Manual SUB EQ and Dolby volume - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 05-18-15, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Manual SUB EQ and Dolby volume

Hello again HTS..

If you've read my previous posts about audyssey problems and harsh sound from speakers, I've made quite a progression..

Previous post (if interrested):
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ing-sound.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-audyssey.html

My speakers has been tuned, and i found out, that i can get similar results with using manual EQ, with dolby volume instead of "dynamic EQ" and "dynamic volume" audyssey offers..

I like these features, but i don't like the audyssey calibration.. Manual sounds much more natural to me, as i like quite a big roll-off at higher frequencies, due to a small room and delicate hearing..

Now I've got the very last problem, my subwoofer.. I can't make any manual corrections to this, with the manual EQ..

What options do i have with my manual EQ+dolby volume combination?

I have a Denon 4311 receiver..

I'm expecting some sort of device between my receiver and subwoofer..

What is the cheapest option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-18-15, 06:13 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Manual SUB EQ and Dolby volume

Quote:
JensToft91 wrote: View Post
Hello again HTS..

If you've read my previous posts about audyssey problems and harsh sound from speakers, I've made quite a progression..

Previous post (if interrested):
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ing-sound.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-audyssey.html

My speakers has been tuned, and i found out, that i can get similar results with using manual EQ, with dolby volume instead of "dynamic EQ" and "dynamic volume" audyssey offers..
Many listeners prefer the results of manual EQ. It can be quite labor-intensive, though, especially in a surround system.

Don't know about Dolby Volume specifically, but in general the "dynamic" processors are disruptive to imaging.

Quote:
I like these features, but i don't like the audyssey calibration.. Manual sounds much more natural to me, as i like quite a big roll-off at higher frequencies, due to a small room and delicate hearing..
You might look at Dirac Live. It allows you to:
  • create your own target curve
  • control the range over which auto-eq is applied
Quote:
Now I've got the very last problem, my subwoofer.. I can't make any manual corrections to this, with the manual EQ..

What options do i have with my manual EQ+dolby volume combination?

I have a Denon 4311 receiver..

I'm expecting some sort of device between my receiver and subwoofer..

What is the cheapest option?
Just curious, what are you using for your existing manual EQ?

For EQing subwoofers, a miniDSP 2x4 works well.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-18-15, 06:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Have you tried manual with Dolby volume off? To my knowledge DV is just a dynamic range control function. Ie: when a loud commercial comes on as your watching tv, it levels the output. I think it's like a "night" mode too. (Off the top of my head). I don't use it but would think it would hamper the listening experience. Maybe I'm all wet?

post #4 of 17 Old 05-19-15, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My current manual EQ is the simple one from Denon menus (right beside audyssey funktions).. At this point, this is okay for me (i don't know the true power of a better one anyway )

I only use dolby volume for movies atm, for music i keep it off..

Dirac live requires miniDSP and UMIK-1 mic, which is quite expensive, and just another "1000 point-correction" software that i dont really like.. I read a comparison, and it audyssey and dirac live sound alike..

I just want a simpler EQ to "shape" my response - not flatten it entirely.. I feel these corrections are way too specifik to placement of the microphone.. The sound will be true, in a very small area..

After my post, i found something called the "behringer feedback destroyer", and i can buy the Behringer FBQ1000, quite cheap.. I do need the UMIK-1 for measurements, but i actually really want a proper microphone

But as far as i could read, i can manually adjust the subwoofer with this..

Any suggestions?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-19-15, 12:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
My Onkyo has a similar manual section also, though audyssey does well enough. For now. Lol
What kind of deal did you find not BFD? I have one that I'm not using. I bought it to tidy up my response curve that I plotted with test tones and graph paper. Painful.... Since doing those plots, I've added 2 more subs, and my response is pretty nice, so I don't need it. May do a minidsp someday. Gonna leave it alone for awhile.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-19-15, 12:55 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
My current manual EQ is the simple one from Denon menus (right beside audyssey funktions).. At this point, this is okay for me (i don't know the true power of a better one anyway )

I only use dolby volume for movies atm, for music i keep it off..

Dirac live requires miniDSP and UMIK-1 mic, which is quite expensive, and just another "1000 point-correction" software that i dont really like.. I read a comparison, and it audyssey and dirac live sound alike..

I just want a simpler EQ to "shape" my response - not flatten it entirely.. I feel these corrections are way too specifik to placement of the microphone.. The sound will be true, in a very small area..

After my post, i found something called the "behringer feedback destroyer", and i can buy the Behringer FBQ1000, quite cheap.. I do need the UMIK-1 for measurements, but i actually really want a proper microphone

But as far as i could read, i can manually adjust the subwoofer with this..

Any suggestions?
My suggestion of the mini DSP 2 x 4 is for you to use it as a way to do manual EQ with your sub as you have in the past with your speakers. Or, depending upon your configuration, use it for both. The mini DSP units are pretty easy to work with, have a really nice GUI that runs on a PC, can handle the task of sub and speaker EQ as well as anything else I know of. Just a thought.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-19-15, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm from denmark, so i don't intend to buy any used equibment, from far away.. Thank you for the offer, though!

So, the miniDSP can sit between my amp and subwoofer, and the corrections will still apply in 5.1 mode? I don't use my sub for music, as my mains have plenty of low end..
post #8 of 17 Old 05-20-15, 04:44 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
I'm from denmark, so i don't intend to buy any used equibment, from far away.. Thank you for the offer, though!

So, the miniDSP can sit between my amp and subwoofer, and the corrections will still apply in 5.1 mode? I don't use my sub for music, as my mains have plenty of low end..
Should work fine. I have not done that myself, but have worked with several miniDSP products, and know of no reason it would not give you excellent results.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-20-15, 02:07 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:

If I may offer my opinion. Why not a plug-n-play solution as Anti Mode 8033 to put between your amp and your sub.
A fellow shackster gave me this advise a couple mounth ago and I do not regret it although I choosed Anti mode Dual 2.0 for personnal obscure reason but 8033 could be what you need.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-21-15, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Anti-mode is not exactly cheap :/
If audyssey opened up some sort of "advanced" settings, everyone would be super happy..