Harman audio curve and Equalisation - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 08-11-15, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Harman audio curve and Equalisation

Hi,

I want to try to EQ my HT by myself with some external devices to obtain an Harman like curve instead of using Audyssey MultEQ XT in my Integra DTC 9.8.

My home theater consist of an Integra DTC 9.8 sending his processing to 3 Crown CTS 600 feeding 5 Martin Audio Effect 5 and the LFE to a Behringer BFD1124DSP then to a Martin Logan Abyss.

So my LFE is equalized.

I thought about using the graphic EQ in my Integra but I keep reading that the Graphic EQs do not do the job and that we should use PEQ.

So I read about BSS Blu products... they are too expensive for me. But maybe that an old BSS SW9088 could do the trick. Are 12 bands per channel PEQ is enough to EQ from 80 to 20k?

If so, do you know which filters are apply to obtain an Harman curve?

Thanks!

Last edited by Stratfordguy; 08-12-15 at 06:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-12-15, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Harman audio curve and Equalisation

Another question. Am I on the wrong track thinking that I can do better than Audyssey?
post #3 of 13 Old 08-12-15, 11:13 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
Stratfordguy wrote: View Post
So I read about BSS Blu products... they are too expensive for me. But maybe that an old BSS SW9088 could do the trick. Are 12 bands per channel PEQ is enough to EQ from 80 to 20k?
Interesting, can’t say I’ve ever heard of that one. Be curious to see how it works for you, especially to find out if it’s sufficiently quiet.

Just because you can, don’t be tempted to over-equalize. Six filters for the main channels should be enough in most cases.

Quote:
If so, do you know which filters are apply to obtain an Harman curve?
I don’t know anything about the Harman curve, except that it’s often a mistake to implement someone else’s pre-set room curve. Every room is different, and the slope of the curve required for perceived linear response is highly dependent on the size of the room and distance the seating is from the front speakers. If you haven’t already, you might want to check my article on house curves.

Quote:
Another question. Am I on the wrong track thinking that I can do better than Audyssey?
XT32 (assuming that’s what you mean by XT) is supposed to be Audyssey’s best, especially if you use Wayne Myer’s (AudiocRaver) recommendations for mic locations for the calibration. I think “better” is probably highly relevant here, unless Audyssey is able to duplicate the Harmon curve you’re after.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #4 of 13 Old 08-12-15, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

The JBL Synthesis SDEC 3000, 3500 and 4500 are rebadge BSS Soundweb products so I guess it will do just fine in home setups. Let's hope the old 9088 is as silent as the newest generation.

As for the Harman curve, here is what it looks like:

That is what I want to achieve from all speakers at my sweet spot.

As for Audyssey, it is just the XT version, not the XT32.

It is not that it sound bad. It is just that I want to try something else and I tought about PEQ.

Last edited by Stratfordguy; 08-12-15 at 12:26 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-13-15, 09:20 AM
HTS Reviewer

Keep in mind that Audyssey does more than just apply EQ filters to each channel.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-13-15, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Peter,

Can you tell me what you are refering to? Level, Distance, X-Over or something else?

And by the way, do you think we can do better manually than Audyssey MultEQ XT?

Thank you.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-13-15, 03:17 PM
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
Hi Peter,

Can you tell me what you are refering to? Level, Distance, X-Over or something else?

And by the way, do you think we can do better manually than Audyssey MultEQ XT?

Thank you.
Yes - in general, the room correction packages try to optimize phase, crossover, impulse, level matching, and timbre matching, etc based on measured response, reflections, modes, etc. in your room. I won't pretend to have a complete understanding of the science. I do know that certain issues can't be corrected with EQ filters alone. EQ is certainly a big part of the change we notice, but all aspects are designed to work together.

Speaking purely in terms of EQ and measured frequency sweep response, I do believe an informed person can do better than XT with a manually adjustable PEQ. When it comes to measuring and correcting for phase, impulse, delay, etc I think most people are better off allowing an automated system like Audyssey to do that.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-13-15, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I finally bought a BSS Soundweb 3088. I guess I will have a lot of fun playing with it

Last edited by Stratfordguy; 08-13-15 at 07:19 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-28-15, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I just receive my BSS. It is in great condition and is working fine. Now, need to find some time to integrate it in the HT chain.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-28-15, 08:37 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
I just receive my BSS. It is in great condition and is working fine. Now, need to find some time to integrate it in the HT chain.
Congrats! It's always fun to get presents in the mail! Hope it adds to your enjoyment of your system!

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
Just because you can, donít be tempted to over-equalize. Six filters for the main channels should be enough in most cases.

I donít know anything about the Harman curve, except that itís often a mistake to implement someone elseís pre-set room curve. Every room is different, and the slope of the curve required for perceived linear response is highly dependent on the size of the room and distance the seating is from the front speakers. If you havenít already, you might want to check my article on house curves.

Use 3 or 4 of the six filters for the bass region below 200-300Hz. Bass is problematic and usually needs more help than upper frequencies, which combine to produce non-equalizable comb-filtering. Happily, such filtering mostly goes unnoticed by our limited human hearing. I would use the remaining 1 or 2 PEQs to tame peaks under 3kHz. Use some of the unit's remaining PEQ to create your house curve. But like Wayne says, don't go overboard. Keep in mind that the curve you want at first probably won't sound like you thought it would, so you'll need to repeat the process more than once to get the results you're looking for. In other words, house curves involve personal taste in addition to the factors Wayne mentioned.

Have you had a chance to review Wayne's house curve article? Thoughts?

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am