Mcacc/audyssey/denon/pioneer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

manu

Mcacc/audyssey/denon/pioneer

Hi,
fellow Shacksters,
Greetings! Been a while away from this
forum. During this period I completed my HT and hope to post fotos as
soon as I know how to upload hd fotos!

Here is my query to you out there: I am
planning to upgrade my Denon 4311 to Pio sc lx86 and my worry is, will
advance mcacc measure up to the Audyssey xt32? Been a huge fan of
Audyssey and Chris I have used multeq, xt and currently xt32.
I hear that mcacc doesnt eq below 63hz but of what real disadvantage( if
any ) would that be for the music or movies bass?
Also does Audyssey eq the reverberations time in a room? Mine is sound
controlled with absorbers and diffusers as well
too and I like the Audyssey contoured sound here verymuch.Would a
changeover to mcacc be as good or better?
Mcacc also controls the standing waves. What about Audyssey on this
s.wave area?
Thanks folks for your response in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 09:50 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Mcacc/audyssey/denon/pioneer

Howdy,

I think that the SC-LX86-K is the same as the Elite SC-68? European version vs US Version.

The Elite SC-68 was just awarded the best receiver of the year by Home Theater Magazine (here is the review).

You are correct, MCACC doesn't correct below 63Hz. I'm a Pioneer Elite owner, myself... the MCACC system is a little tricky to master, but if you stick with it, you can get great results. I will add... I used the REW software and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to equalize my subs. For me, and my room, I needed it.

You say your room is treated... perhaps you need to use REW and take some measurements in your room (for your subs, of course) with your Audyssey EQ turned off. That would be the only way to know what kind of room response you are getting at your seating positions...

I will say this: Really like my Pioneer Elite. Based on the rave reviews given to the Elite SC-68, I'm sure you'd be happy with it.
post #3 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 09:54 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

The Denon 4311 is an excellent receiver. What do you think you are missing with your current setup? My guess is there would be a marginal improvement at best and as was stated you will most likely need to EQ your subs with an outboard solution if you move to the Pio.

post #4 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 05:46 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

MCACC gives you a lot more manual EQ and reverb/time delay adjustments than Audyssey, but as Todd mentioned, it takes a lot of perseverance to get it tuned just right..but the end result is very satisfying..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 06:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

I love using MCACC as it is much more flexible than Audyssey as long as you have the tools to take the proper measurements, etc.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #6 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 06:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
While I am a big Pioneer Elite fan and honestly miss my VSX-49txi, switching from the 4311 is somewhat of a sideways move. I would keep the AVR and purchase an outboard power amplifier. Indeed MCACC has some advantages over Audyssey, but incorporating EQ to the LFE Channel is far more involved than with MultEQ. Especially as your 4311 has SubEQ HT which offers almost the same features as the $800 SVS AV-EQ1 that was co-designed by SVS and Audyssey.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #7 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 09:19 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Jack - Not to nit-pick... actually just curious, why the recommend for an outboard amp? His current amp is already pushing 140W per channel. Added power from an outboard amp doesn't necessarily = better sound, or does it?
post #8 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

manu

Thanks Todd!
Can you tell how this" below 63 hrz lack of equalisation "would affect the sub sound output /quality while I listen to music? Or movies with plenty of LFE ? Mine is 9.2 with Jamo C60 series speakers. Sunfire Signature true sub and Deftech Supercube 2. I have absorber panels of glass wool 2*4ft in first reflection areas of LCR speakers. Heavy curtains too in place, with Auralex qfusers for diffusers. I followed their room treatment guidelines for my room and carpeted floor for the floor reflections.
Am happy with the result though I don't know how to go about REW wizard. Audyssey did a great job too in my HT room.since you have the top Pio ;-), will MCACC be as good if not better!? Any good tutorial for novice?
Thanks
Manu
post #9 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

manu

Thanks JJ
But the 4311 has no sub eq. Only xt32. Subsequent ships with 4520s! Regarding the sideways move I thought Pio sc lx 86 is up above it. It delivers 190 w power at 6ohms( my speakers are) compared to 140w by my D4311. Also the certified quality of sound!More DSP choice. I hear it does better job on the stereo mode than Denon?
Thanks again
Manu
post #10 of 55 Old 01-10-13, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

manu

Also JJ what if I don't eq the sub and leave it with what MCACC does? What do u think would happen to sub output? The MCACC works on standing waves too. Don't know if Audyssey addresses that
Bye for now
Manu