forgive my noobness - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 09-28-15, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

forgive my noobness

I have a fairly simple set up.
A 65' samsung
A sony STR-DH54 receiver,
routing 2 devices to the TV
A samsung Bluray player and a Time Warner Cable box (with HDMI)
When using BD or Smart TV streaming i get noiseless 5.1 sound, but when I switch to the Cable input
I get a constant echoing from all speakers but horrid low volume and echoing from L&R surround speakers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best
Nico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-29-15, 06:13 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Re: forgive my noobness

Check to make sure the AVR is not going into a DSP mode (concert hall, echo mode) when the cable box HDMI input is selected.
I am not familiar with the Sony audio selections but AUTO SURROUND is probably the best choice if it is available.
Check the cable box audio menu, it is most likely set to AUTO or L-PCM.
Switch the setting to the other (AUTO or L-PCM) and see if that fixes the problem.
page 37 here https://www.timewarnercable.com/cont...userguide_.pdf

Please keep posting in this thread, others may have better suggestions.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-29-15, 09:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: forgive my noobness

Charlie is onto something. Pages 42-44 of the User Manual explain the sound modes. In particular, certain sound modes don't work depending on other settings and speaker configuration. I've copied a few of the most likely culprits for you:
  • The sound fields for music and movie do not work if “Analog Direct” is selected.
  • “PLII Movie”, “PLII Music”, “Neo:6 Cinema” and “Neo:6 Music” do not work when the speaker pattern is set to 2/0 or 2/0.1.

If your sound settings for the above scenarios are correct, then please let us know how your cable box is connected to your receiver. Please list type of cable (HDMI, TOSLINK, etc.) and signal names on each end.

I'm jumping ahead here to try and save time, so just ignore this next part if it doesn't apply:
Page-18 of the manual shows that LPCM is not compatible with a coaxial (RCA) or optical (TOSLINK) connection. If you're using either type, then switching the box to AUTO should fix the problem, like Charlie said. Also, many receivers are able to assign different sound modes to each input. Pages 51 & 52 of you user manual explain how to change this "control". Page 52 shows that the SAT/CATV input defaults to OPT-1.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-29-15, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
I think these guys are going the right way. I would also check to make sure that you have the speaker cables connected to the correct outputs on the receiver. This is something easy to get crossed up if you're not paying enough attention.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-15, 02:46 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Hopefully the OP will post again with success or more information.