Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified! - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 167 Old 06-17-11, 11:08 AM

Re: Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

@subcrazy

I have the PR-SC5508 PREAMP connected to the Sunfire TGA7401. That is why I want to know where to get the Pro calibration kit. Anyone have links? You can PM me as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 167 Old 06-17-11, 05:04 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
raddoctor wrote: View Post
@subcrazy

I have the PR-SC5508 PREAMP connected to the Sunfire TGA7401. That is why I want to know where to get the Pro calibration kit. Anyone have links? You can PM me as well.
Go to the Audyssey site and find a local AudysseyPro installer/dealer. Ask him to sell you a kit.

Kal Rubinson
post #63 of 167 Old 06-18-11, 10:49 AM
Shackster

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
I use dynamic EQ in my 80.2 with movies and that gives a lot of punch and surround ambience etc The setting is key.
Tv movies 10 db is fine
Blue ray I set at 0 or 5
Hi. New here but I've picked up a lot of info from the AVS Audyssey thread and having several Denon AVRs. DynEQ is a great feature IMO. Note that it is designed to work correctly at 0 for DVDs and BluRay. Many users find TV requires 10-15 to tame the bass and surrounds.

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
...I use Dynamic EQ as well but when you say 10db for TV is that a setting for more or less from reference in regards to dynamic EQ? I am wondering if I have TV set at 0db right now will setting DYNEQ at 10db give me more or less?...
Hi. What the 10 dB setting does is essentially trim down the input gain 10 dB. Which is exactly what I used to do on my Denon 2809, as it did not have the Dynamic Level Offset feature, when listening to TV or CDs with DynEQ on. When you do this, you can hear the volume get quieter. So then you crank up the MV 10 dB. DynEQ monitors the MV setting and will turn down the DynEQ effect as it thinks you are listening closer to reference level and thus don't need as much of the effect.

post #64 of 167 Old 06-18-11, 10:53 AM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
...Audyssey ALFC technology provides higher resolution correction filters on the subwoofer channel than is possible for satellite speakers...
To be pedantic, that statement is not true for XT32, but is true for all lesser Audyssey versions. And all the other reasons in your post remain valid. 80 Hz remains an excellent xover for most setups IME for all those reasons, though Pro apparently suggests xovers in order of best integration of sub(s)/sats and reportedly often recommends one lower than 80.
post #65 of 167 Old 06-18-11, 11:08 AM
Shackster

Quote:
raddoctor wrote: View Post
Hi new to this forum and am interested in the Audyssey pro calibration kit to purchase but cannot find where to get this...
In addition to Kal's suggestion, you can call Luke 213-625-4300 @ Audyssey Installer Support to obtain the Pro Installer kit ($550 for consumer, less for dealers) and the Pro license for your AVR ($150 to all) direct from Audyssey.
post #66 of 167 Old 06-19-11, 10:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Here are the auddsyey pro graphs before and after the 5/27 integra 80.2 update. Mic position almost the same. Mid bass correction is on the surrounds and center not on the fronts (ML Vantages( .

Clear difference at high end in raw data. I think I hear a difference in low freq impact in movies.
Attached Thumbnails
Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!-after-update.jpg  

Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!-before-update.jpg  

post #67 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 04:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I decided to put my old speakers back in which are a normal 3-way and re-run Pro. I was going back and forth with the mid-range compensation to see which I preferred since it is a more conventional speaker than the Emerald Physics CS2 speakers I had in there before. I could tell the difference between mid comp on/off but it was much closer than before. On the last switch I got a phone call that lasted awhile so when I came back to my system I had forgotten if mid comp was on or off. I ran through my normal test discs and was very satisfied with the sound that the comparisons were over. I actually thought I had left mid comp on but when I clicked the "show results" button the response was flat, no mid comp.

In my system the mid comp seems to recess the vocals. I was actually happy I got distracted so I could listen without knowing if mid-comp was on/off.

Next thing I have to do is re-run XT on the 886 since there are different speakers in the system and compare to the Pro calibrated 5508. I know it's not a fair comparison but I am thinking the 886 is probably not too far off except with music but who knows I may pop for the 886 Pro license and compare them that way but not sure yet.
post #68 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 04:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Be sure to take new raw data with the 5/27 update for your 5508 as Kal suggests It sure makes a difference.

My b&w 801 s from 1981 have an adjustable filter that is essentially what Audyssey does with mid comp.

Putting it in affects voices as you have noted.

I am very curious about the results of your study
post #69 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 05:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Thanks for the reminder on the update. I did run the firmware update but was told I have the latest version.

The vintage 801's are excellent speakers. My old speakers are the Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen II and I have tried in vain to replace them but they have bested every contender I have had in my home. Sometimes I think they just don't make things they way they used to and even VS's VR-4 jr was not as good as my vintage 90's VR-4's.

I have to give it to the Emerald Physics CS2's though. I think they are actually better for movies than the VR4's but musically the the VR4's just do more things right.

One thing I did notice after doing the Pro calibration is I kept the crossovers were Audyssey recommended which was 40hz for all channels. I have to admit that music sounded better than moving the crossovers back to 80hz for all channels. I only move them back to 80hz as movies are my main priority and even though all my VS's speakers are full range they can't play as loud as my subs. If I didn't run out of time I would have went back and listened to some bass intensive movies with the 40hz crossovers, maybe I will re-load the measurements and try it out.
post #70 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 06:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Pro suggested 40 for my rears but they are not full ranges so I brought the xover to the speaker specs.

My fronts in the tv room are ml vantage with the stage as the center.

With dual subs I am happy to have xovers for my vantage at 50 as suggested and 100 for the stage

Looking forward to your comparisons.