Are Home Theater Magazines out of touch with the average person? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: How much have you spent total on your Home Theater setup?
Under $1,000 4 6.78%
Between $1,000 and $2,000 4 6.78%
Between $2,000 and $5,000 21 35.59%
Over $5,000 11 18.64%
Over $10,000 17 28.81%
Don't ask, even I can't count that high! 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

post #31 of 40 Old 08-29-07, 08:40 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Re: Are Home Theater Magazines out of touch with the average person?

Bill-

That's all very reasonable and the unqualified use of the terms "bargain" or "reasonable" is irresponsible. Sometimes, it is an insensitivity to the perspectives of others. Sometimes, it is simply to be provocative. (I've done that.)

That said, I trust that any economically successful publication has assessed its readerships interests and needs accurately. Few of us would be the "average" reader in any one, let alone all of them.

I am not trying to defend anyone's editorial policies, btw, just trying to be reasonable.

Kal

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 08-29-07 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 08-30-07, 07:41 AM
Senior Shackster
gs

If you look up the new Astin-Martin on Edmunds, you may find the testimonial from the guy who has owned Ferraris and Lambourghinis, who thinks the A-M is a "bargain". So it all is relative. Still, a R&T magazine with readership of 100,000 writes articles about cars that sell hundreds. Are they writing seriously to their average reader? Yes and no. The average reader will never own the A-M, or the Ferrari, so why not read about them? A Trans-am you can test drive at your local Pontiac dealer, so who needs to read about it?

The same is true for the Runco home theater. I, for instance, plan to never own one, so a review in a magazine is reasonable read. Still, it is not a "bargain" to the average readership, and such statements ring false.
post #33 of 40 Old 08-30-07, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
gsmollin wrote: View Post
The same is true for the Runco home theater. I, for instance, plan to never own one, so a review in a magazine is reasonable read. Still, it is not a "bargain" to the average readership, and such statements ring false.
I totally agree that it is a reasonable read and article, and I also enjoy reading about high performance gear whether it's cars, computers, or HT gear. In that sense it shows us what is out there and what is capable of being done. We all know that a $1000 projector isn't going to perform like a $250,000 Runco Signature Cinema SC-1. It does though tell us a few things to look for in the less expensive brands, so that is of value. The thing is I think they should say exactly that.

I'd like to see more of a balance with high end and realistic end both being presented and both being stated as to what they really are. Certainly we all would love to own the best available, but many times that's just not realistic. So we make decisions and sometimes compromises. Some of the articles (not all) tend to have an elitist air to them. I would accept an article that said 'This isn't practical price wise for the average or even above average consumer, but the quality (not value or 'bargain') is beyond reproach.' That is fair and valid.

I don't consider myself a poor person, so that's not why I started this thread at all. It's not just me either, I personally know others that have said the same thing about some of these magazines. The other comment I hear is some people say 'Man, maybe this is out of my league' or 'I really must be poor...' In that sense it could actually dissuade some people rather than build more sales and future consumers. The person that buys the $1000 projector today, usually ends up wanting an upgrade down the road. If that person walks away because of $50K budget DIY Home Theaters being featured as well as HT setups in the hundreds of thousands because it doesn't seem feasable to even think about setting one up, what did they [magazines] really end up accomplishing? If they sparked excitement by showing people what can be done on a more realistic budget wouldn't that be better?

Sure, they should continue to have the ultra high end reviews and articles, I'd just like to see a little more balance is all. And they need to stop saying how much a bargin $200 plus HDMI and speaker cables are!!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

post #34 of 40 Old 08-31-07, 05:39 PM
Senior Shackster
gs

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
... And they need to stop saying how much a bargin $200 plus HDMI and speaker cables are!!
Don't hijack your own thread by bringing up cables. HDMI is my pet peeve in HT. The broadcast studios can run HD signals round on an RG-58U cable using the HD-SDI, but we're saddled with that miserable HDMI albatross.
post #35 of 40 Old 08-31-07, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Nah wasn't highjacking, it's part of the whole topic. Some mags do say these high priced cables make a difference when they don't... but flip the page and what do you see? An advertisement for high priced cables!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #36 of 40 Old 09-01-07, 09:35 AM
Shackster
Nick

If you ever count the hours you put into your AV system over the years, what would be the value added worth of your system?
post #37 of 40 Old 09-01-07, 08:33 PM
Senior Shackster
gs

Don't ask, even I can't count that high!
post #38 of 40 Old 09-03-07, 06:02 PM
Senior Shackster

fred

I voted over $5,000 my electronics and associated bits will come in over $7,000 when currently plan is complete. However if you include the room I pretty much built by myself from the ground up then you are talking much more serious money. Hey when it is completed as per current plans and it is not up to par, guess what?
post #39 of 40 Old 09-09-07, 10:07 AM
Shackster
Dennis

The HT mags are for the most part out to lunch on most of what they print. I think part of their strategy is to make their readers feel like they got a bargain when they purchase this stuff in the real world. The internet auction sites are full of equipment from those who paid too much, and could not figure out how to use after the tech left. Which is fine by me.
I spoke with an internet seller, who only sells vintage speakers, and he told me not to get rid of my large advents because to buy something comparable in sound and quality I would have to spend $2500. or more. I guess what I am trying to say is that all the newest stuff that the HT mags put out are not necessarily better, but newer and more expensive.
post #40 of 40 Old 09-10-07, 08:13 AM
Shackster
fred33

I am just starting out, but I found from reading the mags and then actually going out and talking with people I got different opinions. I found that you have to find a common with all the information and take the good with the bad. The best way that I found was to try out the products that I can afford and use my own judgment. Mostly the mags point me in the right direction.