In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #21 of 31 Old 01-10-17, 01:40 AM
Shackster

Re: In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP

BigT, just talking about a quality preamp, being properly balanced and having the pureist signal thats possible. Totally understand what your saying about room accoustic issues. Never worried much about the bass response from the main front speakers as long as the bass roll off was matched from the sub.

As far as crossover points, thats why i had suggested the parasound where they can be set. But personally never needed any room
(speaker) equalizing in a two channel set up. A surround unit, yes i agree a 100% needed.

But for a 2 channel or 2.1 channel, all i need is a quality preamp, properly balanced, pure direct signal, no bass or tone enhancements, sweet amp, speakers and sub, and im good to go. Rock on my friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 01-10-17, 11:29 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Truthsayer wrote: View Post
As the article stated it's only useful when using small main speakers ( that coming from the head honcho himself)not me,
Really. I do not see that. I see a reference (not a quote) saying "Kyriakakis advises that if you have a subwoofer, all of your speaker-size settings should be "small." I also see a statement by Guttenberg (not Kyriakakis) commenting: "Or do what I do at home: stick with stereo home theaters. No setup skills (other than proper speaker placement) are required, there are no setup menus to navigate, and HT 2.0 is nearly impossible to get wrong." I would hardly regard Steve as expert in this and his conclusion is simplistic. (FWIW, I have spoken with and consulted Kyriakakis many times.)

Quote:
Personally i just never saw the need for it, In a proper quality 2 channel pre amp, it should already be properly equalized. And no enhancement, nor tonal adjustments needed.
That has nothing to do with room acoustics.

Quote:
Remember we were speaking of a 2 channel system originally, not a multi speaker layout. Speaker placement will play the biggest roll in a 2 channel system.
Of course but stereo systems are still subject to the same acoustical influences. You can ignore them but that does not mean that they do not play an important role. Try reading a relevant book about it. Toole, Winer or Everest will do.

Kal Rubinson
post #23 of 31 Old 01-11-17, 03:07 AM
Shackster

Not going to argue, just giving my opinion.

Last edited by Truthsayer; 01-13-17 at 11:35 PM.

post #24 of 31 Old 01-11-17, 03:57 AM
Senior Shackster

[quote=Truthsayer;1539858]
Quote:
Kal Rubinson;

Of course but stereo systems are still subject to the [B
wrote:
same [/B]acoustical influences. You can ignore them but that does not mean that they do not play an important role. Try reading a relevant book about it. Toole, Winer or Everest will do.

Kal, never said their was no acoustical influences, of course there are, and always ill be no matter the room, speakers, or equipment used. What i said and will reiterate was, speaker placement plays the biggest role in a two channel set up. You don't agree, fine. I don't need to read a book that you apparently are obsessing over, and i'm happy for you that you have read them.

Gees, are you going to troll and stalk all my post's? Get over yourself already.
Um...Kal had a point. You said, "But for a 2 channel or 2.1 channel,all i need is a quality preamp, properly balanced, pure direct signal, no bass or tone enhancements"...which is a fairly incomplete picture. Oh, sorry, if it's all You need, fine. It's not all that is needed for accurate high quality sound reproduction.

I find the books very informative even after many decades in audio.
Lumen likes this.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-11-17, 10:23 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

[removed by wm]

Kal Rubinson
post #26 of 31 Old 01-11-17, 11:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

[removed by wm]

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-11-17, 10:07 PM
Shackster

[removed by wm]
post #28 of 31 Old 01-12-17, 07:15 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
Truthsayer wrote: View Post
One's personal preference is neither wrong nor misinformation.
True, unless you suggest that speaker placement and a magical preamp alone can somehow mitigate listening room modal issues.
They can't...and the thread topic is specifically about that. You are indeed entitled to your preference, but your preference in no way addresses the actual issue of room acoustics/modal problems. Kal's and other responses did.
Seems like BigT found a real solution for room acoustics issues, a MiniDSP 2x4HD

cheers

AJ

post #29 of 31 Old 01-12-17, 11:29 PM
Shackster

[removed by wm]
post #30 of 31 Old 01-13-17, 08:07 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

[removed by wm]

AJ