Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!

100K views 121 replies 36 participants last post by  Bear123 
#1 ·
Please post your Audyssey graphs (before and after) here in this thread.

Be sure to tell us what processor or receiver you are using.

Please keep graphs only in this thread and any comments in the Audyssey MultEQ Discussion Thread.

Thanks!

This is from my NAD T785 .... Audyssey MultEQ.

Gold = No EQ
Red = NAD Audyssey

Sub response range... 1/3 octave smoothing...

Full range... 1/3 octave smoothing...

Sub gain had to be cut considerably from this... it was about 20db hot! I'll get some new graphs posted soon.

All in all, I am very happy with what Audyssey did with my response, especially in the lower end. No reason to even hook up my BFD with this response. Rodny came down to the house today and we setup my new receiver and the new pair of SVS PC-Ultra subs. What surprised us the most is how well Audyssey is able to handle the lowest octaves with what seems to be no adverse effects thus far.

Please keep graphs only in this thread and any comments in the Audyssey MultEQ Discussion Thread.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yea, Audyssey is awesome. Heres some graphs from my Onkyo 705 which uses Audyssey MultEQ XT.
First the sub. This is before with no smoothing

Heres after Audyssey

Together

Now heres the the full range response with and without Audyssey. This is with 1/3 smoothing

Heres a closer view with Audyssey from 10-1000hz

No Audyssey.

Both close.

Now I think the large peek and roll off around 5000hz is caused by the Radioshack meter I used since this SPL meter is no good for measuring high frequencies. But anyways, I cant believe the difference in sound quality Audyssey has made in my room. It sounds so much better now which I belive has to do with the 400-900hz gap I had. The separations between channels I hear now I think is the biggest difference. That and the flat low end.:T Now that I hear what Audyssey can do I cant image being without it.

#6 ·
I had been looking for a thread like this to see how well Audyssey does in different systems, and there are only two posts with full-range graphs.

Sonnie - what happened to your follow-up graphs? And how do you feel about that 8dB dip in the treble relative to the midrange level? I would expect some roll-off in the treble, but not that much.

#7 ·
I'm going to re-measure my system again today, I'll make sure to post some graphs in this thread.

Please remember that Audyssey is not 'traditional' EQ and thus it will not quield a flat frequency response like many are used to from manual EQ.

I have an old 'after' graph here. This is for a single position (sweetspot) after haphazardly placing my mains. I have much better results today. :)

#8 ·
Atledreler -

Thanks for adding your graph. Are you using a calibrated mic? That top end still exhibits more roll of than I would expect based on what Audyssey says they are aiming for. I believe the target is flat from 20Hz to 4KHz, then -3dB @10KHz and -6dB @ 20KHz.

Here's what I was able to do with 10 bands of manual EQ (5 for the sub and 5 for the mains). The blue line is my preferred sub level.

Oh, and Audyssey is aiming for flat FR just like manual EQ, but the smoothness of the graph depends on how far apart your measurement points are.

#9 ·
No, I use the Audyssey microphone, but I have checked it agains a calibrated MC8000, and it's fine except the very top end, where it falls off.

Your curve looks good for a single position EQ. I thinkI'd think it was too bright, but that is taste. I have solved many of my issues with proper speaker placement, and Audyssey is the final touch that just make it so much better. I have a well damped room, and Audyssey really bring the subs and mains together, and smooth for most of my listening space. I am not at all concerned that Audyssey can't give me a ruler flat curve for a single position, since it sounds so much better over a wider area.
I do prefer a linear bottom end though. I used to have a house-ish curve like you prefer, but found it too 'slow' for my taste. I like the agility of a linear curve. I am currently getting linear response down to about 13Hz at reference SPL, and I noone has ever complained of lack of bass.

Have you considered Audyssey DynamicEQ? That will raise the sub level as your master volume is lowered, to maintain a perceived linear bass response. I find it too bass heavy for my taste, but you might like it.

