SACD Sampling Rate confusion - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 05-02-11, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Seth D.

SACD Sampling Rate confusion

So was listening to my Living Stereo SACD of Rachmaninoff Concerto #3 tonight and comparing my new(er) Sony BDP-S370 to my Yamaha DVD-C961 and was surprised to see the Yamaha sampling @ 88.2 kHz Sony playing back @ 176 kHz. Any idea why my Yamaha wouldn't sample at the same rate as the Sony?

Strangely enough, the Yamaha sounds more articulate to my ears. My receiver is a Denon AVR-1909 and am using HDMI on both playback units.

Thoughts & insights appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-11, 06:26 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Re: SACD Sampling Rate confusion

A sampling rate of 88.2 (or 2 x 88.2 = 176) theoretically shouldn't have much difference on the sound.
Personally I think any difference between the two would be in the analog filtering stage.
The only real way to test this is to do a double blind test, where you score the sound without knowing which unit is playing. Or simply play the discs on the unit you prefer........

Cheers,
Bill

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-11, 08:26 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
ndurantz wrote: View Post
So was listening to my Living Stereo SACD of Rachmaninoff Concerto #3 tonight and comparing my new(er) Sony BDP-S370 to my Yamaha DVD-C961 and was surprised to see the Yamaha sampling @ 88.2 kHz Sony playing back @ 176 kHz. Any idea why my Yamaha wouldn't sample at the same rate as the Sony?
Designer's choice. All the Oppos, for example, will output only 88.2 from SACD while the Yamaha BD-A1000 will do 176.4 as will the Sonys.

Quote:
Strangely enough, the Yamaha sounds more articulate to my ears.
I doubt it is the sampling rate. The Yahamas tend to have a brighter, more detailed treble, generically.

Kal Rubinson

post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-11, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Seth D.

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote:
A sampling rate of 88.2 (or 2 x 88.2 = 176) theoretically shouldn't have much difference on the sound.
Personally I think any difference between the two would be in the analog filtering
Just to make sure this nub understands, there is an actually a difference between 88.2 and 176.4 sampling rates, but when all is said and done, we are splitting hairs as the audible difference is minimal.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-11, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Seth D.

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote:
I doubt it is the sampling rate. The Yahamas tend to have a brighter, more detailed treble, generically.
That makes sense, as what I was hearing in the upper range.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-23-11, 11:43 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

My MARANTZ DV6001 has an upsampling option, maybe the SONY too ??

Last edited by RTS100x5; 08-23-11 at 11:50 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-11, 08:29 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
My MARANTZ DV6001 has an upsampling option, maybe the SONY too ??
AFAIK, no consumer product up-samples SACD.

Kal Rubinson
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-11, 02:43 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

true yes, I was a bit misleading, I forgot he was listening to SACD. As far as playback of my SACD and DVD-A I always use the analog 7.1 output vs HDMI. Is there any technical difference ?? My reason for this is my analog stage has been modded w BURSON discreet opamps and wouldnt be part of the HDMI signal path... Also the recorded sampling rate of 96khz / 24bit is preserved and not resampled by a DVD player or otherwise..that I know of .......
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-11, 03:28 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
true yes, I was a bit misleading, I forgot he was listening to SACD. As far as playback of my SACD and DVD-A I always use the analog 7.1 output vs HDMI. Is there any technical difference ??
OK. I prefer using the HDMI but it depends on what you connect it to.

Quote:
My reason for this is my analog stage has been modded w BURSON discreet opamps and wouldnt be part of the HDMI signal path... Also the recorded sampling rate of 96khz / 24bit is preserved and not resampled by a DVD player or otherwise..that I know of .......
The recorded sampling rate of SACD is not 96khz / 24bit but, rather, "The SACD sampling rate is 2.8224 MHz and the resolution is one bit." Arithmetic tells us that this is somewhat more than 24bit/176.4kHz.

Kal Rubinson
post #10 of 11 Old 08-27-11, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Seth D.

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote:
The recorded sampling rate of SACD is not 96khz / 24bit but, rather, "The SACD sampling rate is 2.8224 MHz and the resolution is one bit." Arithmetic tells us that this is somewhat more than 24bit/176.4kHz.
I didn't realize that (never have been the best at math). So those 24/96 downloads from places like HD Tracks are lower fidelity than most SACD? Sorry if I am off in my understanding.