Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results! - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 122 Old 03-30-10, 05:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Re: Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
What I am seeing is Audyssey seems to do pretty well on the bass, but nothing special on the highs.

Thanks for all the graphs... I would like to see more...
I agree Sonnie, unless there is a way to disable MultEQ on the NR1007 other than going to:

1. Audio Adjust
2. Audyssey
3. Dynamic EQ "off"

If there is something I am missing or not doing someone please fill me in for I would love to run another sweep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 122 Old 03-30-10, 07:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Quote:
Tufelhundin wrote: View Post
Here are a couple of graphs I took from mine this morning, ...
What are you using for the microphone? A Radio Shack SPL meter?

Are these graphs from two fronts together with one sub?
post #53 of 122 Old 03-30-10, 07:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Quote:
laser188139 wrote: View Post
What are you using for the microphone? A Radio Shack SPL meter?

Are these graphs from two fronts together with one sub?
Yes, I'm using a Ratshack SPL. The graphs are coming from my right front and two subs.

post #54 of 122 Old 03-30-10, 07:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Quote:
Yes, I'm using a Ratshack SPL. The graphs are coming from my right front and two subs.
If you are using the Radio Shack meter, there is enough variation between meters at the treble end that the general advice is not to trust their results above 3kHz.

As you may have noticed in my recent comment in another thread, where the two fronts add together you can see less of a gain, due to destructive interference, than you see from one channel to the sub alone. So this could explain some of the boost in the low end. I don't know how this applies in the presence of multiple subs, especially after the ASEQ1 equalization.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
What I am seeing is Audyssey seems to do pretty well on the bass, but nothing special on the highs. ...
If you ignore everything above 3kHz, this makes Sonnie's observation moot. You just don't know what is happening up there.

Quote:
... Blue is no MultEQ-XT or ASEQ, Purple is MultEQ-XT only, Teal is MultEQ-XT & ASEQ ...
Your second graph shows a steady upward slope from right to left, both with Audyssey on and off. This makes me suspect this reflects mic variation and not real behavior of the sub.

Bill
post #55 of 122 Old 03-30-10, 08:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

I guess if I want to see whats going on....I need a calibrated mic, huh? Well....I guess I can start pricing....

Thanks for input Bill

Semper Fi
post #56 of 122 Old 04-02-10, 05:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

My Xenox502 came in and now I'm waiting on my calibrated 8000 mic and I'm going to run the sweeps again as the subs were in the graphs above and post the outcome so the diff can be seen.
post #57 of 122 Old 04-07-10, 10:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

As Audyssey builds its equalization based on the full set of measurement points around its bubble, I decided to look at the average of my measures. Compared to my measurements at the primary listening position, this explains some of Audyssey's optimization choices. Apparently the dip around 130Hz is a room effect across much of the bubble, as it appears after averaging, where some of the other deep dips disappeared in the averaging.

The following graphs were measured at all 8 measurement points of Audyssey MultEQ XT, on a Denon AVR-989 with a calibrated microphone. I took a simple average, without any clever level equalization to adjust for differences in distance, as Audyssey might do. As before, I used 1/3 octave averaging as Sonnie did in the first post. The light green curve is Audyssey Off, blue is Audyssey On.

Left only:
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-100124.leftavgmp1mp8.3rdoct.jpg

Right only:
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-100124.rightavgmp1mp8.3rdoct.jpg

Sub only:
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-100124.subavgmp1mp8.3rdoct.jpg

Left+Right+Sub:
Audyssey Graphs - Please post your results!-100124.bothavgmp1mp8.3rdoct.jpg

It is interesting that averaging the full range measures shows a greater difference between mains and sub than one sees looking at an individual point. Apparently in the main range the responses differ and average out eliminating the peaks. In the sub range, the responses show more correlation, keeping the full peak magnitudes.
post #58 of 122 Old 04-09-10, 07:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Well, I finally got everything a Xenyx 502 & a calibrated ECM8000 and I was having some issues with making a decent graph and was in contact with Doug for almost 2 days....man. All I can say is "THANK YOU DOUG" for your time and effort and Semper Fidelis Devil Dog!

As I suspected and mentioned in the NR1007 owners thread over on AVS it may be operator error and it was for the most part. These graphs are not the greatest but I have something to work with for a month or so then everything is getting shipped off to Italy, and I get to go back to the land of vino, pasta, cheese and, stone/concrete walls and floors with no carpet....going to be fun for sure...got the Grammas in sitting ready to go and will probably be ordering some traps and such to help with all the reflective sound I'm going to have.

Having said all of that, Doug if you see this and still have the graphs I sent to you, there are two things I would like to point out first you will see that the huge rise I had at 400hz is almost gone and that was due to me pulling my mains out 6", second I had the wrong cal file in REW for the mic "my bad and I'm sorry". These graphs are with the left front and dual PBU's and an ASEQ and a NR1007. Like I say not the best but I'm very happy with the 11.5 - 200 graph.

post #59 of 122 Old 04-09-10, 08:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Quote:
laser188139 wrote: View Post
It is interesting that averaging the full range measures shows a greater difference between mains and sub than one sees looking at an individual point. Apparently in the main range the responses differ and average out eliminating the peaks. In the sub range, the responses show more correlation, keeping the full peak magnitudes.

Very interesting indeed, I have yet to check my speakers at full range, nor have I ran them together, as soon as I can get some time at home alone I plan to see how mine pan out as well.

Thanks for your graphs, I will surely use them as reference as to what I come out with.
post #60 of 122 Old 04-12-10, 05:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Moved some stuff around alittle ...not much and ran a couple of sweeps. The first is a sweep with Dynamic EQ on and off, both fronts and dual subs.

Full sweep with Dynamic EQ on and off.

and a sweep with 80-120 hz crossover.....to be honest the 80 to me actually sounds better.

Is there a way to actually turn off Audyssey on the NR1007?