Denon 3806 and Audyssey EQ Measurements - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 05-29-06, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Denon 3806 and Audyssey EQ Measurements

I decided to check out exactly what Audyssey was doing with my response so I took some measurements with and without. It appears to make some needed ajustments, however, it's hard for me to notice a difference. Some may ask how can you help but not notice a difference? I am not a critical listener and I have terrible hearing as it is, especially in the upper range. I can notice a huge peak in certain frequencies, especially down low, but when it comes to full range, I'd be terrible for tuning a system by ear.

Anyway... Audyssey only appears to be able to adjust frequencies centered at full octaves between 63hz and 16khz (it only shows adjustments for these frequencies on my Parameter Check), thus I smoothed the response results to 1/1.

Main Listening Position Only

Red=EQ Off
Green=Audyssey Enabled

Apparently either the bandwidth of the correction that Audyssey applies is rather wide or it has some sort of control over it. The reason I suggest this is because notice how it effects my response from 15hz to 63hz. My response at 15hz has been reduce by 4.1db. Notice also the adjustment from 16khz to 20khz.

I measured this 3 times and came up with nearly identical responses each time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-29-06, 06:49 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr
Re: Denon 3806 and Audyssey EQ Measurements

Could it have just changed the sub/LFE output level for the low freqs eq and not needed any parametric filters below 63Hz? I always run my yammie's YPAO whenever I tweak my BFD filters and I expect it to change the sub output level a bit.

Bob
post #3 of 24 Old 05-29-06, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I don't think it changes the levels. The auto setup will change the levels but not the Audyssey EQ. I initially went through the auto setup but prior to taking any measurements I changed the settings it made. It does not get my levels right between the sub and mains, it sets my mains and center to large, and crossovers to 40hz. Once I set it up like it should be, I then take the measurement with the Audyssey off and on. But turning the Audyssey off and on does not effet the other setting... only the eq. The Denon might be dfferent in this aspect vs. the Yammy.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-29-06, 09:13 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Yes, Yamaha's YPAO also gets the speaker size wrong (sets too many to large). But you can tell the auto setup to not set the size and then it leaves them alone (I set to small) and also does not mess with the crossover freq (I use 60 Hz as that blends my E-80s with the PCU better). Then it does everything else, the distance, eq, and level set. And checks the speaker phasing. It would seem to me that it would be a normal thing to take the sub level into consideration when doing eq .

Bob
post #5 of 24 Old 05-30-06, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I would think it would only effect the level of the frequencie needing adjustment instead of he entire level. Auto setup should be the part that takes care of level matching.

Notice on the chart it does the same thing above 16khz as it does below 63hz... there is no level adjustment for 16khz and above.

One thing I do want to do is go back now and remeasure my sub response. I think I'd rather input the eq settings manually vs. allowing Audyssey to cut my sub response after setting it up with the BFD just like I want it.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-30-06, 12:18 AM

Wow, it really helped a LOT in the critical 100hz-5000hz bandwidth. Hard to say for sure what the minor quirks were above and below that though. If you have time to try a couple of other seating positions it might shed some light on things.

Audyssey is really one of the more advanced "auto" EQ systems...I've talked with those guys a couple times and they do know their stuff..

Tom V.
SVS
post #7 of 24 Old 01-27-08, 10:48 AM
Shackster

Gui Lao

I agree with Tom.

The only thing I would question is why it is digging into your highs so much. Except for the bump at maybe 15K, it appears to be taking a pretty good chunk out of your upper end in this position. I have to wonder if this is mic position as much as anything; only more tests would tell. Can you take a curve of the signal (electrical only) and post that as a “with” and “without”? That would give you a very good look at the amplitude portion of the adjustment.

Interestingly, I was looking at the 3806 as a replacement for our current AV revciever in the listening room.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-27-08, 12:34 PM
Rick

Unfortunately the 3806 came out the year before Audyssey introduced the new method for high subwoofer resolution. The XT in the 07 & 08 models has that implementation.

There's another very relevant factor that affects the Audyssey in differing receivers, and that is how much DSP memory allocation it allows the Audyssey to use. You could have the identical version of Audyssey in two receivers but one might have higher filter resolution available because of it.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-27-08, 12:58 PM
Rick

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I don't think it changes the levels. The auto setup will change the levels but not the Audyssey EQ. I initially went through the auto setup but prior to taking any measurements I changed the settings it made. It does not get my levels right between the sub and mains, it sets my mains and center to large, and crossovers to 40hz. Once I set it up like it should be, I then take the measurement with the Audyssey off and on. But turning the Audyssey off and on does not effet the other setting... only the eq. The Denon might be dfferent in this aspect vs. the Yammy.
YPAO doesn't work in the time domain like Audyssey does. And Audyssey does indeed set levels. What you have to realize it that when the Audyssey sets the sub level it is doing so by summing the bass from all speakers so if you change the x-over it sets you'll have to crank up the sub a bit to compensate.

Audyssey sets the speakers as large by what the receiver manufacturer specifies as the LF response cut off. I believe Denon is 40hz so if a speaker is capable of "in-room" FR below 40hz it will be set as large.

The best way to judge Audyssey is to make sure it get all distances right except the sub which it might alter based on phase and timing in relation to the rest of the speakers. If it gets the distances wrong run it again until it does. Also if the level are way out of whack you probably should run it again.

There's a whole bunch of reasons why you can get results that are off, but to summarize, this is a very sensitive and high resolution application.

If it gets the above correct, you really should take what it does for a ride and listen to it for a bit before changing any of its' settings.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-27-08, 01:22 PM
Rick

Wow, I didn't realize Sonnie's original post dated back to May. I'm obviously a bit late with that advice!!