Harman audio curve and Equalisation - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 13 Old 08-28-15, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Harman audio curve and Equalisation

Yes, I already looked at Wayne's house curve article. And it will be really helpful.

As my speakers are THX certified and have a frequency response of 80Hz - 20kHz, I will start my measurements with my crossover set on all speakers at 80Hz. What do you think?

One question thought. As the 20 to 80 as a bumb, what is the better way to implement it? Setting my subwoofer level accordingly higher or reproduce the bumb with the eq?

And what will be the effect on the LFE content if I set my level higher?

Also I guess I will remove my BFD1124P and use another BSS channel instead for the subwoofer.

So if I understand you all right, I can use a house curve and measure as a starting point and listen and play with it until it suites my taste right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 08-28-15, 09:45 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
Stratfordguy wrote: View Post
As my speakers are THX certified and have a frequency response of 80Hz - 20kHz, I will start my measurements with my crossover set on all speakers at 80Hz. What do you think?
Good question! I have to leave this one for the experts, but I would like to comment that an 80Hz crossover point is commonly used because we tend to localize sounds above that frequency. No one likes to hear bass moving back and forth between their sub and mains!

I would also like to add that experimenting with crossover points often yields better results than following "rules." I'm not sure about THX-certified speakers, but many others are not accurately rated. Beware of ratings that don't specify the magnitude at cutoff. For example, an 80Hz cutoff frequency would be spec'd at -3dB. So why bring all this to your attention? If your speakers are already rolled-off at 80Hz (by their internal crossovers), then you have no control over the mains' cutoff frequency and slope. That means low frequency duties might need to be handed over to the sub slightly higher for good SPL in the crossover region. But... that in-turn means some low-f notes will start to have localization issues.

Here's an excerpt from a THX speaker review I found. The review is old, but I believe IMHO that the principles still apply:
"(One) pitfall of the THX crossover system is that because of the quick transition from subwoofer to satellite, and the fact that 80 Hz lies in a slightly more sensitive range of human hearing, compared to a full octave down at 40 Hz, the successful integration requires more stringent level-matching. This, in turn, limits the common practice of using the subwoofer as a low frequency tone control. You may get a couple of dB up and down to dial the bass level in to taste, but many listeners typically have the subwoofer 8 -10 dB higher for dramatic effect. That may do with more gradual crossover curves having 40 - 50 Hz points, but at 80 Hz, the sudden shift in frequency response will call attention to itself, generating an irritating boom."

"On top of that, raising the subwoofer level too high brings the high frequency content that the crossover attenuated up as well, without raising the output of the satellites one bit. Hence the subwoofer begins to challenge the output of the satellites that should contribute the vast majority of information in that frequency range, generating confusing localization cues. The whole point of this tangent is that the THX subwoofer/satellite crossover arrangement requires deliberate steps to set up properly, and everything must be correct to make it work. THX processors don't just put a test tone into the setup to make your room shake. If you want to do THX correctly, get an SPL meter or a spectrum analyzer and truly match levels, then crank it two or three decibels if you want. If you need a real bass boost to serve up the goodies the way you like 'em, and want to do it with a THX system, check out a good EQ. AudioControl and Rane both make excellent ones that meet THX certification."

Quote:
One question thought. As the 20 to 80 as a bumb, what is the better way to implement it? Setting my subwoofer level accordingly higher or reproduce the bumb with the eq?

And what will be the effect on the LFE content if I set my level higher?
Definitely use EQ to tame the bump. Increasing subwoofer level boosts all frequencies in its operating range. That will upset the balance of lower frequencies with the rest of the spectrum, causing the sub to stand-out instead of blend-in. LFE content remains unchanged--as it's determined by the source material--but will be boosted along with the bass-managed signal. The final result might be too much bass and/or localization issues with the sub.

Quote:
So if I understand you all right, I can use a house curve and measure as a starting point and listen and play with it until it suites my taste right?
Measure first. Next, correct room/speakers for flat response. Then create house curve and adjust as needed. Correct!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Lumen; 08-28-15 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added supporting data
post #13 of 13 Old 09-09-15, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Great news.

I have made my 5 3 pins phoenix to 3 pins phoenix balanced cables.

Everything is now plugged and it works. No hum, no ground loop, no hiss or noisy channel.

I will also get rid of my BFD1124p and EQ my subwoofer with the BSS.

Now, as soon as I have a day off, it will be measurement time!