What's your favorite home theater or audio/video magazine? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 28 Old 06-04-06, 03:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Ron

Re: What's your favorite home theater or audio/video magazine?

I can't say I have ever purchased a stereo or home theater magazine. Seems I get the bulk of my information from the forums. Is that so bad?

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 06-04-06, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Forums will no doubt give you more user experience and should offer a wider variety of information on products.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-05-06, 12:12 PM
Stephanie_tva
Inactive

Little off topic here

I read all the forums I can to get AV knowledge. Though if you go to my house, instead of Cosmo and glamour, you see Popular science on my coffee table...

post #14 of 28 Old 06-06-06, 11:55 AM
Senior Shackster

Tom

Home Theater Magazine is the one that Im subscribed to at the moment. I'd like to find some others that are similar to order

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-07-06, 11:16 AM
catnip
Inactive

I've subscribed to to a bunch of home theater magazines just to see what they offer: Sound & Vision, Home Theater, Perfect Vision and Widescreen Review. I find that Perfect Vision and Widescreen Review fit my needs best with some in depth reviews with detailed but understandable technical material. Greg Rogers at WSR is particularly good on video topics and Joe kane (from Digital Video Essentials fame) is a regular contributor. WSR also seems to do a good job of DVD evaluation.

For audio I've just about given up. Audio was probably the best commercial magazine, and I tried a number of the boutique journals but most eventually folded. I now read Audio Express just to keep my toe in the water, and they have a lot of DIY projects to keep things interesting.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-07-06, 04:10 PM
DMF
Inactive

Were I to choose a favorite, it would be to admit that at least one of them was any good.
Attachments
post #17 of 28 Old 06-07-06, 05:31 PM
dBWall
Inactive

One that I haven't seen mentioned here is a terrific little rag out of Montanna called, "HDTV Etc." It recently absorbed "DVD Etc." and does a consistently good job. One of the best things about it is the way that it does every review in the same format so, when comparing two pieces of gear (i.e. a Denon and a Yamaha Receiver) you really feel like you are comparing apples to apples.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-08-06, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hey Daryl and welcome to the Shack!

I had forgot about DVD, Etc. I received a few issues of that once but never subscribed. I did find it interesting but already had a couple going at the time. HDTV, Etc. sounds interesing.
post #19 of 28 Old 06-08-06, 06:24 AM
Senior Shackster

Tom

Quote:
dBWall wrote:
One that I haven't seen mentioned here is a terrific little rag out of Montanna called, "HDTV Etc." It recently absorbed "DVD Etc." and does a consistently good job. One of the best things about it is the way that it does every review in the same format so, when comparing two pieces of gear (i.e. a Denon and a Yamaha Receiver) you really feel like you are comparing apples to apples.
The web site looks interesting, I just subscribed for a year...

post #20 of 28 Old 06-08-06, 07:45 PM
dBWall
Inactive

Glad I could help out, guys... and glad to be here... I came over from Home Theater Forum. Take a look at my web site at www.forwalls.ca.

d.