In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-01-17, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP

Hello Everyone,

Currently I am running a set of powered monitors along side a pair of powered subwoofers in my living room. I am currently lending my Emotiva Stealth DC-1 to take care of pre-amp duties, but I would like to have it back at my desktop. Having measured the setup, the bass needs a bit of work and the treble needs to be tamed as the room is an echo chamber (20 ft. ceilings). I have measured and EQ'd the setup using REW anmd EqualizerAPO, but I would like this EQ to apply to all my sources going to the TV.

Here are some options that I have come up with.

Emotiva PT-100 + MiniDSP 2X4
Random AVR (acting as a pre-amp) + MiniDSP 2x4
MiniDSP 2x4HD
OpenDRC-DA

My biggest worry is the pre-amp, it needs to have a DAC with optical input, have volume control with a remote and I would appreciate a volume level being displayed. Must be family friendly in usage, which my current Stealth DC-1 succeeds at.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-02-17, 02:27 AM
Shackster

Re: In need of a Pre-Amp and a room correcting DSP

If you like emotiva, thats always an option. But i personally wouldn't go with any of the options you have listed.

Like you, i was sort of in the same boat needing another pre amp, for a second 2 channel set up. After listening and auditioning to many, it was a simple choice to go with Parasound. [edited by wm] Parasound currently has 3 or 4 options and all are Fantastic, P5, the halo integrated, c2100 or even a few older models still available. you just need to decide which one fits your suitability. You wont be disappointed.

After all the systems i have owned in the past 30+ yrs, i run the halo integrated in my from room. Yet im by bedroom, still running the onkyo tx-sv 717 pre pro. The onkyo with my anthem mca amp, has just been hard to beat. No matter what speakers i throw at that combo, its just pure audio sweetness.

Anyways, good luck on what ever tyou choose.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-03-17, 08:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

A receiver with pre outs may give you the most bang for buck. Pre pros cost substantially more and seldom offer the features that receivers do without breaking the bank and usually have outdated processing where in a receiver you would get Dolby Atmos for example.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 31 Old 01-03-17, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm definitely open to an AVR with pre-outs. I attempted to use a Yamaha RX-V367, but the analog outs only work with the analog inputs, so no optical or HDMI, and it is only a fixed level out, so no volume control. I would like the entire budget to be under $400, including the pre-amp and the DSP, so Parasound is out of the question. This is only a 2 channel setup so I really only need a receiver that can accept optical and control the volume. Any suggestions? Willing to buy used.

So far no one has addressed the DSP side of things. Should I just get a MiniDSP 2x4 after getting my pre-amp? Can any of these receivers work with REW? I am not interested in using the receivers built in room correction as they seem to be pretty mediocre and I would like to do it my way.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-03-17, 06:31 PM
Shackster

Go to amazon and check out the onkyo 9050 should fit your needs and then some. Its an integrated pre amp, with built in dac.

Or check out the parasound Zpre2 and c2100 both in your budget. the onkyo 9050 and the c2100 also have the sub option for a 2.1 system.

I really think you would like the onkyo 9050. Has all the inputs you discussed plus built in amp, but you can also connect your own amp, plus a sub. I have personally auditioned this unit at advanced audio here in wichita, and sounds really good. If my current 25 yr old onkyo in the bedroom keeps acting up with power button. I am going to replace it with the 9050.

Good luck enjoy and rock on with quality.
tonyvdb likes this.

Last edited by Truthsayer; 01-03-17 at 06:33 PM. Reason: mispelling lol
post #6 of 31 Old 01-04-17, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at AVR's and am leaning more towards what Marantz have to offer, specifically getting one of their older models second hand. Remember the whole system is self powered so my main concern is having pre-outs and possibly an included DSP. The Onkyo does not have a display nor does the Parasound, and having a remote is a must.

So far I am considering the Marantz NR1605, SR5008, SR6008. Do you have any experience with Marantz?

I feel this might be a better route as it is very versatile for whatever I may use it for in the future if I decided to use it as more than just a pre-amp in the future. It has a remote, display and plenty of I/O.

