Pawn Shop Electronics - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 29 Old 02-11-15, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Pawn Shop Electronics

Thats quite the new adventure there Sonnie!

Ive only ever bought one thing from a pawn shop and that was some used but in great shape Mission speakers. Payed $150 for them, worth way more.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 02-11-15, 11:51 AM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System

The pawnshops I visit also post some of their stuff on eBay.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-11-15, 06:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Curious, as I am about to open up a pawn shop and wondering how often you might score a good piece of vintage gear.
Where youíre located Iíd expect virtually never! Even here in Houston it can be difficult to find vintage gear, although I know one shop that seems to specialize in the stuff. They have 2-3 rows of vintage pro audio gear and even quite a bit of older high-end hi-fi gear. Another shop I used to frequent back in the 90s had old silver-faced receivers and other gear from the Ď70s as far as the eye could see.

As far as other decent-quality gear that guys like us might be interested in, you can find worthwhile late-model gear in Houston if youíre patient and know what part of town to pawnshop in, but I imagine that kind of stuff would be few and far between in any small town.

Before ebay virtually my whole system came from pawn shops, and I knew what shops in town I had the best chance of finding decent gear. Iím too cheap to buy new unless I canít find what I want any other way. Back in í96 I scored two pristine Adcom GFA-555 II amps and two ACE-515 line conditioners for $800, the list price of one of the amps. Not long after that I scored a recent-model (for the day at least), top-of-the-line Yamaha tuner for something like $95 Ė the list price was over $400. And $150 or so for nice Pioneer 3-head cassette deck that listed for $4-600 (forget the exact amount but it wasnít a cheap deck). And so on.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #14 of 29 Old 02-11-15, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah... I don't expect anyone to be walking in my front door with a McIntosh MC30 or MC250... or even any of the older Sansui pieces I see around the net that bring 2-3 times their original price, if in pristine condition that is.

We will probably use eBay for items we get at really good deals and don't want to risk trying to sell locally. It's one of those things where you hate to pass up a good deal if you feel comfortable you can make a few bucks and sell it quick on eBay... even if you know it won't bring much or would take forever to sell locally.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-12-15, 01:04 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I never thought about getting gear at a pawn shop. So I just called the local shop here in T-town & they got nada! Kinda surprises me! So what happens to all the old gear?
post #16 of 29 Old 02-12-15, 01:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Kijiji or Craigslist are common places that you will find old gear. Many people garage sale them as well and many of those have no idea the value of some items.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #17 of 29 Old 02-12-15, 01:29 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
So what happens to all the old gear?
Good question. I’m sure the later-model stuff moves with no problem, but let’s be honest, your average pawn shop patron isn’t into vintage stereo gear so I imagine that stuff moves pretty slow. That place I mentioned that had all that ’70s and ’80s gear back in the 90s, year after year I’d go in there and it didn’t seem like they were moving any of it. Indeed, it seemed the stock was getting larger all the time, and eventually they had stuff stacked in the aisles floors as well as the shelves. I went in the place last year after not visiting it for maybe ten years, and it was all gone. If they did manage to sell it all, I imagine it was on ebay, because it sure wasn’t moving from local traffic.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #18 of 29 Old 02-13-15, 03:42 AM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System

Lol Im one that does look for vintage gear.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.
post #19 of 29 Old 03-20-15, 11:23 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

I haven't stepped into a pawn shop in many years, but I was once in smaller town and saw this pawn shop that had at least 30 bicycles by the front door that got my attention so I had to stop (I am a fan of bicycles) and thought the same if they had cool audio gear.
So walked in and most of their stuff was beat up badly and not really cared for and they wanted an arm and leg for. All I know about pawn shops is they are always close to a liquor store .
post #20 of 29 Old 03-22-16, 01:58 AM
peter SMITH

I used to visit Pawnshops in and around my area all the time but have given up on them years ago. In my experience all Pawnshops tend to over value their items, which is why they build up such massive inventories in just a few years. In addition, because these guys mostly deal with folks who are desperate for cash and accept five cents on a dollar, they tend to treat everyone with less respect than what I'm used to. There are a few exceptions of course, but not enough.