Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade?

Ok, so with Atmos and DTS-x becoming more common is it really worth the upgrade at home?
Ok let me clarify, I am not taking going from a so so system to a full upgrade including new speakers all around Im saying for someone who already has a great system just no overhead Atmos speakers. Is it really worth getting a new receiver that supports it?

Ive been to only one Atmos movie in the theater and it was underwhelming. I still enjoy movies at home much more.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 02:05 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: Atmos/ DTS-x, really worth the upgrade?

Like you, I go to the movies and say "Can't wait to hear this at home..." That being said you should audition an intimate Dolby Atmos setup. When I heard it at an audio show (In a hotel room with all the furniture removed)
It sounded SO much better than a theater. I was really able to look at a point in the room where I thought that sound was coming from.
If you have the right room and the budget, I recommend it.
post #3 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 02:35 PM
HTS Reviewer

For you the difference will be subtle, but still worth the effort in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:13 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

At this point in the technologies evolution I'm not even thinking about it. I'm not a version 1.0 guy because I've often encountered frustrating issues. I wait for the first update myself. If you have a nice system that you really like it may not be worth starting over again until there's a compelling reason to do so. Like available media for example, of which there's little at the moment.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Tony - I've had very ho-hum Atmos experiences at commercial cinemas... But at home, wow, what an impactful technology. It's fantastic and completely worth the upgrade, IMO. It adds a dimension to sound that is like nothing we've ever had access to in the home - I can almost guarantee that if you heard the first 20 minutes of Gravity (diamond luxe ed), you'd be sold. The key is getting the configuration right. A few months ago I wrote a piece about Atmos that included recommendation/comments from THX testers. Of course, their advice might have its own holes, I'm sure, but they have quite a bit of testing data to make their advice worth paying attention to...Which is basically a full 7.1 multichannel system with two top front and two top middle ceiling channels for height.

I can dig up a link when I get home.

On a side note... As great as Atmos sounds, I heard an Auro 3D demo at CEDIA that was mind blowing. IMO, it was more impressive than the best Atmos I've heard. I wish A-3D had more traction in our hemisphere...they are trying to lay inroads, but battling Dolby and DTS on their own turf is tough.
post #6 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:32 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Oh lovely, another BETA versus VHS battle? In that one the inferior platform - VHS - won out. Let's hope this one goes our way.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ok, so I guess when I do some renovations to the theater (soon) I will add the speakers so Im at least ready for it when I upgrade the receiver. Im just happy with the Onkyo 805 and my current speaker setup/room that its hard to imagine better except maybe another sub.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #8 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Oh lovely, another BETA versus VHS battle? In that one the inferior platform - VHS - won out.
Agree, lets hope cassette tapes dont make a great comeback like some are saying.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #9 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:45 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Oh lovely, another BETA versus VHS battle? In that one the inferior platform - VHS - won out. Let's hope this one goes our way.
Could be... Both require different speaker configurations. The good news is that DTS-X "supposedly" will work with any speaker configuration. Of course, DTS-X is vaporware at this point...

Definitely wire speakers... Or at least run wires for likely speaker locations... Will make your life waaaay easier down the road ;-)
post #10 of 52 Old 12-03-15, 03:56 PM
Elite Shackster

I'm a man who could care less what my "theater" looks like... I'm all about performance. You will see wires... diffusion panels... etc.. all over my room.

Right now... atmos and the other stuff is on the back burner... I will upgrade when 100% of the movies released contain these audio tracks... till then who knows what will stick and/or dominate. Obviously they are not going anywhere because they are major players in the audio world for these tracks but it's not matured enough yet....

but when they do... I will run some PVC along the wall up the ceiling and run some cabling through it and mount the speaker anywhere I wish to because you just simply cannot predict which spot will sound the best... I may paint the pvc the same color as the walls but i'm not going to let asthetics take place of performance. I've seen some fancy home theaters that were all oooooohhhhhh and aaaaaahhhhhh but sounded very poor... ppfff who cares.

Master Electrician

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"