Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 167 Old 06-03-11, 03:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon
Re: Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
I've not! I've been slacking off. I built a superchunk so I'm sure that's changed the room acoustics a little bit too.

Maybe this weekend with some luck.
You're gonna LOVE the way bass traps work! I think acoustical treatments are some of the best bang-for-the-buck improvements you can do for a room, right after choosing decent speakers.

I'm hopefully going to get to mine also, just been to busy with work and family. I have a side job also where I edit video and audio which has taken up my free time the past couple weekends on some jobs (plus went on a family trip a couple weeks ago). If I can't get to it this week, I'll for sure get to it the following weekend as I'll be caught up with this work. I really want to do some good comparisons between XT, XT32, and XT32 with the Pro Kit (I won't do the Pro-Kit with the XT receiver as it's not the main one for the dedicated room).

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 167 Old 06-03-11, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

I'm really curious to see how your comparisons pan out.

I have thought about getting a standalone Sound Equalizer to go with my 886, but it's probably more sensible to upgrade to a new AVR that supports XT32.

But yeah, I'd love to see how they perform differently in the real world. I'm sure that each new version is incrementally better, but I can't imagine twice the power means twice the improvement. I imagine that subwoofer EQ probably benefits the most, since that's always difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #33 of 167 Old 06-04-11, 01:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Jim,

In my opinion in my room, I already could tell a pretty big difference from XT to XT32. XT32 just seems much more seemless as far as the blend to the subs and created a much more enveloping sound stage. It may not make that much of a difference in a 'good room' that is acoustically treated but I can't judge that part, just what I can hear in my room. This is XT32 without the Pro-Kit. For me, well worth the upgrade. I had the SVS AS-EQ1 to handle multiple subs (very impressive unit by the way), but sold it when I got an XT32 AVR. The AS-EQ1 did a bit better in the bass, but I can probably attribute that to the fact that with the standard measurements in the AVR, you can only take 8 measurements and the AS-EQ1 can take 32 (I used all of them). I have a feeling with the Pro-Kit that it will more then level the playing field and even do better as it also optimizes the XO. I can't wait to see (hear) what it can accomplish. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!

post #34 of 167 Old 06-08-11, 01:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Matnick wrote: View Post
Thank you very much for taking the time and explaining the curve. I think I am starting to understand a little about it now.

See attached results of my last calibration. Do you see any improvements? Should I flatten out the left sides of the graphs?
Hey Matnick,

I just finished doing a Pro calibration my-self, 3 actually

I came on here to post some initial thought then saw your Audyssey Pro plot. The one thing that really jumped out at me is that your main L/R and center channels are set to full range. I recall just reading in the Audyssey Pro guide that, actually I just opened up and here is exactly what it says:

The "Large" setting should be used only when the low frequency capability of a speaker extends below 40 Hz. Even in this case, bass management may be a good idea for the following reasons.

---Audyssey ALFC technology provides higher resolution correction filters on the subwoofer channel than is
possible for satellite speakers.

---Subwoofers usually can produce content below even a very capable full-range speaker.

---A subwoofer is usually better able to produce the lowest frequencies at a level higher than a full-range speaker with less audible distortion

---If no bass management is used, the subwoofer will produce no output when the system is in 2 channel mode.

I know I have read Chris from Audyssey recommend a 80z or higher crossover point regardless of the main speakers bass capability. This was of real interest to me as well since my Mains, Center and surrounds are capable of mid 20hz extension but in no way can they get the level of SPL my subs are capable of so I cross them all at 80hz. For music I prefer a little lower at about 60hz but for movies 80hz is much better so i just keep it there.

Your other speakers at 120hz are fine were they are but you might try the Audyssey recommended crossover points and see how you like it.
post #35 of 167 Old 06-08-11, 01:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I just finished up hopefully my final Pro cal for this week, went through it 3 times to make changes and finally have something that I am happy with. Too bad it's late and I got a busy day tomorrow, only had a chance to listen to one disc but it was the one that didn't sound right but now it sounds great. Hopefully tomorrow everything else sounds just as good

Hey Jim. I know you have the 886 and you know I have one as well that I have been comparing. Before doing the Pro calibration I did listen to the 886 again and while the 5508 is better musically the 886 is still great for movies and I bet with the Pro calibration it would be even closer. If I wasn't in escrow right now for a house that could accommodate 2 systems then I would just stick with the 886 for now and wait to upgrade to a 5509. I am going to keep the 886 and probably spring for the Pro license on it as well if this escrow will ever close. While I have never been the biggest fan of the 886 for music it is killer with movies, I bet with the right tweaking of Pro it would be killer for music too. I just wanted to add that since as much as I like the 5508 I would have been fine waiting for the 5509 or whatever the next one is called since it is only a few months out.

