Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!

100K views 121 replies 36 participants last post by  Bear123 
#1 ·
Please post your Audyssey graphs (before and after) here in this thread.

Be sure to tell us what processor or receiver you are using.

Please keep graphs only in this thread and any comments in the Audyssey MultEQ Discussion Thread.

Thanks!

This is from my NAD T785 .... Audyssey MultEQ.

Gold = No EQ
Red = NAD Audyssey

Sub response range... 1/3 octave smoothing...

Full range... 1/3 octave smoothing...

Sub gain had to be cut considerably from this... it was about 20db hot! I'll get some new graphs posted soon.

All in all, I am very happy with what Audyssey did with my response, especially in the lower end. No reason to even hook up my BFD with this response. Rodny came down to the house today and we setup my new receiver and the new pair of SVS PC-Ultra subs. What surprised us the most is how well Audyssey is able to handle the lowest octaves with what seems to be no adverse effects thus far.

Please keep graphs only in this thread and any comments in the Audyssey MultEQ Discussion Thread.

Thanks!

See less See more
#70 ·
I think that may be the problem.

I went home during lunch and ran a couple of sweeps with subs and right speaker at 80hz

Green = ASEQ/MultEQ/DynamicEQ all on
Purple = DynEQ off
Red = ASEQ & DynEQ off
Blue = All off

I ran a sub only sweep they way they are in the picture above then turned the subs outboard, the left one faced the left wall and the right one actually faced down a hall. I ran sub only 200hz sweeps at 80hz x-over

No EQ in these sweeps.

Green = facing sitting postion as in pic above
Purple = facing out board

I really thought the purple was going to be sweet, after setting up the ASEQ with I ran a sweep with the right speaker it was horrible....so I faced them back to the front and moved my mains slightly and ran a sweep with both fronts at 80hz x-over on with out DynEQ and one with.

Purple = w/out DEQ
Gold = with DEQ

Didnt have time to run a full sweep with DynEQ on but here is a 200hz sweep with it on along with a full sweep with it off.

#71 ·
Here is my REW graph with some manual EQ:

Text Blue Line Plot Pattern

Now with Audyssey Dynamic EQ (all other parameters are identical):

Text Line Plot Font Pattern

And the two overlayed:

Text Blue Line Pattern Font

Audyssey in this case is MultEQ on an Onkyo TX-NR807
BFD Filters were applied to smooth the Manual EQ FR and were kept in place for the Audyssey FR graph.

#73 ·
Hi,

When it was engaging Audyssey autosetup in onkyo 906, all channels were being calibrated. How to calibrate subwoofer channel only in Audyssey autosetup? It seems that the calibrated effect of other channels except subwoofer is not that good in my untreated room.

Thanks

#76 ·
... It seems that the calibrated effect of other channels except subwoofer is not that good in my untreated room. ...
You may be seeing comb filtering between the front speakers giving you more variation in the joint measurement than either speaker has itself. I was confused by some of my Audyssey curves, until I began measuring the left and right channel separately.

You can also try taking measurements across all the points you used during Audyssey setup to define the Audyssey bubble.

Bill

#74 ·
With Audyssey, it is all or nothing I'm afraid. There is no option to EQ just the sub. I'm not up on the different Audyssey options on the Onkyo, but on the Denon units, you can select "Bypass L/R" which defeats the EQ for the L/R channels and corrects the Center and Surrounds to sound like the L/R channels, while also keeping the sub EQ. This is as close as you can get to what you are looking for.

What don't you like about the sound? Sometimes poor sounding results are the effect of improper measurement technique. Please describe how you took the measurements.

#81 ·
Ive only ever tried it without the centre and surrounds, and I guess its normal to expect the same not to be true for the fronts, but you never know, the system may just report them as not connected and carry on regardless. I need to order a new Audyssey mic as I lost mine somehow in a house move, so I cant easily try it myself now.

#84 ·
Anyone have any graphs of Audyssey MultEQ whom have upgraded to MultEQ-XT? I'm looking to upgrade my AVR/processor and I want audyssey. I get a severe allison effect -20db around 270hz and i have a huge +20db peak at 39hz. I can manually eq some of it with my current equipment but it is just not cutting it. I know that there shouldnt be much difference for the sub between the two eq's but im curious about the surrounds. has anyone noticed an improvement in the sattelite resolution on their graphs or sonically? I'm trying to justify getting a unit with multeq-xt.

