Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade? - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 52 Old 01-23-16, 07:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I'm coming a little late to this discussion, but have read all the posts now. Regarding Auro, it seems to me that it is dead in the water, at least in the US. Since its big introduction at CEDIA 2014 (and I heard their demo there which was indeed fantastic), not a single movie has been released in the format for the home. And there were only one or two at the time to begin with! Also, the only sub-$10k receivers/pre-pros that support it are the Denon-Marantz units (and you have to pay an additional $200 to get the Auro firmware - it can't do it out of the box). Whereas Atmos has a few dozen titles now, and plenty more announced. And with the release of UHD pending, the rate of release of Atmos titles will likely increase. I don't think there's going to be a "format war" (in the traditional sense, like Beta vs VHS or Blu-ray vs HD DVD) with DTS:X and Atmos, any more than there was a format war between Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA. True, DTS-HDMA dominated with blu rays, but any receiver or player that could process one could also process the other. From the consumer's point of view, it didn't matter, and I suspect that's what will happen with DTS:X and Atmos.
Yes, Atmos is winning the format war to this point. As you mentioned, Auro isn't even a serious contender (except in Europe). It appears Atmos and DTS:X will co-exist and appear to be generally compatible with each other in terms of speaker configuration, though DTS:X is late to the game and has some catching up to do.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 Old 01-24-16, 11:37 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Re: Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade?

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Ok, so I guess when I do some renovations to the theater (soon) I will add the speakers so Im at least ready for it when I upgrade the receiver. Im just happy with the Onkyo 805 and my current speaker setup/room that its hard to imagine better except maybe another sub.
Ive set up only one Atmos system so far that I thought was a worthwhile investment.. It did include some very expensive DALI speakers and 2 Sunfire HRS12's for a 7.2.4 Atmos config...with a Marantz 7009 avr.
The other systems with entry level speakers was much less satisfying sonics...
That said, in my opinion your money will be much better spent on a Dirac Live processor / integrated with your current setup, its a superior room correction device for less money than adding a new Atmos receiver and atmos speakers...
post #43 of 52 Old 01-25-16, 03:20 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
That said, in my opinion your money will be much better spent on a Dirac Live processor / integrated with your current setup, its a superior room correction device for less money than adding a new Atmos receiver and atmos speakers...
You have not heard Tony's system! His system is dialed in pretty well even with a miss match of LCR vs rear speakers.

I still think DTS-X needs to become more main stream as Atmos seems to have rigid placements for an object based process. DTS does say that Atmos placement will work but if you end up with DTS you are able to place your speakers anywhere in the room.

post #44 of 52 Old 01-25-16, 03:32 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Blacklightning wrote: View Post
I still think DTS-X needs to become more main stream as Atmos seems to have rigid placements for an object based process. DTS does say that Atmos placement will work but if you end up with DTS you are able to place your speakers anywhere in the room.
Be careful with your assumptions there. The Atmos system is capable of rendering to a variety of layouts (the spec allows for up to 24 floor locations and 10 ceiling or "height" locations), just as DTS:X claims to be. The issue is that no processor out there short of $20k+ supports that potential.

I expect that the same will apply for the initial run of DTS:X. Just like Atmos is currently implemented, you will likely be able to choose from among a small handful of layouts or speaker positions.

Regardless, at least until object audio becomes ubiquitous, you're going to want your standard 7 channels to conform to the current standards so that you can properly play non-immersive audio tracks. So the only significant flexibility you would have anyway would be on the ceiling/height channels.
post #45 of 52 Old 02-20-16, 01:03 AM
Shackster

Just got the Denon AVR-X7200WA and living on DTS-X 11.2 ..... Think better then Atmos but every hear and room is different but DTS-X is better !
post #46 of 52 Old 02-21-16, 09:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
HomeTheater1010 wrote: View Post
Just got the Denon AVR-X7200WA and living on DTS-X 11.2 ..... Think better then Atmos but every hear and room is different but DTS-X is better !
Congrats! What type of speakers and layout are you using?
post #47 of 52 Old 02-21-16, 09:51 AM
Senior Shackster

Want to add the back surrounds as well but only have 1 free amp channel, will a 6.2.4 system work or does it have to be 2 back surrounds?

According to Thomas Holman of THX fame who is now with Audyssey it is better to use one rear speaker directly behind you. He says your barin can't really process sounds behind you as nearly as well as it can from the front channels. I use just one surround back channel using the same speaker as my L-R channels and believe he is right.

How do you like the Mirage speakers as height channels?
post #48 of 52 Old 02-21-16, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

A single rear channel was just fine back in the day of Dolby pro logic surround sound but now that dedicated channel mixes are the norm and 7.1 movie soundtracks are very common if your room is large enough a single rear speaker or simply 5.1 speakers is not enough if you want the full enveloping sound. I don't know about you but I sure can hear a pan from left to right behind my head.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #49 of 52 Old 02-21-16, 02:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

+Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #50 of 52 Old 03-18-16, 10:49 AM
Shackster

Paul

My System
My concern is Atmos and DTS:X mixes will be on UHD discs rather than BR requiring a new player. I am not ready to upgrade and add speakers & equipment.

Also, I should have waited to convert my DVD collection to VUDU UHD as VUDU will not have an "upgrade" option - repurchase only.

I will stick with 9.2 PLIIz and buy UHD/BR double packs going forward. Perhaps another year of patience will pay off.

Waiting for Jerry Jones to fire himself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.