Audyssey cross over setting fluctuating? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-14, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Audyssey cross over setting fluctuating?

Hi there,

I have marantz sr7008 avr which has xt32. Now normally when I do a audyssey calibration it will set my klipsch rf7 mains, centre and surround to between 40-60hz crossover.

Now nothing has changed physically in the room. The last three calibrations the avr has set the main speaker crossover to 110hz, 120hz and now jumped to 200hz. While it's still set the centre and surrounds to 40 or 60hz.

Now I normally bump the xovers up to 80hz across the board but these are large main speakers with 8" drivers so cal's at over 100hz are silly.

I can't work out what could be issue. Maybe someone else may have some suggestions??

Regards

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-05-14, 10:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Audyssey cross over setting fluctuating?

Quote:
Noddy347 wrote: View Post
Hi there,

I have marantz sr7008 avr which has xt32. Now normally when I do a audyssey calibration it will set my klipsch rf7 mains, centre and surround to between 40-60hz crossover.

Now nothing has changed physically in the room. The last three calibrations the avr has set the main speaker crossover to 110hz, 120hz and now jumped to 200hz. While it's still set the centre and surrounds to 40 or 60hz.

Now I normally bump the xovers up to 80hz across the board but these are large main speakers with 8" drivers so cal's at over 100hz are silly.

I can't work out what could be issue. Maybe someone else may have some suggestions??

Regards

Matt
My first suspicion would be the microphone itself or associated preamp, assuming you're not putting your main position somewhere else. You might also try Marantz support. It really sounds like a hardware issue, not room or speakers.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-14, 04:03 PM
Senior Shackster

selden

My System

Is there any chance you have bi-amp capable speakers and the jumpers connecting the woofer to the upper-range speakers have come loose?

What are you using to support the Audyssey microphone?
How careful are you to make sure the microphone is in exactly the same positions each time you run Audyssey?

Often a small difference in microphone position can make a significant difference in calibration. A $30 microphone boom stand usually produces the best results since you can position the microphone at precisely the same places each time.

Selden

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-14, 10:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
selden wrote: View Post
Is there any chance you have bi-amp capable speakers and the jumpers connecting the woofer to the upper-range speakers have come loose?

How careful are you to make sure the microphone is in exactly the same positions each time you run Audyssey?

Often a small difference in microphone position can make a significant difference in calibration. A $30 microphone boom stand usually produces the best results since you can position the microphone at precisely the same places each time.
A slight positioning error wouldn't cause that magnitude of LF disparity. Remember, a wavelength at 100Hz 10 feet, sp unless you were in a modal null the position wouldn't be critical within a couple of inches.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-10-14, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
gazoink wrote: View Post
My first suspicion would be the microphone itself or associated preamp, assuming you're not putting your main position somewhere else. You might also try Marantz support. It really sounds like a hardware issue, not room or speakers.
Yes this was my first assumption, the mic or avr is playing up.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-14, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
selden wrote: View Post

Speakers are not bi amped.

The mic is being supported with a camera tripod. Positioning is near identical, there are four seats in my HT and all the sample locations are the same. I have purchased a boom stand so once I work out how to attach the audyssey mic securely I'll be using it.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-14, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
gazoink wrote: View Post
A slight positioning error wouldn't cause that magnitude of LF disparity. Remember, a wavelength at 100Hz 10 feet, sp unless you were in a modal null the position wouldn't be critical within a couple of inches.
I agree with both points in this post. I do have some bass null problems which I'm sorting at the moment.

If this is a null issue the null location and size has become very large all of a sudden.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-14, 10:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Noddy347 wrote: View Post
If this is a null issue the null location and size has become very large all of a sudden.
Modal nulls are frequency specific. The actual null isn't physically large, but it's skirts can cover some area.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-14, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Well I've done some more testing and it hasn't solved the problem.
If I calibrate anywhere close to my listening position which is exactly 38% from the rear wall my main will cross over at anywhere From 100hz to 250hz. Yes they have calibrated to 250hz today

If I move the mic 2 metres in front of LP the mains will calibrate at Full Band. So is this a room issue or hardware?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-14, 08:30 AM
Senior Shackster

selden

My System

Your description is consistent with there being a null at your primary listening position. I.e. it's a room problem.

To be certain, though, you probably need to invest in learning how to use REW to determine exactly what is happening.

Selden