Now the question is if I do get one of these AVR's, would I be able to forgo getting a MiniDSP. I am not interested in using Audyssey to calibrate my system, but how advanced is the manual EQ'ing? Would a AVR with a more advanced form of Audyssey have a better manual EQ?
post #7 of 31 Old 01-04-17, 03:09 AM
Shackster

Quote:
BigTerminator wrote: View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at AVR's and am leaning more towards what Marantz have to offer, specifically getting one of their older models second hand. Remember the whole system is self powered so my main concern is having pre-outs and possibly an included DSP. The Onkyo does not have a display nor does the Parasound, and having a remote is a must.

So far I am considering the Marantz NR1605, SR5008, SR6008. Do you have any experience with Marantz?

I feel this might be a better route as it is very versatile for whatever I may use it for in the future if I decided to use it as more than just a pre-amp in the future. It has a remote, display and plenty of I/O.

Now the question is if I do get one of these AVR's, would I be able to forgo getting a MiniDSP. I am not interested in using Audyssey to calibrate my system, but how advanced is the manual EQ'ing? Would a AVR with a more advanced form of Audyssey have a better manual EQ?

yes marantz is ok if you go to the top end. Audyssey really only useful for setting up a surround unit. Units i suggested are very versatile as well.

But i thought you were only concerned about having having 2 channel stereo and sound quality. If you want surround,plenty to choose from, and marantz is fine. But if you truly want the best sound get Parasound c2100 or the Onkyo A 9050.
if you can afford the m nr1605, then you can afford the parasound classic2100, the 2100 is a far superior product. If your wanting an integrated with built in amps and preouts for your own amp, then i say the onkyo 9050.

The parasound does have a basic display and i dont believe the onkyo has one, but why do you need or want a display anyway.
Parasound has great speaker set up options.

Also remember with a good quality integrated or preamp, you dont or shouldn't need to use any bass or tone enhancements. You should be really impressed with the noise floor on Parasound and onkyo, dead quiet.

In the end can give you all sorts of recommendations for and against a product, but it boils down to your needs and sound desires.
Let me know what you decide. good luck ( parasound and onkyo both have remotes)

Last edited by Truthsayer; 01-04-17 at 03:15 AM. Reason: forgot remotes
post #8 of 31 Old 01-08-17, 08:55 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Truthsayer wrote: View Post
Audyssey really only useful for setting up a surround unit.
If I may offer another viewpoint...Audyssey is most often found on surround AVRs, but is applicable to any speaker plan. It will calibrate any (logical) combination of speakers connected.
Quote:
Also remember with a good quality integrated or preamp, you dont or shouldn't need to use any bass or tone enhancements.
The application of tone enhancements (equalization) is a function of of the speaker performance and interface with the room, and has nothing whatever to do with the quality of the electronics. Going one step further, there practically no speakers, and definitely no rooms, that couldn't benefit from some form of equalization. Since speakers and rooms, and especially the combination of the two, comprise a rather complex set of sound modification mechanisms, you're already dealing with some serious negative EQ to begin with. It only makes sense to attempt to counter it. The logic that an unequalized two-channel system is somehow "pure" is quite in error. It's already fully equalized by its very nature. That's why I suggest that having Audyssey, or some other form of room cal, is fairly important to any system.
Quote:
You should be really impressed with the noise floor on Parasound and onkyo, dead quiet.
As should anything be relative to source and room noise.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-08-17, 11:58 AM

Ron

My System

If you are looking for sound quality for music... I would say go with Yamaha as they are known for their excellent Audio, and reliability. I have a Yamaha again, and I love it. The app i use to control it is also much better than the one Denon had (which is most likely the same as Marantz has).

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #10 of 31 Old 01-08-17, 02:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
If you are looking for sound quality for music... I would say go with Yamaha as they are known for their excellent Audio, and reliability. I have a Yamaha again, and I love it. The app i use to control it is also much better than the one Denon had (which is most likely the same as Marantz has).
I would also take a good hard look at Yamaha as well as Marantz.