Here's what Dynamic EQ does in my room, at Master Volume -27dB

#10 ·
Thanks much for posting the effects of Dynamic EQ. I'd been looking for that, as I thought a house curve may not be needed if Dynamic EQ accomplished the same thing when listening at lower than reference level, which I always do. So having linear bass response may be just fine if I engage Dynamic feature. That does look like a pretty aggressive lift to the bottom end though. Is there any way to adjust the level, other than lowering the sub level?

About the treble in my graph. It surprised me too that I would like it that flat above 4K, but it really doesn't sound too bright with the speakers I currently own and at the levels I listen to. With other speakers, I preferred the typical HF roll-off.

Do you have a "before" graph you can share?

#11 ·
I don't have a 'before' graph right now, I'm at work. I will do a fresh set of measurements with and without Audyssey tonight.

The Dynamic EQ is pretty agressive, but then this is almost 30dB down from reference, so the lift is pretty severe.

I think the linear bass thing in my setup is a thing of preference, as is the HF rolloff, as I usually listen pretty close to, or at, reference level. I'm pretty sure I'd like a little more oomph and zhing if I were regularly at -30dB.

I'll make a set of measurements, including DynamicEQ for the surround channels just to see what's going on tonight. I also have the SVS AS-EQ1 in my system, and I am curious what that does compared to the raw response.

#12 ·
Those graphs of mine are pretty old and I no longer have that receiver. I have an Onkyo 906 now. I have not done a before and after with this particular receiver as of yet.

I have never been super impressed with the mid and high end equalization with Audyssey... and I surely cannot differentiate between the before and after for simply watching movies... nor even concerts for that matter. I do know it does pretty well in the sub range and this is mainly why I use it.

I will try to get some new graphs up, but my time is soooo limited these days. There just ain't enough time in the day to do all I have to do as it is.

#13 ·
Thanks Sonnie. I completely understand. I think we all could use more free time these days. I'm scaling my high-end system way back for that very reason. No real time to just sit down and listen.

I have to ask, do you use a calibrated mic for your measurements? If not, that could attribute to less than stellar looking HF measurements.

In a few weeks, when I get a Denon AVR, I'll post my REW graphs to help get this thread moving along again.

#14 ·
I recently 'downgraded' as well. For me it was more of a lateral move towards movie only audio, really. Went from the excellent Dali Euphonia MS4 and CS4 frontstage to the Klipsch THX Ultra2 kit. For movies it's actually better, even though the entire set cost less than the cente channel alone in the Dali kit!

The thing that gets me, though, is that even though the Klipsch kit is 10dB more sensitive, they really want more juice than the Denon AVR 4308 is giving them. I never had that with the 88dB Dalis...

But we are digressing. I never got around to doing the measurements last night, life got in the way, as it often does.

#15 ·
Not to take this thread further off-topic, but are you saying that you used the 4308 to power the Dali's? And now, with the same AVR and more sensitive Klipsch speakers, you feel like they need more power? What gives you that impression? Is the resistance of the Klipsches particularly low? What do you hear?

#16 ·
I hear the amplifier straining a little when playing very loud. I get the classical harsh amp begging for mercy sound. I think the speakers have a dip in the impedance somewhere that my AVR just don't handle vey well. That said, the Dalis are known for their amplifier-friendly construction, and the klipsch take no prisoners, so I guess it's just a matter of getting more power to them. I am getting an Emotiva XPA-5 to power the speakers, hopefully that helps. I sorta miss my NAD M25 at this point. With the dalis there was just no need for it, but the Klipsch kit needs the extra oomph, apparently.

#17 ·
Ahh, that makes sense for the most part. You would think that the high sensitivity would make up for the low impedance dip, but some things don't play out the way they do on paper.

The issue you're having is the reason I'm going with the AVR5308. Its a far cry from my Classe front-end, but better safe than sorry.

#18 ·
Yeah, should be fine. i love the UI and functionality of the 4308, and power is best handled by a separate amp anyway. I am hoping to have a listen to the new Onkyo Pre, the 5507 soon, that is looking very tempting. It has XLR outputs so I can go balanced to the Emotiva amp too, which is a great benefit with the long stretches of signal cable. And it has Audyssey DSX, which could be interesting.

