What is "reference level"? - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #71 of 81 Old 03-13-15, 05:45 PM
Shackster
dreamerpuppy

Re: What is "reference level"?

Wow ! you guys give me so much to think about. I am now officially terrified to be here. I know so little and need to know so much. I will never even come close to your gear. I hope you all can put up with my lack of knowledge. I love HT though so we have that in common if nothing else. I thought I knew what reference level was. I guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 Old 03-13-15, 08:30 PM
Senior Shackster

I agree with those who have said...

Once calibrated, a surround system's speakers (5.1/7.1/9.1 or 11.1) should be level matched (relative to each other) to 85db (strictly speaking) or 75db (more tolerable/less likely to break something) at the 0 volume position on your pre-pro, processor except for the subwoofer (the .1) which should be 10db higher if your particular sub can achieve that without falling apart at the seams (literally).

Room acoustics, size and layout all play a role in how your system sounds and whether or not it will achieve reference level at the listening position without distortion.
post #73 of 81 Old 04-04-15, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
eyleron wrote: View Post
It's much less fuzzy and subjective than you are making it out to be. Like you are discussing what the term "fast" means to you, vs the term "speed of sound at sea level."
Good analogy, eyeleron, terms like "fast" are qualitative rather than quantitative.

Quote:
Movie Reference Level, 0dbFS, is: at the listening position being assessed, the volume level is such that each channel will produce a maximum of 105dB, except LFE, which shall be 115dB.
Correct, technically speaking (please see next comment).

Quote:
Now, whether one likes that level or not is another issue.
And that's where house curves come into play. You're probably already using one, if even if you don't know what it is. Ever bump-up the subwoofer level after auto-EQ or manual calibration? Well, you've just created a house curve!
ellisr63 likes this.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #74 of 81 Old 04-04-15, 11:19 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
dreamerpuppy wrote: View Post
Wow ! you guys give me so much to think about. I am now officially terrified to be here. I know so little and need to know so much. I will never even come close to your gear. I hope you all can put up with my lack of knowledge. I love HT though so we have that in common if nothing else. I thought I knew what reference level was. I guess not.
Welcome, dreamerpuppy! We were all in your shoes once, and we all have to start somewhere. Please read my comments above. Also, you can check out the STICKY threads at the top of any forum for general info. Glad to have you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
ellisr63 likes this.

post #75 of 81 Old 02-06-17, 08:25 PM
Marcus

Maybe I am oversimplifying this question but I am looking for the easy route to "reference" level. My system includes a Marantz AV7702 Pre plus 200 watt per channel Outlaw Amp plus SVS Ultra 5.2 speakers. Forget the subwoofers for the moment. If I run Audyssey XT32 from my Marantz, it sets the trims and distances for all 5 speakers. The results look appropriate. I then crossover at 80hz.

After having done this exercise, if I turn up the Marantz volume to 0, am I at "reference" level?

Thanks!
Marcus
post #76 of 81 Old 02-06-17, 08:39 PM
Shackster
David

Quote:
Desertpilot wrote: View Post
Maybe I am oversimplifying this question but I am looking for the easy route to "reference" level. My system includes a Marantz AV7702 Pre plus 200 watt per channel Outlaw Amp plus SVS Ultra 5.2 speakers. Forget the subwoofers for the moment. If I run Audyssey XT32 from my Marantz, it sets the trims and distances for all 5 speakers. The results look appropriate. I then crossover at 80hz.

After having done this exercise, if I turn up the Marantz volume to 0, am I at "reference" level?

Thanks!
Marcus
Yes, insomuch as you are "giving the gas" to achieve such.

Many speakers can't output at that level from 12 feet away. And must that do produce a great deal of distortion, so there's not noise than good sound.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #77 of 81 Old 02-07-17, 09:54 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Quote:
Desertpilot wrote: View Post
... then crossover at 80hz.

Thanks!
Marcus
Good Question,
Essentially "Reference Level" is critically important in the recording studio. For many reasons an established recording Sound Pressure Level (SPL) for all recorded sound is predetermined and used universally by recording engineers etc etc.

Recorded music, movie soundtracks etc recorded at Ref Levels are then calibrated and ready for intended play back levels predetermined by recording artists and engineers etc.

In order to play back recorded soundtracks at intended ref levels your electronic equipment must have the ability to generate its own "pink noise" and you will need an SPL Meter.

Using the pink noise generator you must then calibrate each speaker volume to register 75db on the SPL meter (subwoofer adjusted to 85db) this is a "C Weighted" ref level sound playback.

However, hearing and listening for each individual is not linear or interpreting sound volumes is different for each individual and even the same person can hear a recording played back at the same volume as loud when listening late at night or quiet when listening at midday.

The easy "ref level" check for me is a sound system that is calibrated to playback uniform sound at appropriate SPL along with speaker timing delay etc etc e.g. all else being proportional to sound volumes of the original musical instruments and/or original sounds recorded. E.G. a ref level is hearing a sound played back sounding like the original sound at volumes listened to at that moment of origination.

Enjoy -
ellisr63 likes this.

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #78 of 81 Old 03-08-17, 08:21 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Gregr wrote: View Post
Good Question,
Essentially "Reference Level" is critically important in the recording studio. For many reasons an established recording Sound Pressure Level (SPL) for all recorded sound is predetermined and used universally by recording engineers etc etc.
(...)
The easy "ref level" check for me is a sound system that is calibrated to playback uniform sound at appropriate SPL along with speaker timing delay etc etc e.g. all else being proportional to sound volumes of the original musical instruments and/or original sounds recorded. E.G. a ref level is hearing a sound played back sounding like the original sound at volumes listened to at that moment of origination.
Enjoy -
Knowing that timing delay etc etc is done properly, if I listen my ht 5.1 always around 70 db 68-db, is it better to calibrate the SPL of each channels at 70db instead 75? or it does'nt make any difference at the MLP?
post #79 of 81 Old 03-08-17, 08:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
FargateOne wrote: View Post
Knowing that timing delay etc etc is done properly, if I listen my ht 5.1 always around 70 db 68-db, is it better to calibrate the SPL of each channels at 70db instead 75? or it does'nt make any difference at the MLP?
The lower you calibrate, the closer you are to your system's noise floor. It will make a difference (in headroom) for acoustic measurements, but shouldn't make much difference at the MLP. I think calibrating to 70dB instead of 75dB will just change how much you'll need to turn your AVR's master volume to reach the same SPL as before.

post #80 of 81 Old 03-08-17, 09:24 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Lou, I think your right.
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...ference-level/
I like this explanation in"reference" to the title.
Lumen likes this.