Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 122 Old 02-21-10, 07:42 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Re: Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!

The following graphs were measured on a Denon AVR-989 running MultEQ XT with a calibrated mic.

To make the level setting clearer, I am posting separate graphs of the sub & left and sub & right curves. In each graph, light green is Audyssey Off, blue is Audyssey Reference, and the red is Audyssey Flat. 1/3 octave smoothing was used in each full range graph.

Left:
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-100221.leftaudysseyoffonflat.jpg

Right:
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-100221.rightaudysseyoffonflat.jpg

One can see where the Audyssey Reference curve introduces its "BBC dip" near 2kHz, and tails off above 10kHz.

I should explain the unusual sub curve with Audyssey Off. I deliberately configured my Hsu VTF sub in its overdamped mode, only one port open but the high-pass-filter set to two ports open. I found that, after Audyssey equalization, this gave the flattest response in my room.

The room is not treated, most of what dispersion there is comes from numerous bookcases.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 Old 02-23-10, 04:08 PM
Shackster
Tim

Bill -

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Those Audyssey curves are very respectable overall, and exceptional in the bass. All I would probably do it bump up the sub output by a few dB.

The difference in the high treble between your left and right speaker measurements is a bit odd though. Are your speakers set-up assemetrically? Or did the mic move bewteen readings?
post #33 of 122 Old 02-23-10, 09:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

The sub output appears level when compared to a single front speaker. When I measure the two mains together with the sub, the curve looks like more typical Audyssey curves. The sub level then appears +3dB higher than the mains; I spent several weekends trying to understand the level difference. Since late 2008, Audyssey includes a DynEQ function that I leave on, except for REW measurements, and that gives a low end boost similar to a house curve, which may be what you were suggesting.

You have correctly identified the next major area of improvement. The speakers are reasonably symmetric to the axis from the TV, but the whole arrangment is offset in the room. The left front is near the corner, whereas the right front is mid wall. So the reflections are very different, with a fireplace on the left, but the wall on the right 8 feet away. Also, there is a couch on the right parallel to the right hand wall, and its far arm blocks some of the sound from the right speaker. I've already broached the idea of re-arranging the room with my wife, but it will take some convincing.

I did not move the mic between the measurements, but it is very difficult to measure from exactly the same point as was used for the Audyssey setup. Also, in my asymmetric environment, it is not surprising that Audyssey, evaluating 8 points around the bubble, calculated different filters for the two fronts.

Thanks,
Bill

post #34 of 122 Old 02-23-10, 10:27 PM
Shackster
Tim

Hey Bill -

I've got the same speaker placement constraints, with the front stage scrunched over to one side. I've been using manual PEQ for the past year based on an average of 4 mic readings. You may find that if you tighten up the radius of your mic positions, making sure to keep all of them between the speakers, you could get more consistency in the HF between the L/R.
post #35 of 122 Old 02-24-10, 11:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Tim, thanks for the suggestion. I may revisit where I define the Audyssey bubble.
post #36 of 122 Old 02-24-10, 01:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Audyssey actually ping'd the sub 3 time for each sweep, which I understand is it testing the subs threshold. .
Is this what it is doing? I just ran Audyssey for the first time a few days ago and it swept each speaker 10 times for every measurement. They all seemed to be the same volume to me and not all that loud.
post #37 of 122 Old 02-24-10, 04:04 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I have just re done my graphs again tonight and have used less filters and less cuts which in turn is giving me more between 30 and 80hz. The first is my graph after Audyssey and no EQ (no BFD) which I think Audyssey has done a good job. I don't have the graph prior to Audyssey as I didn't save my measurements but its pretty good all the same. The second is my Sub only with Audyssey and with the BFD filters applied. And the last is my sub and speakers with Audyssey and BFD.

To re cap:

1. Sub only with Audyssey and no BFD

2. Sub only with Audyssey and BFD

3. Sub and speakers with Audyssey and BFD.

Sub crossover: 80hz Speakers: 80hz

I have also increased the sub trim level to +5 and reduced the EP4000 gain down to 24db (it was on max). I am running the sub to about 82db so slightly hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-sub-only-audyssey-no-bfd.jpg  

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-sub-only-audyssey-bfd-set-2.jpg  

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-sub-speakers-filter-set-2-80hz-speakers-80hz.jpg  

post #38 of 122 Old 02-24-10, 05:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Is this what it is doing? I just ran Audyssey for the first time a few days ago and it swept each speaker 10 times for every measurement. They all seemed to be the same volume to me and not all that loud.
I'm sure somewhere I read that Audyssey does this for the sub channel (not sure on the speakers), and each time it pinged the sub it increased the gain. Looking at the before and after graphs of my sub, the low end had been boosted just so to give me a nice flat response, so I know it certainly pushed my sub more than any other I had owned previously.

An e-mail to Chris at Audyssey might be in order though as the easiest way to get it cleared up.
post #39 of 122 Old 02-25-10, 12:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Here is what I'm looking at currently with Audyssey. I will be tweaking this more and re-doing them soon but you can see the cutting and then overall level boost that Audyssey is making to the sub channel. My averaged response after Audyssey is looking good through the bass range, but I need to make some improvements to the main listening position still.

Electrical response comparing Audyssey on and off. 6.5db boost.

Same as above. Electrical with Audyssey levels readjusted to show cuts.

Main position before Audyssey

After Audyssey

6 position average response before Audyssey

6 position average response after Audyssey.
post #40 of 122 Old 02-26-10, 10:46 AM
Shackster
bkspero

New owner of a Denon AVR1610. I used REW a few years ago to set up a home recording studio, and now I'm trying to set up my family room television and sound systems. I'm trying to run REW on a Windows 7 computer, and there are some issues, which I'm sure have been explored on the REW forum. I was able to get it to calibrate everything, and run normally (as far as I could tell). The results are attached.

The first graph shows triplicate runs of REW after Audyssey setup was run and Multi-Eq was on. I used 1/12 Octave smoothing to get rid of some of the jitter but keep the smaller peaks and valleys. I was not able to set the axes to exactly 15-200 Hz and 45-105 dB, but got close. All were run with a 75 db target level.

The second graph shows 2 runs with Multi Eq turned off. I was surprised by the small amount of difference other than the generally lower sound level. Also, unlike the graphs with Mulit Eq on, these don't replicate very well. Both graphs contain what seems to me to be a similar degree of peaks and valleys.

The third and last graph shows all of the data on one plot.

I would appreciate comments on the results, and on whether I am doing things improperly (as far as you can determine from my post).

Thanks in advance for the guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-all-traces-multi-eq-.jpg  

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-all-traces-multi-eq-off.jpg  

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-all-traces.jpg