Media room with 5 ceiling speakers - 5.1 or Atmos 5.1.4? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 10-12-18, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Media room with 5 ceiling speakers - 5.1 or Atmos 5.1.4?

Hi Jason, I haven't ordered the speakers yet as I grapple with one last decision regarding which Elac speakers I should get. The Elac Debut 2.0 bundles sold everywhere include a center speaker C6.2, two floor-standing speakers F6.2, two bookshelf speakers B6.2 and a subwoofer Sub3010. Looking at reviews, C6.2 and B6.2 are widely praised for their performance, but reviews of F6.2 are mixed. Also, I am a little concerned that two F6.2 towers might overwhelm the room especially when using a couple of subwoofers (the room size is 16'8"x15'10" with 10-12' vaulted ceiling). So I am thinking of getting one C6.2 for the center, four B6.2 speakers (two for the front, two for surround) and a couple of subwoofers. Also, I am not thinking of replacing the ceiling speakers yet (although they could be because this is a builder-built house, so we'll see). What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 10-12-18, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Deleting duplicate post.

Last edited by rjain2rj; 10-12-18 at 05:23 PM. Reason: duplicate post
post #13 of 14 Old 10-12-18, 05:46 PM
Shackster
Jason O

I think you are on the right path it is what i would do if i were you, I am a fan of the bookshelf speakers that is what i own myself. What part of the country are you in? Did you look into the Blue Jeans cables?
Let me know what you think when you are all done !
Jason O

post #14 of 14 Old 10-14-18, 11:48 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
rjain2rj wrote: View Post
Hi Jason, I haven't ordered the speakers yet as I grapple with one last decision regarding which Elac speakers I should get. The Elac Debut 2.0 bundles sold everywhere include a center speaker C6.2, two floor-standing speakers F6.2, two bookshelf speakers B6.2 and a subwoofer Sub3010. Looking at reviews, C6.2 and B6.2 are widely praised for their performance, but reviews of F6.2 are mixed. Also, I am a little concerned that two F6.2 towers might overwhelm the room especially when using a couple of subwoofers (the room size is 16'8"x15'10" with 10-12' vaulted ceiling). So I am thinking of getting one C6.2 for the center, four B6.2 speakers (two for the front, two for surround) and a couple of subwoofers. Also, I am not thinking of replacing the ceiling speakers yet (although they could be because this is a builder-built house, so we'll see). What do you think?

Personally, I would never buy a sub from elac although the aforementioned speakers seem to be well received and are worth consideration. As far as the towers go, I wouldn’t be concerned with overwhelming the the room with them. IMO they will deliver dynamics in a much better fashion than bookshelf speakers, and especially with a 120” screen, you will want to match the visual size to the audio dynamo. The dual 6.5” woofers also aren’t enough to add serious bass especially since the low frequency response is listed at 39hz. Who knows if that’s f3 or f6 or what. For subwoofer duty I would shop at Rythmik, HSU or SVS. The SVS cylinders are a great way to minimize footprint and maximize output and extension.
Also for speakers, consider RBH impression series. This link is to the towers but definitely browse away.
If you want to replace the ceiling speakers, or the time comes to put them in their proper place, consider RSL C34e’s. They have a 15deg angle built into the baffle and when installed in a slanted ceiling, will basically point strait down. They image like crazy and are a great value. I used 4 in my 7.3.4 system.
RSL also has speaker packages and for a small form factor their speedwoofer subs are awesome. They have a new line, and new subs coming too. Call or email joe Rodgers
https://rbhsound.com/r55.php
The 4400 is also a great choice. I saw a recommendation for the 6400 but it doesn’t add anything substantial.