In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 31 Old 01-08-17, 02:55 PM
Shackster

Re: In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP

My thoughts on audyssey are not to positive, but i have yet to see audyssey on any two channel system, it is not needed. But Cnet has an interesting article on it taken straight from Chris Kyriakakis, Audyssey's CTO and founder, and here is a link to the article.

https://www.cnet.com/news/home-theat...dos-and-donts/

And to the OP, if you are using a good preamp or integrated preamp. You shouldn.t need to use any tonal enhancements. All i tried to do was give you some good options. Take your time do your research, and pick what best fits your needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 01-08-17, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Truthsayer wrote: View Post
My thoughts on audyssey are not to positive, but i have yet to see audyssey on any two channel system, it is not needed. But Cnet has an interesting article on it taken straight from Chris Kyriakakis, Audyssey's CTO and founder, and here is a link to the article.

https://www.cnet.com/news/home-theat...dos-and-donts/

And to the OP, if you are using a good preamp or integrated preamp. You shouldn.t need to use any tonal enhancements. All i tried to do was give you some good options. Take your time do your research, and pick what best fits your needs.
Audyssey does a great job in my room. Does it need to be setup properly? Yes, and that's basically what the article said that you linked. I was a little skeptical with how old the article was after reading the last paragraph."I almost forgot to mention it, but Audyssey just announced a new setup system, MultEQ XT32, that uses higher-resolution digital-signal processing algorithms for even better sound quality."

Last edited by JBrax; 01-08-17 at 04:22 PM.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-08-17, 04:13 PM
Shackster

winston

Smile Re: In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP

BigTerminator, I would suggest that you give Emo bassX PT-100 a try If it doesn't work out for you holla back at them within 30 days and return it. it is my experience that the PT-100 is really a lot of preamp at that price point of $299.00-15% = $254.00 if you live here in the states, the sale is on now so now is a good time to take one for a spin

in my setup, I split the duties of one of my first Gen XPA-2 RCA input with the source from the Onkyo AV receiver TX-SR809, (and the PT-100 for CD/FM/AM/Computer/USB Audio) plus I have it Triggered with the XPA-2, I'm happy with it so far

anyways I wish you great sounds from whatever you choose

Chet Baker-Trumpet
Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
Herbie Mann-Flute
Bill Evans-Piano
Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
(....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

post #14 of 31 Old 01-09-17, 03:48 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
My thoughts on audyssey are not to positive, but i have yet to see audyssey on any two channel system, it is not needed.
If its purpose is to equalize the speakers (any and all) to correct for room influences, then it does not matter how many channels there are in use if the room stays the same. Do you have any logic behind your assertion?

Kal Rubinson
post #15 of 31 Old 01-09-17, 04:09 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

As for a pre amp this deal on accessories4less cannot be beat.....
Attached Thumbnails
In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP-marantz-8801.jpg  

post #16 of 31 Old 01-09-17, 05:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
As for a pre amp this deal on accessories4less cannot be beat.....
While I agree that's a great deal it's way out of the OP's stated budget.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-10-17, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well, I ended up going with the MiniDSP 2x4HD. For $205 this thing is a steal. It has a DAC, Pre-Amp (volume control via IR remote), 4 outputs for a true 2.2 setup, parametric EQ, crossovers and FIR filtering. It is loaded. Replaced my Emotiva Stealth DC-1 with it and the DAC performs identically and even the Emotiva's remote works with the MiniDSP! My Panasonic remote doesn't work but somehow my Emotiva one does. I was most worried the MiniDSP's pre-amp capability with the IR remote, but the range is great and the volume increments are implemented well.

Gazoink is right about the need for room correction. This $200 MiniDSP will outperform any $1000 DAC/Pre-Amp on the market merely to the fact that you can implement an equalization. DAC's sound extremely similar so any benefit will be negligible. The difference in having a properly setup crossover, and EQ will make a world of a difference however. And I am sure the Dirac software will bring this device to another level.

My living room is extremely bright so the treble needs to be toned down. My speakers are Emotiva Airmotiv 5S's. Their AMT makes heavenly treble, but the room makes the treble harsh. In my bedroom the treble was perfect at 0dB. In the living room at -2dB it is very bright. With the MiniDSP I can implement my house curve that can tame the treble while raising the bass to satisfying levels. Having EQ'd my JBL LSR305's on my PC, they have also improved massively. Treble is less shrill, mids cleaned up and bass is flattened and elevated to the point that I get low end all the way down to 40Hz with no need of having a subwoofer.

Overall I am a big believer in Equalization and very happy with my decision to get the 2x4HD. I still need to keep on learning on how to fully utilize its capabilities. The room is utter , but the setup sounds amazing.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-10-17, 12:41 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
If its purpose is to equalize the speakers (any and all) to correct for room influences, then it does not matter how many channels there are in use if the room stays the same. Do you have any logic behind your assertion?
As the article stated it's only useful when using small main speakers ( that coming from the head honcho himself)not me, But that's besides the point. Personally i just never saw the need for it, In a proper quality 2 channel pre amp, it should already be properly equalized. And no enhancement, nor tonal adjustments needed. Remember we were speaking of a 2 channel system originally, not a multi speaker layout. Speaker placement will play the biggest roll in a 2 channel system.

Last edited by Truthsayer; 01-10-17 at 01:15 AM.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-10-17, 12:45 AM
Shackster

Bigterminato, glad you picked something out that fits your needs, as long as you are happy with you choice, thats all that matters.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-10-17, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the suggestions Truthsayer.

Quote:
As the article stated it's only useful when using small main speakers ( that coming from the head honcho himself), But that's besides the point. In a proper quality 2 channel pre amp, it should already be properly equalized. And no enhancement, nor tonal adjustments needed. Remember we were speaking of a 2 channel system originally, not a multi speaker layout. Speaker placement will play the biggest roll in a 2 channel system.
Still confused though what you mean by this. What do you mean already properly equalized? And what does a "proper" pre-amp have to do with that?

Any speaker in any room will have issues. More so when the speaker system can go lower, as bass is always problematic with a room's acoustics. EQ should be the last step in the entire process. Placement is crucially important, especially when subwoofers are involved.

My bedroom as an example has the WORST bass response I have ever seen. In my previous house in a smaller but more rectangular room, bass went down to 27Hz, but in my new room I was going no lower than my JBL LSR305's. For reference, in my 4000 cubic ft. living room, the subs go to 30Hz with a smooth overall response. And this was with single and dual subs, tested everywhere in the bedroom. It was the first time I encountered having to be "required" to use an EQ. Doing so I was able to get fairly flat bass down to 30Hz. But I have since gave up on having subs in my bedroom and will be rocking the monitors all by themselves.

Room treatment is crucial as well in removing room modes as well as taming high frequencies. It is always best to get the system sounding its absolute best before any EQ'ing is done. Now I can't really have any treatment so I have to make due with optimizing the EQ as best I can. I have made my system sound as good as it can through placement of the mains and subs. But no pre-amp can fix the echoing in my living room without itself being very colored. I would rather tame the highs through an EQ then spend a lot of money on a pre-amp with built in roll off of the treble. This setup is very flexible and would be able to handle any room I throw at it with the right adjustments.