Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified! - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 08:24 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

Here's something interesting.

I was messing with the crossovers in Pro then checking the result with my SMS-1, I would have used REW but I have to drag the other laptop over. With the 80hz x-over the bass response wasn't as good as I was expecting in the x-over region so I began experimenting with all the options Pro gave me. I did have the fighter jet scene from live free or die hard cued up as I am very familiar with what that scene should sound like. The options given to me were 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 and full range for my mains but not the surrounds which stopped at 40hz. I tried them all but by far the best sounding and the flattest response was with Audyssey's first recommendation of 40hz all around. At 60hz there was actually a nasty dip right in that area according to the SMS-1 and all other frequency's exhibited a dip or a jagged response except the 40hz x-over which only had a slight peak in the 30 to 40hz range.

I had assumed that whatever the x-over was to the speakers that the subs would be LPF at the same x-over since all the speakers extend to 40hz but I was wrong. Turns out after checking the speaker configuration in the Onkyo's set-up menu that all the speakers are set to 40hz but the subwoofer's LPF/LFE is set to 120hz by Pro so that explains why I am getting so much more bass. Turns out the speakers help smooth out the bass response and it is clearly audible, I got a headache from all the extra bass

I still have to mess with it more but I am done for the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 08:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:
Here's something interesting.

I was messing with the crossovers in Pro then checking the result with my SMS-1, I would have used REW but I have to drag the other laptop over. With the 80hz x-over the bass response wasn't as good as I was expecting in the x-over region so I began experimenting with all the options Pro gave me. I did have the fighter jet scene from live free or die hard cued up as I am very familiar with what that scene should sound like. The options given to me were 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 and full range for my mains but not the surrounds which stopped at 40hz. I tried them all but by far the best sounding and the flattest response was with Audyssey's first recommendation of 40hz all around. At 60hz there was actually a nasty dip right in that area according to the SMS-1 and all other frequency's exhibited a dip or a jagged response except the 40hz x-over which only had a slight peak in the 30 to 40hz range.

I had assumed that whatever the x-over was to the speakers that the subs would be LPF at the same x-over since all the speakers extend to 40hz but I was wrong. Turns out after checking the speaker configuration in the Onkyo's set-up menu that all the speakers are set to 40hz but the subwoofer's LPF/LFE is set to 120hz by Pro so that explains why I am getting so much more bass. Turns out the speakers help smooth out the bass response and it is clearly audible, I got a headache from all the extra bass

I still have to mess with it more but I am done for the night.
Maybe I will go back and try to use the pro's suggestions as close as I can to the limit of the each speakers specs.

Interesting results.
post #73 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 09:40 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Changing the LPF for the LFE has absolutely no effect on the redirected bass regardless of crossover setting.

Kal Rubinson

post #74 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 09:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Of couse but xovers do.

Kal did you find the first choice offered by Audyssey pro was significantly better than the next?

Last edited by jmschnur; 06-22-11 at 09:56 PM.
post #75 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 10:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Of couse but xovers do.

Kal did you find the first choice offered by Audyssey pro was significantly better than the next?
Usually but not always. Unless one is willing to spend a lot of time trying each option, listening and measuring to each channel with/without the sub, taking the top choice is a good idea.

Kal Rubinson
post #76 of 167 Old 06-22-11, 10:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Ok I will redo the xovers and see what happens. However , what about xovers way below the speakers specs ? Couldn't that lead to overdriving the speaker? E.g. Pro says 40 but the 3db spec is 80?
post #77 of 167 Old 06-23-11, 08:04 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Ok I will redo the xovers and see what happens. However , what about xovers way below the speakers specs ? Couldn't that lead to overdriving the speaker? E.g. Pro says 40 but the 3db spec is 80?
I have only seen that, personally, with my surround speakers as my fronts are always pretty full range. However, the surrounds are in corners and enjoy(!) considerable (but bumpy) bass extension, so Audyssey takes advantage of that to extend the bass without danger of overload. Of course, my comments are based, primarily, on music reproduction as HT is a secondary application for me.

Kal Rubinson
post #78 of 167 Old 06-23-11, 02:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote:
I have only seen that, personally, with my surround speakers as my fronts are always pretty full range. However, the surrounds are in corners and enjoy(!) considerable (but bumpy) bass extension, so Audyssey takes advantage of that to extend the bass without danger of overload. Of course, my comments are based, primarily, on music reproduction as HT is a secondary application for me.
My rears are on ceiling and in corner. Lots of boost.

I will follow your lead.

Last edited by jmschnur; 06-23-11 at 08:40 PM.
post #79 of 167 Old 06-28-11, 06:19 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Anyone know if there's a way to lower the LPF in the PRO software? Audyssey Pro lets me change the speaker x-over but not the subs which is locked at 120hz and the only way to change it is in the receiver's speaker configuration menu but I thought that is a no no with Pro.

I went back and did a normal XT32 calibration on my 5508 and it sounded good. I went in and changed my speakers x-over to 80hz and it improved for movies. I then went back and changed the subs x-over from 120 to 80hz and it was even better. I also used the SMS-1 to measure the response of the subs but didn't have the response dips like with PRO when I changed the crossover settings while still in the PRO software.

I am trying to find a good compromise between movies and music as I like the crossovers lower for music but higher with movies. I wish the PRO software would allow you to set different x-overs and levels for music and movies, that would be really slick and for the price should be included IMO.

I like what PRO is doing for music but for movies there is something missing. There is better integration and all the speakers and subs work more seamlessly as a whole but maybe I am just not used to that in movies? Maybe I just prefer a 80hz HPF? I may just go back to a regular XT32 calibration for a couple of weeks then back to PRO so I can get a better grasp on what's missing.

I have to admit that XT32 sounds really good on it's own, I wish I could keep those settings for movies and PRO for music.
post #80 of 167 Old 06-28-11, 06:50 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Anyone know if there's a way to lower the LPF in the PRO software? Audyssey Pro lets me change the speaker x-over but not the subs which is locked at 120hz and the only way to change it is in the receiver's speaker configuration menu but I thought that is a no no with Pro.

I went back and did a normal XT32 calibration on my 5508 and it sounded good. I went in and changed my speakers x-over to 80hz and it improved for movies. I then went back and changed the subs x-over from 120 to 80hz and it was even better. I also used the SMS-1 to measure the response of the subs but didn't have the response dips like with PRO when I changed the crossover settings while still in the PRO software.

I am trying to find a good compromise between movies and music as I like the crossovers lower for music but higher with movies. I wish the PRO software would allow you to set different x-overs and levels for music and movies, that would be really slick and for the price should be included IMO.

I like what PRO is doing for music but for movies there is something missing. There is better integration and all the speakers and subs work more seamlessly as a whole but maybe I am just not used to that in movies? Maybe I just prefer a 80hz HPF? I may just go back to a regular XT32 calibration for a couple of weeks then back to PRO so I can get a better grasp on what's missing.

I have to admit that XT32 sounds really good on it's own, I wish I could keep those settings for movies and PRO for music.
Make sure you have the latest Onkyo firmware (5/27/11). If not, install it and rerun Pro.

Kal Rubinson