Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Audio Processing (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/)
-   -   does Onkyo convert DVD analog input into digital? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/57662-does-onkyo-convert-dvd-analog-input-into-digital.html)

gdstupak 04-29-12 12:22 AM

does Onkyo convert DVD analog input into digital?

MY computer sound card is connected to my Onkyo TX-SR706's multichannel DVD analog input.

If I use the Onkyo's MULTICHANNEL input selector button, then Audyssey and bass management is not accessible, which seems normal since it is an analog signal.
But if I use the Onkyo's DVD input selector button, then Audyssey and bass management is accessible.
This makes me believe that the Onkyo is converting the DVD analog LEFT/RIGHT signal into digital.

If the Onkyo's DVD input selector button does run the DVD analog LEFT/RIGHT signal through an ADC and then through a DAC....

1) Does it do this also when using the Onkyo's MULTICHANNEL input selector button?

and

2)Does it do this with all of the 7.1 multichannel DVD analog input jacks, or does it only do this with the LEFT and RIGHT input jacks?

tonyvdb 04-30-12 11:11 AM

Re: does Onkyo convert DVD analog input into digital?

If you use the 7.1 multi channel inputs it bypasses all processing of the Onkyo.

gdstupak 04-30-12 01:32 PM

Re: does Onkyo convert DVD analog input into digital?

Quote:

tonyvdb wrote: (Post 519525)
If you use the 7.1 multi channel inputs it bypasses all processing of the Onkyo.

Just to be more specific,
it's not that the analog 7.1 DVD MULTICHANNEL jacks on the back bypasses the processing.

I'm hoping that using the "MULTI CH" input selector button on the front panel will have the analog audio bypass all processing.

But obviously, using the "DVD" input selector button on the front panel takes those same analog DVD LEFT/RIGHT input jacks on the back, and sends them through digital processing. Of course, if I use the "DVD" input selector and set it to "DIRECT" mode, then it will bypass processing of the analog LEFT/RIGHT signal.

If the "MULTI CH" input selector button does automatically always bypass all processing (I'm assuming it does, since it does not have access to Audessey and bass management), then I wonder why it still has "DIRECT" mode available and what it does. I know "PURE DIRECT" is still available and it actually shuts down unnecessary parts of the Onkyo.