#86 ·
MultEQ v MultEQ XT

Anyone have any graphs of Audyssey MultEQ whom have upgraded to MultEQ-XT? ...
I was reluctant to post these, as I took the measurements very early on, a year ago, when I was still learning how to get reasonably consistent measurements with REW, and before I bought a calibrated microphone.

Text Green Blue Line Plot

In this graph, the light green line is from the Denon AVR-989, with MultEQ XT, and the blue line is from the Denon AVR-790, with MultEQ. It was taken at only one measurement point, of both front speakers so comb filtering effects may be present, with a Radio Shack meter so the accuracy at the high end and the bottom of the sub range are suspect. With all these caveats, the graph does support the idea that MultEQ XT does do a little better job of evening out the peaks and reducing the variation above the 80Hz crossover.

Bill

#87 ·
thanks, i'm very famliar with the specs, i've been following audyssey for years. I was looking for some real world info someone can give me some feedback on not marketing. Im looking for someone out there that has upgraded proccesors with the same speakers cause I'd like to see a full range graph comparing no eq with multeq to multeq-xt.

#88 · (Edited)
cool thanks bill. Its hard to say based on your results. I'd like to see some more. I've owned a pioneer with mccac and the radio shack meter. Back then I didnt' have a calibrated mic or rew then so no graphs. I now have the calibrated dayton mic with rew. They are a must have. I took some measurements and the cal mic and rew have allow me to do a better job manully equalizing my yamaha but I have some bad acoustics. I hope audyssey can fix me up. I know my system can sound better.

#89 ·
Here are my first full range graphs using Onkyo TX-NR3008 w/ Audyssey XT32, SVS SCS-01 mains, SBS-01 Surrounds, PB13-Ultra. Measured with cross specturm's calibrated EMM-6, 90 degree narrow band at the primary listening position.

Attachments

#92 ·
Here are my first full range graphs using Onkyo TX-NR3008 w/ Audyssey XT32, SVS SCS-01 mains, SBS-01 Surrounds, PB13-Ultra. ...
Thanks for the XT32 graphs; the improvement in the 100Hz-300Hz range is really visible, which is what one would expect with the new filter resolution.

Would you, by chance, be upgrading from an earlier Audyssey receiver, and able to provide a comparison of XT32 with an earlier version, all other things being equal?

Thanks,
Bill

#90 ·
Man....to my untrained eye that looks very impressive. What I found weird and have never noticed "at least not without going back and checking my own graphs" is how DynEQ effected the upper end of the spectrum. I knew it effected the lower end.

#91 ·
It is similar to what Dolby Volume does but the Dynamic EQ from Audyssey is not in the same league as what Dolby does, I heard the Auyssey version and was not too impressed, now the Dolby version impresses me every time I listen to it in there post processing, although I love what Audyssey does for EQ'ing of a subwoofer.

The output of the PB13 is impressive though and room gain at the lower end will nearly always come into play except in all but the largest of rooms.

#93 ·
Unfortunately no, I was using a Yamaha HTR-6260, prior to this unit. I've only had the tools for rew for about a year. I have some graphs of some manually tuning I performed. Its amazing how audyssey can do in what took me literally hours of tweaking with the manual eq on the yamaha, a rane pe17 and rew, in only a few minutes and get the response just as flat. The dynamic eq gives it a house curve almost identicle to what my ears liked with the exeption of the boost on the high end. I like what the dynamic eq does with the sub but, I think the high end is too flat with it, I like the highs slightly rolled.

#94 ·
This was about as flat as I was ever able to get it manually with the Yamaha. Audyssey as you can see emasculates me and my toys. I actually feel kind of good about what I was able to accomplish.

Attachments

#95 ·
I adjusted my sub gain according to the audyssey calibration which i didn't do before. I checked my mic positioning also. This is my final result with 3 positions. I wish it could get rid of the 250hz suck out but I think that is just the allison effect of having the bookshelfs on stands.

Attachments

#96 ·
Ok, here we go. Denon AVR-4311ci. This is straight off the Audyssey auto config after it had me turn my right sub down to equalize it with the left. I identified that as the source of a big null between 40 and 50 hz.

The first graph is Audyssey off vs on. It's kind of strange that it reverses the peaks and valleys in the low end. It makes a huge gain under 30 hz!

Text Blue White Line Green

Next is Audyssey vs Audyssey Flat. It does indeed flatten the graph out a bit. There's a +3 dB jump at 2k hz with Flat. Bass is unaffected.

