Burr-Brown vs Cirrus Logic vs Analog Devices: What are the differences between these three DACs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 11-28-08, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Burr-Brown vs Cirrus Logic vs Analog Devices: What are the differences between these three DACs

Right now there are three main companies developing DACs for Receivers and such.
Texes interments, Burr-Brown
Cirrus Logic
Analog Devices

With the recent switch from using the Bur-Brown DACs in the lower end Onkyo receivers to the Cirrus Logic DACs I wonder if this really makes an audible difference.

Pioneer and Denon have been using the Analog Devices DACs in some of there receivers
Yamaha and the higher end Onkyo's and Denon are Using Burr-Brown
And Marantz and the newer lower end Onkyo's are using the Cirrus Logic DACs

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-29-08, 08:53 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
re: Burr-Brown vs Cirrus Logic vs Analog Devices: What are the differences between these three DACs

Good question,... to which I have no answer. For some unknown reason I have always assumed the BurrBrown DACs were the best

Mark
post #3 of 22 Old 12-01-08, 02:31 AM
drf
drf

re: Burr-Brown vs Cirrus Logic vs Analog Devices: What are the differences between these three DACs

DACs, like op amps, are only as good as the supporting circuitry. To the end user it doesn't really matter which dac is used, so long as the unit as a whole is properly designed. In other words a good chip that is poorly implemented will sound worse than a poor chip properly implemented. I would buy based on overall performance rather than what chips they use.

You are significantly more likely to hear a difference in the program algorithms and fx processing than you are dac performance.

my 2c
Dr F

post #4 of 22 Old 12-01-08, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
drf wrote: View Post
DACs, like op amps, are only as good as the supporting circuitry. To the end user it doesn't really matter which dac is used, so long as the unit as a whole is properly designed. In other words a good chip that is poorly implemented will sound worse than a poor chip properly implemented. I would buy based on overall performance rather than what chips they use.

You are significantly more likely to hear a difference in the program algorithms and fx processing than you are dac performance.
Thats a very good point, And one to seriously keep in mind when buying an new Receiver or PrePro.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 22 Old 12-26-08, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Burr-Brown vs Cirrus Logic vs Analog Devices: What are the differences between these three DACs

Here are a few specs for various DACs:

Burr-Brown PCM1791 (SNR 113dB / THD 0.001%)

Burr-Brown PCM1796 (SNR 120dB / THD 0.0005%)

Burr-Brown PCM1792 (SNR 129dB / THD 0.0004%)

Cirrus Logic CS4398 (SNR 120dB / THD 0.0007%)

Analog Devices AD1955 (SNR 120dB / THD 0.0006%)

Wolfson Microelectronics WM8741 (SNR 128dB / THD 0.001%)
post #6 of 22 Old 12-26-08, 12:04 PM
Banned!

Re: Burr-Brown vs Cirrus Logic vs Analog Devices: What are the differences between these three DACs

In addition to chiming in with "DRF's comments sound spot on to me", I would add...

Well, those SNR and THD numbers might make a difference if you were really cranking the system (like, stadium levels), but I'd be curious to see study where at 85dB in your Home Theater someone was able to hear the difference. Even the worst spec'd of those DACs (SNR 113dB / THD 0.001%) still has great numbers, though as DRF said, it's only part of the equation.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-26-08, 12:13 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Used to be that Burr Brown and Analog Devices had the best reputations for quality performance and truly meeting their specs. Now it looks like Cirrus Logic and Wolfson have arrived, as far as specs go, for consumer audio playback.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-26-08, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Nowadays there won't be an audible difference between DACs, circuitry, algorithms, or anything else unless the manufacturer has purposefully intended to achieve a non flat FR or the amp section is way underpowered. Look to power, inputs/outputs, and features rather than DACs or claimed sound quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-26-08, 02:09 PM

Looks like it has been covered. No difference unless something is broken or the difference is done on purpose. With the types of specifications DACs have humans would need more than golden ears to hear a difference!
post #10 of 22 Old 12-29-08, 01:56 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Here are a few specs for various DACs:

Burr-Brown PCM1791 (SNR 113dB / THD 0.001%)

Burr-Brown PCM1796 (SNR 120dB / THD 0.0005%)

Burr-Brown PCM1792 (SNR 129dB / THD 0.0004%)

Cirrus Logic CS4398 (SNR 120dB / THD 0.0007%)

Analog Devices AD1955 (SNR 120dB / THD 0.0006%)

Wolfson Microelectronics WM8741 (SNR 128dB / THD 0.001%)
Agreed with all said above. According to these specs we're talking about a ten-thousandth of a percent or .000000# difference between DACs. Hardly measurable let alone audible.