Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 122 Old 02-01-10, 03:55 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Re: Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!

I don't have a 'before' graph right now, I'm at work. I will do a fresh set of measurements with and without Audyssey tonight.

The Dynamic EQ is pretty agressive, but then this is almost 30dB down from reference, so the lift is pretty severe.

I think the linear bass thing in my setup is a thing of preference, as is the HF rolloff, as I usually listen pretty close to, or at, reference level. I'm pretty sure I'd like a little more oomph and zhing if I were regularly at -30dB.

I'll make a set of measurements, including DynamicEQ for the surround channels just to see what's going on tonight. I also have the SVS AS-EQ1 in my system, and I am curious what that does compared to the raw response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 122 Old 02-01-10, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Those graphs of mine are pretty old and I no longer have that receiver. I have an Onkyo 906 now. I have not done a before and after with this particular receiver as of yet.

I have never been super impressed with the mid and high end equalization with Audyssey... and I surely cannot differentiate between the before and after for simply watching movies... nor even concerts for that matter. I do know it does pretty well in the sub range and this is mainly why I use it.

I will try to get some new graphs up, but my time is soooo limited these days. There just ain't enough time in the day to do all I have to do as it is.
post #13 of 122 Old 02-01-10, 11:17 PM
Shackster
Tim

Thanks Sonnie. I completely understand. I think we all could use more free time these days. I'm scaling my high-end system way back for that very reason. No real time to just sit down and listen.

I have to ask, do you use a calibrated mic for your measurements? If not, that could attribute to less than stellar looking HF measurements.

In a few weeks, when I get a Denon AVR, I'll post my REW graphs to help get this thread moving along again.

post #14 of 122 Old 02-02-10, 01:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I recently 'downgraded' as well. For me it was more of a lateral move towards movie only audio, really. Went from the excellent Dali Euphonia MS4 and CS4 frontstage to the Klipsch THX Ultra2 kit. For movies it's actually better, even though the entire set cost less than the cente channel alone in the Dali kit!

The thing that gets me, though, is that even though the Klipsch kit is 10dB more sensitive, they really want more juice than the Denon AVR 4308 is giving them. I never had that with the 88dB Dalis...

But we are digressing. I never got around to doing the measurements last night, life got in the way, as it often does.

post #15 of 122 Old 02-02-10, 01:52 AM
Shackster
Tim

Not to take this thread further off-topic, but are you saying that you used the 4308 to power the Dali's? And now, with the same AVR and more sensitive Klipsch speakers, you feel like they need more power? What gives you that impression? Is the resistance of the Klipsches particularly low? What do you hear?
post #16 of 122 Old 02-02-10, 02:19 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I hear the amplifier straining a little when playing very loud. I get the classical harsh amp begging for mercy sound. I think the speakers have a dip in the impedance somewhere that my AVR just don't handle vey well. That said, the Dalis are known for their amplifier-friendly construction, and the klipsch take no prisoners, so I guess it's just a matter of getting more power to them. I am getting an Emotiva XPA-5 to power the speakers, hopefully that helps. I sorta miss my NAD M25 at this point. With the dalis there was just no need for it, but the Klipsch kit needs the extra oomph, apparently.

post #17 of 122 Old 02-02-10, 02:26 AM
Shackster
Tim

Ahh, that makes sense for the most part. You would think that the high sensitivity would make up for the low impedance dip, but some things don't play out the way they do on paper.

The issue you're having is the reason I'm going with the AVR5308. Its a far cry from my Classe front-end, but better safe than sorry.
post #18 of 122 Old 02-02-10, 02:41 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Yeah, should be fine. i love the UI and functionality of the 4308, and power is best handled by a separate amp anyway. I am hoping to have a listen to the new Onkyo Pre, the 5507 soon, that is looking very tempting. It has XLR outputs so I can go balanced to the Emotiva amp too, which is a great benefit with the long stretches of signal cable. And it has Audyssey DSX, which could be interesting.

post #19 of 122 Old 02-02-10, 02:59 AM
Shackster
Tim

I don't listen at particularly high volumes, so the internal amps in the 5308 should be more than enough. The Denon 5800 that I owned prior to the Classe stack never let me down, even at high volumes. Good luck on the search for the amp / processor combo that makes your Klipsch speakers sing.
post #20 of 122 Old 02-03-10, 04:55 PM
Elite Shackster

First Graph is pre Audyssey

Second Graph is post Audyssey

This is using Audyssey Multi EQ XT built into the Onkyo 875 AVR

I have recently acquired a BFD 2496 so I'm going to have a crack at that dip at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-graph-800-x-488-.jpg  

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-post-audy-graph-800-x-481-.jpg