Text Green Blue White Line

Here's what Dynamic EQ does. At this volume level, it's mostly just boosting low frequencies. Since DynEQ is supposed to make the system sound better at low volume, it might be a more dramatic difference at a lower overall level.

Text Blue White Line Green

Last night I improved my bass response by turning the gain knob back up on my right sub and raising them both to 0 dB in the receiver (Audyssey had them at -8). Tonight I turned the right sub back up to 0 dB and turned the gain knob up a bit as well while leaving the left sub at -8.

Text Green Blue White Line

There, now that looks better. :D I'll have to do some listening to see if I prefer it this way or if I'll turn the left sub back up too.

#98 ·
Audussey XT32 / Denon AVR 4311ci / WinXP, Sound Blaster X-Fi

My first REW sweeps. I’m still learning about REW, Audussey and the 4311ci so I’ll apologize in advance if I have made any errors.
I’m using the RS 33-4050 as an SPL meter (for now)
Text Line Slope Plot Design

Text Line Plot Pattern Slope

Text Line Plot Pattern Slope

I’m very happy with the sound even without Audussy, particulary the sound stage. Audussey definitely improves it.
I do have a couple of RealTrap tri-corners in place on the front wall and I’m just finishing off a couple of home built corner traps.
I’ll rerun Audussey and RAW after I get them in place.
I’m a bit concerned with the dip at 83.7 Hz , the peak centered around 6K and the rapid drop off above. The dip at 83.7 may be sub position related. I understand that the RS SPL isn’t very reliable above 3K.
I do have a couple of Bruel & Kjaer 4007 mic,s with factory calibration data, which I intend to try soon.

#99 ·
I am also started using REW recently.
To my untrained eyes the dip around 80Hz may be an indication of sub being out of phase. that is assuming it is the crossover point.

Audussey XT32 / Denon AVR 4311ci / WinXP, Sound Blaster X-Fi

My first REW sweeps. I’m still learning about REW, Audussey and the 4311ci so I’ll apologize in advance if I have made any errors.
I’m using the RS 33-4050 as an SPL meter (for now)
View attachment 34214

View attachment 34215

View attachment 34216
I’m very happy with the sound even without Audussy, particulary the sound stage. Audussey definitely improves it.
I do have a couple of RealTrap tri-corners in place on the front wall and I’m just finishing off a couple of home built corner traps.
I’ll rerun Audussey and RAW after I get them in place.
I’m a bit concerned with the dip at 83.7 Hz , the peak centered around 6K and the rapid drop off above. The dip at 83.7 may be sub position related. I understand that the RS SPL isn’t very reliable above 3K.
I do have a couple of Bruel & Kjaer 4007 mic,s with factory calibration data, which I intend to try soon.

#101 ·
Hi there

I am new here but find it very interesting that you measured with REW what Audyssey did. Well, this is my first post here and I actually registered to download REW bur I will show you the output of my Audyssey Pro measurement, whereas I don't know whether this is true what is shown or not.
I will find out soon, when I have installed REW and checked the measurement.

This measurement was done with my screen in front of the LCR. Therefore the decrease of the curve in the high area.
I hope this works here, doing it the first time.:sweat:

Thank you for you understanding and greetings from Germany.

m

Attachments

#103 ·
Thank you and yes, it has improved dramatically, I would say. Currently I am very happy but it was some kind of a fight to convince Onkyo and Audyssey that there is something wrong with the Audyssey implementation in the Onkyo PR-SC5509 which equivalent is some Integra DTR 9.x or so in the US.

However, with the introduction of Audyssey Pro and the latest firmware update in March, they fixed it. Great job and I was happy.
However, somehow these curves are too good to be true - don't you think so too? Therefore I downloaded REW 5 today and will check the Audyssey data. But I still have to wait a bit, because I found my built in sound card in my laptop is not good enough after calibrating it with REW. So I am waiting for a Tascam US 122 Mk II.
I will post the results here.

Cheers

m

#104 ·
Hi all,

Thought I would post my current results:

Denon 2112ci - Audyssey MultEQ XT
Mains - HTD Level 3 bookshelves circa 2001
Sub - SVS 20-39 PCi circa 2002

Left and Right Mains measured separately at the main seating position with a Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter using the generic calibration file from this site.

RED - Audyssey off
GREEN - Audyssey on
BLUE - Audyssey Flat on

Text Line Pattern Plot Pattern

PINK - Audyssey off
TURQUOISE - Audyssey on
GOLD - Audyssey Flat on

Text Line Plot Pattern Pink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.