Duplication of VHS tapes - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-07, 10:28 PM
blueraven
Inactive

Duplication of VHS tapes

I prob have around 3k movies on VHS.

whats the cheapest and whats the best(quality) way to make digital copies of all of them.

I did some looking abt a yr ago or so. I found sw that is real slow but could work as long as I bhght a video card. You played the VHS to the card and it converted it.

Any newer and faster ways these days?

BR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 01:13 AM
Senior Shackster

bob

Send a message via AIM to bob1029 Send a message via MSN to bob1029
Re: Duplication of VHS tapes

As far as I know, the vhs tape has to be played back in real-time as it is not a digital format, so you are looking at a lengthy process with any method. The question is which one is the most convenient.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 01:44 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah... I know of no easy method with VHS tapes, not to mention almost all of my VHS tapes are hardly worth recording the video tape has degraded so much. We had a few, but we just picked our favorites and purchased DVDs. We joined clubs and looked for bargains... usually averaging only a few dollars for the majority of the VHS tapes we replaced.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 08:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

While my number of VHS tapes are much lower, I can echo Sonnie's comment. This is one of the drawbacks of fast changing technology. Plus, add in the changes in music (tape, cassette, CD) and one day you realize that you have a small outdated fortune sitting on your shelves. Fortunately, I lot of the good outdated movies do show up in the bargain bins or in bargain packs at the local stores.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 10:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

eBay’s a good way to pick up DVDs on the cheap. Just watch out for the commercial sellers who try to slaughter you on shipping.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 10:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
eBay’s a good way to pick up DVDs on the cheap.
Needless to say, but I will anyway, watch out for pirated stuff. My friend bought on e-bay what looked like a legitimate complete series of 'West Wing". The ONLY problem, on the DVD itself, it was marked "WEAT WING" . Funny in a strange way.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 11:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

My wife has every Disney VHS cartoon tape ever made. To convert them to DVD we bought a Panasonic DMR-ES35V combination VHS player/DVD recorder. Although it states it's Dual Layer compatible, you must "close" the first layer before recording on the second layer. The machine does a good job.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 11:30 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The drawback with recording to DVDr is that most do not have a long shelf life (some better than others) I have heard some last as little as 2 years. You will end up spending more on the whole process than its worth. Just go out and buy them on DVD and save yourself the time and trouble. I have a really good Sony Duel layer DVD recorder and it works great but the process is time consuming.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 9 Old 09-19-07, 02:52 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
..., I lot of the good outdated movies do show up in the bargain bins or in bargain packs at the local stores...
Yeah, that's what I always do ... look for bargains ...

But we still have some VHS that we won't find anywhere as DVD's ..... .....