Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Default Surround Mode?

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Oleson M.D. 
#1 ·
Ok...with a disc player and a preamp processor that does Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-Master HD Audio, plus all of the legacy formats, what is the default audio for the newer movies encoded with Dolby Atmos? I'm guessing Dolby TrueHD?

How much audio (if any) are we missing by not having the latest audio processing technology?

Is it truly worth spending $$$ for the upgrade?

The Integra DHC-80.3 9.2 has front "Height" channels. I am not using them at the present time. Might these replicate Atmos surround to a certain degree?

#2 ·
Ok...with a disc player and a preamp processor that does Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-Master HD Audio, plus all of the legacy formats, what is the default audio for the newer movies encoded with Dolby Atmos? I'm guessing Dolby TrueHD?

How much audio (if any) are we missing by not having the latest audio processing technology?

Is it truly worth spending $$$ for the upgrade?

The Integra DHC-80.3 9.2 has front "Height" channels. I am not using them at the present time. Might these replicate Atmos surround to a certain degree?

Good questions.
Yes it’s Dolby trueHD+atmos.(or DTSX)

How much are you missing? Not a LOT necessarily, but the juice is worth the squeeze. It’s definitely more immersive. As in the past, some tracks are much better and use the format better. My system is 7.3.4 and the experience is better in every way than when I was using 7.3.

Worth the $$$? Only you can decide but for ME, it was.
No. The front height, pl-IIZ will not replicate atmos. Wishful thinking. Lol

Also, DSU and dts NX upmix legacy tracks very nicely creating playback that can be almost as good as the real thing.

FWIW, IMO 5.x.4 is better than 7.x.2. It’s worth having four top speakers vs two, as long as you have some space between the LP and back wall.

#3 ·
Had a long conversation with a high end audio/video dealer about this. To make all this happen, we would have to "squeeze" over $5,000 from our bank account.
That includes new speakers, AV Processor, Blu-ray player, another amplifier, plus professional custom wiring.

We both came to the conclusion that at this stage, the expense is not justified.

#8 ·
My choice in preamps is either Integra, or NAD. My audio system is all separates.

Certainly there are less expensive ways to do this. Just considering all options. My current system does just fine, minus the Atmos. We may just ride it out and see what comes down the pike at a later date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.