I will add some more comments tomorrow on the Pro when I have had more time to listen.
post #36 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:04 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Update on the Audyssey Pro calibration.

Yesterday I spent more time listening and tweaking. I had initially added a slight house curve, you can only vary by +/-3db, but I decided to take it off. I also went back and forth with keeping the suggested midrange compensation (mid comp from here on out) but in the end I would up keeping it off. I did read Audyssey's thought's on mid comp and that in most speaker designs it makes voices sound more natural but in my case it was the opposite. I am using Emerald Physics CS2 speakers for my mains right now and they use a Behringer DCX2496 as a crossover and EQ as well as some other things. Since it uses an active crossover I read that it has a very steep 8th order digital filter at 1000hz from the woofer to the mid/tweeter so maybe that is why most prefer the mid comp on and I don't?

I have to admit that it was a definite improvement when I removed the mid comp. When I first listened with it engaged I thought I made a mistake doing the Pro calibration as it still had a hollow/thin sound that was my main complaint. The bass has improved after Pro as well and over-all I am happy I did it. I still need to watch more movie content as so far I have spent the majority of my time listening to music which is usually secondary for me but I am enjoying it a lot more.

I will more than likely do a Pro calibration on my Onkyo 886 as well and may just do a comparison between it and the 5508. I have a feeling the 886 is not too far off the 5508 especially after a Pro calibration except for maybe music were the 5508 might have the edge. I have been seeing reports about Onkyo 08 series having problems as well so want to keep the 886 around as it has been my go to during all of this comparing.

I can't say yet how much of an improvement Audyssey Pro has made on movies as I still need to listen more. From what I have heard so far with movies it is not that big of a difference but I have only watched 2 clips. For music it has made a big improvement as I keep forgetting I am trying to evaluate the improvements and wind up listening to entire tracks and discs and just enjoying. I really think that is the best test, when something just pulls you so into the music that you forget what you were doing.

Thanks for putting up this thread Zeitgeist, it really helped to make the first pro calibration go relatively easy.
post #37 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:14 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

One thing I forgot to add:

There is a mini-xlr to rca adapter that comes with the kit and when I first plugged it in I got an error saying the mic was not connected so I pushed it in a little more and everything went fine. When I got to the part were Pro told me to disconnect the mic I had the hardest time getting it off, I thought I might need to use a pair of pliers but was afraid to pull of the RCA connector in the back of the 5508. After a little twisting and gentle rocking I was able to finally get it out but it took awhile. I did run 3 pro cal's so the 2nd and 3rd the plug came off much easier but that first time had me worried.

What I was thinking for anyone who hasn't done it yet is maybe grab and old piece of gear you don't use anymore and connect that rca adapter a few times to loosen it up a bit before connecting it to the receiver your going to calibrate. They seem to be really tight at first but loosen up a little after that so best to get it loose on something you don't care if you pull out the rca plug from.
post #38 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:34 PM
Senior Shackster

You might leave the mid comp in for your surrounds. This takes some tweaking with the curves

I took it off for my Vantages and left it on for the rest. Seems fine so far. But a lot of tweaking in the edits
post #39 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:39 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
You might leave the mid comp in for your surrounds. This takes some tweaking with the curves

I took it off for my Vantages and left it on for the rest. Seems fine so far. But a lot of tweaking in the edits
Does it make that much difference for the surrounds?

So do you turn on mid comp then go into edits and add 3dbs to were the mid comp kicks in for the mains or the other way around? If I remember correctly the mid comp is a dip in the 2K hz range right?
post #40 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

One thing I think Zeitgeist mentioned and I agree with was I wish they made the Left Aux input in the front panel the spot to plug in the mic instead off the input that located in the back. Luckily it is not that hard for me to get back there but if it was located in an enclosed cabinet this would be really tough.