Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 04:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Works great with my 80.2. I really like the ability to trim the treble a bit up in my vantages. I think it is straight forward. Just click on the region you want to adjust. The frequency is shown on right and raise or lower. Click on another domain for limitation of the effect.

You must identify the speakers you want the effect for 1 for left front 2 for center etc. This are shown in the beginning of the program after you have logged in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 05:01 PM

Re: Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Works great with my 80.2. I really like the ability to trim the treble a bit up in my vantages. I think it is straight forward. Just click on the region you want to adjust. The frequency is shown on right and raise or lower. Click on another domain for limitation of the effect.

You must identify the speakers you want the effect for 1 for left front 2 for center etc. This are shown in the beginning of the program after you have logged in
Thanks, I think I understand the mechanics on how to make the changes, I guess I need to learn more about what changes to make. I don't know where to start, what changes to make. I want to learn by reading the graphs results after calibration, exactly what changes to make to improve the sound.
post #13 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 05:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Audyssey cuts treble. You might play with raising you left and right speakers from 8k or so about 1.5 db. For my Vantages the mid bass correction that Audessey puts in does not d as good as without it so I took it out. Gives a more "airy" sound stage.

Also look at your subwoofer graph and see if any small tweaks might help.

Then listen

Last edited by jmschnur; 05-31-11 at 07:59 PM.

post #14 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 06:13 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I hope to get around to doing a Pro calibration this weekend if I have a chance.

Just picked up a Onkyo 5508 so want to get a feel for XT32 before I do the Pro.
post #15 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 06:50 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Good idea. I am looking forward to hearing your report on the difference.

Kal Rubinson
post #16 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
Matnick wrote: View Post
Hi,

I owned the pro kit for a few years now and just love it. The most recent software upgrades added the target curve editor which I think is great. But there is one problem, I really don't know how to use it. I don't know whether I should be raising or lowering the grips (I think that is what they call them). Is there somewhere I could read up on and learn how to adjust the curves for each speaker that will maximize the performance and sound of each speaker. I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks,

Matnick
It's all about preference. That's a big reason why Audyssey offers the different target slopes. Some people want a steeper roll off than others..

I don't feel like the +/- 3db is enough to really let you do a good house curve for bass.... but is probably enough to tweak things if something sounds a little off.

After spending too much time reading the Audyssey Master thread ( I think that's what it's called anyway) at AVS, the moral of the story is that some people don't like a flat EQ, thus the flexibility to tweak it to sound how you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I hope to get around to doing a Pro calibration this weekend if I have a chance.

When you get bored with the 5508, please feel free to send it my way!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #18 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
It's all about preference. That's a big reason why Audyssey offers the different target slopes. Some people want a steeper roll off than others..

I don't feel like the +/- 3db is enough to really let you do a good house curve for bass.... but is probably enough to tweak things if something sounds a little off.

After spending too much time reading the Audyssey Master thread ( I think that's what it's called anyway) at AVS, the moral of the story is that some people don't like a flat EQ, thus the flexibility to tweak it to sound how you like.
Thanks but I want to understand what to tweak. Is there a manual or something that explains if I tweak the left side of the graph that say treble will increase, or midranges increase etc. I don't understand what is meant when you say "some people want a steeper roll off than others...". I guess I am trying to learn about the curve and what each point means on the curve. Hope I am explaining myself.

Thanks.
post #19 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Ahh.. I see what you're saying. I think you explained it well. Well, the editor shows the frequency range, low on the left, high on the right. And it shows steps of say, 1K, 5K, 10K.

What ranges go to your midrange or tweeter depend on the crossover built into the speaker. But if the speaker has a tweeter, I would probably say that 5K+ is probably a safe range to say goes to the tweeter. If you want to add some points to the woofer, go for the left, midrange, somewhere near the left/middle, and tweeter on the right.

When I say roll off, what I mean is the downward slope. When there is a downward slope towards the right, that's a roll off on the high frequencies. The steeper the "hill" the quieter the high frequencies will be (the more they are attenuated)- as you get higher and higher.

You can see some different examples of how it can equalize the high frequencies here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=6577

The SMPTE option has the biggest impact on lowering the levels of high frequencies.

post #20 of 167 Old 05-31-11, 09:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
Good idea. I am looking forward to hearing your report on the difference.
I am wondering if I will be able to tell a difference since I don't think I can swap back and forth between XT32 and Pro. I would assume the Pro calibration would just be more accurate mainly due to the much higher quality mic and added processing power of my laptop, you know what they say when you assume though.

I will definitely report back on what I assume is the difference