for Dirac Live on an 11-channel Atmos system, the price is reasonable compared to the only other option for that configuration (which would be two of the miniDSP DDRC-88A ($1k each) between some other Atmos AVR and external amps). Arcam also has the SR250 which is just two-channel and runs Dirac Live, but the value is not there IMO ($3600).

Audio Control also debuted two Atmos/DTS:X AVRs at CEDIA, the Concert AVR-7 ($4200) and AVR-9 ($6200). Same thing: 11-channels and Dirac Live on all channels.

Edit: Should point out that all four multichannel units process 11 channels, but only drive 7 channels of speakers internally, requiring 4 channels of outboard amplification for the additional four speakers.
The question is to find dealers in the US that sells ARCAM?

Bowers and Wilkins 800 Diamond & 802 Diamond - B&W 802D2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #78 of 94 Old 11-04-15, 02:02 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Check the dealer locator here. I found two in my area. I don't know what their dealer base is like, but I would think it shouldn't be too hard to get.
post #79 of 94 Old 11-05-15, 09:13 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

We have one dealer in Québec

Last edited by FargateOne; 11-05-15 at 09:20 PM.
post #80 of 94 Old 11-05-15, 09:21 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

We have one in Québec

More seriously I doubt that I will have the budget. But all those new avr with maybe the reason why Emotiva lowered the prices these days !?