#19 ·
I don't listen at particularly high volumes, so the internal amps in the 5308 should be more than enough. The Denon 5800 that I owned prior to the Classe stack never let me down, even at high volumes. Good luck on the search for the amp / processor combo that makes your Klipsch speakers sing. :)

#21 ·
The "after" looks much better. If you have the ability, it would be good to see the full frequency response.

And the general concensus on dealing with dips is to move the sub or the listening position, or both, rather than throwing a lot of amp power at it with a positive filter.

#22 ·

Actually, any equalizing requires more amplifier power. Even if you have only a single 10 dB peak, that’s what your overall sub level was based on. Cut the peak and you’ll find your sub is now not as loud as before. So, you increase its level to make up for the lost volume. Voila, now you’re driving your sub harder than you were before – at all frequencies except for the one you cut...

If you were dealing only with a dip in response, assuming it wasn’t a null and could be equalized, you’d only be driving the amp harder at the frequency that’s boosted.

So there’s no free lunch. Any equalizing requires ample headroom going in. In Moonfly’s “After” graph we can see that overall sub level has been increased by several dB. That amounts to increased demand on the amplifier. Equalizing raised the lowest point of the dip from ~62 dB to ~67. So it may respond to additional equalization. Can’t hurt to try.

Regards,
Wayne

#28 ·

Actually, any equalizing requires more amplifier power. Even if you have only a single 10 dB peak, that’s what your overall sub level was based on. Cut the peak and you’ll find your sub is now not as loud as before. So, you increase its level to make up for the lost volume. Voila, now you’re driving your sub harder than you were before – at all frequencies except for the one you cut...

I have bolded the part I am talking about. I agree, IF you use an SPL meter and noise to set the levels. But if you use a calibrated microphone and REW, or Audyssey for that matter, the peak may be above the average level of the sub, and require ONLY a cut to be in line with the rest. In that case there is no additional headroom needen, you have 'saved' a little headroom. Am I making sense?

#25 ·
Well, Wayne. That depends a bit on what he used to set the level with in the first place. If he usen an SPL meter, then yes. If he used a tool like REW or Audyssey, then the peak would be above the general level of the sub, and thus would 'save' headroom.

Not saying you are wrong, just saying there are other circumstances that need to be identified.

#27 ·

Well, Wayne. That depends a bit on what he used to set the level with in the first place. If he usen an SPL meter, then yes. If he used a tool like REW or Audyssey, then the peak would be above the general level of the sub, and thus would 'save' headroom.
Could you explain further? That doesn’t make much sense to me.

Regards,
Wayne

#26 ·
I love a good debate :D (dont we really need a dedicated discussion thread?)

Right, both graphs are obviously produced with REW. Both are measured at the 75db reference level. The sub is in one of only 2 available positions in my room, and is in the better of the two. All the other available room positions would require a smaller sub,a dn have been tested but dont offer a better response. In short the place it is, is as good a spot as any in my room, and there are no better available. The space it is in is large enough to accommodate a decent sized sub, so Ive taken advantage of it with the DIY sub Ive built, and subsequently measured.

As noted, Audyssey seems to have boosted the output of the sub by about 6db-9db, then trimmed the peaks. Audyssey actually ping'd the sub 3 time for each sweep, which I understand is it testing the subs threshold. However, it wont boost much more than 9db anyway, and as the boost seems to be across the entire range I assumed its limited the amount of boost to what the lower end, or majority of the response needs. This to me means that while the dip (caused by the room, every sub Ive tested has this same dip) has been boosted, there is probably a bit more room to add a bit more with the BFD Ive recently acquired, beyond what Audyssey wants to.

All in all I'm happy with what Audyssey has done,the sound is very good, and every time I use it I get consistent and pleasing results. Nothing short of fantastic for a free feature, given the next cheapest auto eq solution is about £250 for me.

Currently my sub is back in bits as I want to get the cabinet finished. When I get it back together, I'll apply the BFD based on the above post Audyssey graph, then re-run Audyssey and see how it comes out. I doubt I'll be disappointed, but I'll update the build thread (see sig) when I finally get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.