Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified! - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Re: Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

1. It depends on how far the laptop is from the receiver. The RS232/USB adapter is only a few feet long. I forget exactly how long
2. Yep, that's what I used it with.

5. The Audyssey Pro calibrations basically replace what would have been the Audyssey cal. You can choose to turn Dynamic EQ on/off (just like before the calibration)
7. I've been told that Pro doesn't bring XT up to par with XT32 - simply because XT32 has better resolution (more processing power). I'm not sure if that answers your question? It definitely IMPROVES XT. I think XT32 w/Audyssey Pro would be the ideal solution. I was told by Chris @ Audyssey that an AVR (like Onkyo 886) with a standalone MultEQ is still not as powerful as a AVR w/XT32.

Wow, Kal beat me in a hurry! Thanks Kal!

Edit: I removed the ones I wasn't sure about - but Kal knew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 12:29 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I have heard of people connecting via there home network, if you have your Denon 4311 on your network than you can connect that way. You would only then need to connect the supplied balanced cable from the mic pre-amp to the input audyssey requires for the Denon 4311.

Make sure to check the Audyssey link if your looking for a new receiver/pre-pro to see if there installer ready: http://www.audyssey.com/products?ins...id=All&ptype=5
post #93 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I have heard of people connecting via there home network, if you have your Denon 4311 on your network than you can connect that way. You would only then need to connect the supplied balanced cable from the mic pre-amp to the input audyssey requires for the Denon 4311.

Make sure to check the Audyssey link if your looking for a new receiver/pre-pro to see if there installer ready: http://www.audyssey.com/products?ins...id=All&ptype=5
I know the 886 has a network port too, I just don't remember if the Pro software supports communicating with the 886 over network.

Hopefully faster since the RS232 link seems SLOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #94 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 12:39 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
I know the 886 has a network port too, I just don't remember if the Pro software supports communicating with the 886 over network.

I connect to my 5508 using the ethernet port on the back, I wonder if you could do the same with the 886? I have actually never connected any other way but this way is SLOW as well when transferring data.
I did time it once to see how long it took from the start of one calibration point until it was ready to take another measurement. It was about 4 to 5 minutes if I remember correctly so 3 measurement points took 12 to 15 minutes.
post #95 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 01:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:

I connect to my 5508 using the ethernet port on the back, I wonder if you could do the same with the 886? I have actually never connected any other way but this way is SLOW as well when transferring data.
I did time it once to see how long it took from the start of one calibration point until it was ready to take another measurement. It was about 4 to 5 minutes if I remember correctly so 3 measurement points took 12 to 15 minutes.
Yes very slow.
post #96 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 02:56 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Thanks for the answers.

#3 is a bummer. It would be nice if Audyssey would show you the results of its filtering. I suppose I should have figured as much since you are not taking additional measurements with Audyssey after the filters are set, which would be the only way to know the results.

Of course I would double check it with REW anyway.

My wireless connection in the theater room is unreliable. I need to run an ethernet cable to the room and stick another router in there.

I was considering the Marantz 7005, but it is looking more like it will be the Onkyo 5508 or the Integra 80.2 since I don't wanna give up XT32 and Sub EQ HT.
post #97 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 04:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

#3 is a bummer. It would be nice if Audyssey would show you the results of its filtering. I suppose I should have figured as much since you are not taking additional measurements with Audyssey after the filters are set, which would be the only way to know the results.

Of course I would double check it with REW anyway.

My wireless connection in the theater room is unreliable. I need to run an ethernet cable to the room and stick another router in there.

I was considering the Marantz 7005, but it is looking more like it will be the Onkyo 5508 or the Integra 80.2 since I don't wanna give up XT32 and Sub EQ HT.
The pro program does provide the calculated results of its filters but not the actual. The initial measurements prior to the audyssey filets are shown. These are quite useful in terms of tuning the room and speaker locations.
post #98 of 167 Old 02-08-12, 04:51 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post

I do not know about the 886 but the product application notes for MultEQPro should say. The 80.2/5508 works only via ethernet.

Kal Rubinson
post #99 of 167 Old 02-09-12, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Pics of the kit added to the beginning of the thread on 2/8.

post #100 of 167 Old 02-17-12, 06:53 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I finally got my kit in today. I had ordered a pair of kits for our reviewers, Dale and Dave, and they came in earlier in the week. My kit was stranded at UPS because they had the wrong address on it, so it got delayed.

I think I may have gotten a very old kit. It does not have the APM-1 mic, it has an MM01 mic with the standard XLR connection. The microphone box had the microphone and two empty cutouts. I am not sure if there is something missing... and there is no flexible mic extension. There are also no mini-XLR cables or adapters (obviously not needed), but there are four standard XLR cables. Not sure why you would need four. There is one XLR to RCA adapter and there is also the USB printer cable... not sure what purpose it serves. I DID NOT get a USB to RS232 cable. There is also a letter dated back in 2007 in the kit, so my guess is this is one of the first kits they packaged.

I will most likely package this back up and send it back for a newer updated kit with all the trimmings that are supposed to be there.

Bummer... as there will be no setting up Pro this weekend.