Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 52 Old 12-12-15, 08:51 AM
Shackster
EZ

My System
Re: Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade?

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Hope you have a magnifying glass to go with that screen size.
60 inches is plenty big for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 12-12-15, 01:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
EricZimmerman wrote: View Post
60 inches is plenty big for now!
Nothing to be ashamed about with 60".
post #33 of 52 Old 12-17-15, 04:01 PM

Upgraded in Oct 2014 from a 7.1 system to 7.1.4, and I'll never go back to traditional surround sound. Very much worth the upgrade IMO.

The atmos mixes are nice, some are fantastic, and it's nice to play them back as intended. I've also become a fan of DSU, which I now apply to all content.

I had been enjoying the tech in the theaters since 2012, so I was chomping at the bit for the residential version and jumped in as soon as possible.

post #34 of 52 Old 01-21-16, 05:01 PM
Shackster

rim upgrading my system next month
post #35 of 52 Old 01-21-16, 08:31 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I just dipped my toes in the water and picked up a Marantz 7702MKII which is supposed to have DTS-X next month.

I first tried a 5.2.2 system with the front ceiling speakers situated about 4 feet in front of my MLP and close to the sides. Using Mirage OMD5 bookshelves turned upside down and mounted on ceiling brackets. The only Atmos BD I have right now is San Andreas and have only watched a few clips, plan on watching it this weekend. With just the front heights it wasn't all that great, just ok. I then decided to pick up 4 8ft 2 x 4's and construct some quick 7.5' stands to mount my other set of OMD5's about 2 feet behind the MLP for a 5.2.4 set-up and this sounds a LOT better. It even improved music listening when engaging DSU, impressive.

I am really waiting to hear what DTS-X has to offer and that is when I will decide if permanent ceiling speakers will be worth the upgrade.

I have to admit that my Sherwood with Trinnov still have a better soundstage 7702MKII though. Playing back the gatling gun scene from The Book of Eli with Trinnov the sound wraps around you and is so much more convincing than with the 7702MKII.

Want to add the back surrounds as well but only have 1 free amp channel, will a 6.2.4 system work or does it have to be 2 back surrounds?

Besides San Andreas is there any other Atmos BD's anyone can recommend to get the best demo from the new format?

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #36 of 52 Old 01-21-16, 08:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Gravity and Everest are two good ones. DSU is also reputed to greatly enhance the sense of space with 7.1 also.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
post #37 of 52 Old 01-21-16, 09:21 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
vidiot33 wrote: View Post
Gravity and Everest are two good ones. DSU is also reputed to greatly enhance the sense of space with 7.1 also.

I just put both of those in my wishlist, making sure to get the Diamond Luxe edition of Gravity.

With the Marantz I have noticed it only offers DSU with stereo and TrueHD tracks but the option to pick it is not there with DTS-HD tracks. Anyone know if there is a way to engage DSU with DTS-HD tracks? Now that I think about it can I just have my BD player convert the DTS-HD track to LPCM to trick the Marantz into using DSU?

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #38 of 52 Old 01-22-16, 10:15 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I just put both of those in my wishlist, making sure to get the Diamond Luxe edition of Gravity. With the Marantz I have noticed it only offers DSU with stereo and TrueHD tracks but the option to pick it is not there with DTS-HD tracks. Anyone know if there is a way to engage DSU with DTS-HD tracks? Now that I think about it can I just have my BD player convert the DTS-HD track to LPCM to trick the Marantz into using DSU?
I believe you're going to need to wait for the introduction of DTS:X for this. Atmos uses a Dolby TruHD bitstream to extract Atmos.

post #39 of 52 Old 01-22-16, 11:35 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
With the Marantz I have noticed it only offers DSU with stereo and TrueHD tracks but the option to pick it is not there with DTS-HD tracks. Anyone know if there is a way to engage DSU with DTS-HD tracks? Now that I think about it can I just have my BD player convert the DTS-HD track to LPCM to trick the Marantz into using DSU?
The Denon/Marantz 2015 models had this limitation. Whether it was by mistake or intentional, the firmware doesn't allow them to apply DSU to DTS-HDMA tracks. Some have speculated that the intent was for people to use only the upmixer that should come along with the DTS:X firmware upgrade to upmix DTS-HDMA. Note that all other manufacturers of Atmos receivers do not have this limitation.

Fortunately, as you point out, the solution is to send PCM instead of bitstream from your player when you want to apply DSU to these tracks.
post #40 of 52 Old 01-22-16, 11:44 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I'm coming a little late to this discussion, but have read all the posts now. Regarding Auro, it seems to me that it is dead in the water, at least in the US. Since its big introduction at CEDIA 2014 (and I heard their demo there which was indeed fantastic), not a single movie has been released in the format for the home. And there were only one or two at the time to begin with! Also, the only sub-$10k receivers/pre-pros that support it are the Denon-Marantz units (and you have to pay an additional $200 to get the Auro firmware - it can't do it out of the box).

Whereas Atmos has a few dozen titles now, and plenty more announced. And with the release of UHD pending, the rate of release of Atmos titles will likely increase.

I don't think there's going to be a "format war" (in the traditional sense, like Beta vs VHS or Blu-ray vs HD DVD) with DTS:X and Atmos, any more than there was a format war between Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA. True, DTS-HDMA dominated with blu rays, but any receiver or player that could process one could also process the other. From the consumer's point of view, it didn't matter, and I suspect that's what will happen with DTS:X and Atmos.