Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified! - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:51 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

I forgot to Thank Sonnie for giving me the opportunity to order the Audyssey Pro kit as well I always appreciate all the great things he does around here. Thanks again Sonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:

Does it make that much difference for the surrounds?

So do you turn on mid comp then go into edits and add 3dbs to were the mid comp kicks in for the mains or the other way around? If I remember correctly the mid comp is a dip in the 2K hz range right?
Yes I did it that way. My center is a stage and it's xover is in the 2k region Seems to be a good choice for the center. mid comp seems to be a good choice for center : better voices etc.

The Vantages are much better without mid comp.

Not sure about surrounds but rear speakers seem a bit more there when called for with mid comp These are nht ceiling. Surrounds are nht dipoles

These comments are for movies and stereo music

Need to see how it works for SACDs
I
post #43 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 08:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:

Does it make that much difference for the surrounds?

So do you turn on mid comp then go into edits and add 3dbs to were the mid comp kicks in for the mains or the other way around? If I remember correctly the mid comp is a dip in the 2K hz range right?
Vantages with pro kit and jl 112 with no mid comp are now very very good with my squeeze touch

post #44 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 09:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:
One thing I think Zeitgeist mentioned and I agree with was I wish they made the Left Aux input in the front panel the spot to plug in the mic instead off the input that located in the back. Luckily it is not that hard for me to get back there but if it was located in an enclosed cabinet this would be really tough.
I left the wire in place. Easier that way
post #45 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 09:40 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
I left the wire in place. Easier that way
That makes sense, just unplug it from the mic pre-amp and your good to go for next time.
post #46 of 167 Old 06-09-11, 09:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:

That makes sense, just unplug it from the mic pre-amp and your good to go for next time.
Exactly
post #47 of 167 Old 06-11-11, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Yes I did it that way. My center is a stage and it's xover is in the 2k region Seems to be a good choice for the center. mid comp seems to be a good choice for center : better voices etc.

The Vantages are much better without mid comp.

Not sure about surrounds but rear speakers seem a bit more there when called for with mid comp These are nht ceiling. Surrounds are nht dipoles

These comments are for movies and stereo music

Need to see how it works for SACDs
I
I decided to make my own mid comp filter and applied it to all the speakers except the left and right mains. I had first thought to engage mid comp then make a filter to reverse it's affects for the mains but then I thought why would I want to add that much processing.

It was easy enough to make my own mid comp filter, I just placed a stationary grip at 1Khz and 3500hz then placed a grip at 2khz and lowered it 3db. The resulting filter has the same effect as the mid comp so I just added the filter to all the speakers except the mains.

I like that I can just load the the previous calibration so that I can go and make changes, you don't have to run measurements again if you are only adding filters, changing crossover points an the like. I just bring the laptop, plug in the ethernet cable. When you start the Pro software it asks for the license key again so keep it in a spot you can cut and paste quick. Once I get to the spot it asks you to check the subs I just get past that to the load measurements spot an I am ready to go.

Anybody have any useful tips or shortcuts?

One thing I had a problem with was using the USB to serial adapter on my windows 7 laptop. Luckily it was easy enough to hook up via ethernet but I am thinking maybe the USB/serial adapter is not W7 compatible?

The Pro kit is very powerful, I am really liking it
post #48 of 167 Old 06-11-11, 07:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Good way to this I may follow your lead on this approach.
post #49 of 167 Old 06-11-11, 08:37 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

What is everyone's thoughts on movie performance after Pro calibration?

I love what it's doing for music but it sounds a little tame for movies. I went back and added a house curve and can see it's effects via the SMS-1 but I think it's something else. I sort of remember having a little more dynamics before Pro but I am going to have to test this out some more tomorrow. I know the 886 is dynamic with movies so sometime this week I will have to compare.
post #50 of 167 Old 06-11-11, 08:47 PM
Senior Shackster

I use dynamic EQ in my 80.2 with movies and that gives a lot of punch and surround ambience etc The setting is key.

Tv movies 10 db is fine

Blue ray I set at 0 or 5

In my two sub bass setup the low end is quite good

I use PLIIx for tv and DVDs. I use dts hd when it is on disk.

By the way Kal Rubinson just said in the Avs thread that what ever problem he found with the 80.2 and the pro kit has now been resolved. He suggests redoing the pro calibration with the latest firmware.

Last edited by jmschnur; 06-14-11 at 08:05 PM.