Tinnitus (ears ring) subwoofers and electronics - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 31 Old 06-07-13, 09:01 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Tinnitus (ears ring) subwoofers and electronics

So does listening to movies with sub on cause tinnitus or make tinnitus worse? I have a ringing in my right ear and for now the sub is out of commission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 06-07-13, 09:04 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

I have to wear earplugs at the factory I work at, many people do and it is a good idea in that type of environment. But we have very large punch/presses pounding out formed pieces of metal, the low frequencies can be felt throughout the plant coming up from the floor. Even though we isolate the machines by sitting them atop large isolators, it still cracks the concrete. Earplugs do nothing to block those frequencies, but no one is deaf from it.

The "ringing" happens at the frequency you damaged, mostly higher frequencies, in the range of 500 Hz to 8000 Hz. You damaged those little hairs that pick up that frequency. Saying bass causes tinnitus is an audio myth, within reason, (lower than the threshold of pain) of course. You sit in an SPL Drag Race competition vehicle, there will be consequences. Explosions like artillery and grenades can blow out your eardrums with high level bass frequencies, one reason they have you open your mouth in training, to help equalize the pressure.

Enjoying home theater at sane, or even a little above sane levels, will not cave in your eardrums.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #13 of 31 Old 06-07-13, 09:50 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I have to wear earplugs at the factory I work at, many people do and it is a good idea in that type of environment. But we have very large punch/presses pounding out formed pieces of metal, the low frequencies can be felt throughout the plant coming up from the floor. Even though we isolate the machines by sitting them atop large isolators, it still cracks the concrete. Earplugs do nothing to block those frequencies, but no one is deaf from it.

The "ringing" happens at the frequency you damaged, mostly higher frequencies, in the range of 500 Hz to 8000 Hz. You damaged those little hairs that pick up that frequency. Saying bass causes tinnitus is an audio myth, within reason, (lower than the threshold of pain) of course. You sit in an SPL Drag Race competition vehicle, there will be consequences. Explosions like artillery and grenades can blow out your eardrums with high level bass frequencies, one reason they have you open your mouth in training, to help equalize the pressure.

Enjoying home theater at sane, or even a little above sane levels, will not cave in your eardrums.
I'm going to see an ENT in two weeks

post #14 of 31 Old 06-20-13, 03:38 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Well I saw the ENT and he said I have normal to mild hearing loss. Since it is borderline he is not sure if the tinnitus is because of the loss. He placed me on high doses of steroids for 2 weeks in case a viral infection caused this and hope it will get better. He also ordered an MRI to rule out other issues like a tumor.
I don't use my sub for movies anymore I am afraid to lose more hearing and make the tinnitus worse. I can calibrate to 75db but the sub will have spl spikes higher than that from time to time. I am not sure if there is a correlation or not but I have the sub for a year and now I have this so not sure if sub is the culprit.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-20-13, 07:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Well I saw the ENT and he said I have normal to mild hearing loss. Since it is borderline he is not sure if the tinnitus is because of the loss. He placed me on high doses of steroids for 2 weeks in case a viral infection caused this and hope it will get better. He also ordered an MRI to rule out other issues like a tumor.
I don't use my sub for movies anymore I am afraid to lose more hearing and make the tinnitus worse. I can calibrate to 75db but the sub will have spl spikes higher than that from time to time. I am not sure if there is a correlation or not but I have the sub for a year and now I have this so not sure if sub is the culprit.
Hopefully everything will be fine and you can go back to enjoy your sub! It looks like you have in ceiling speakers how do they sound without a sub?
post #16 of 31 Old 06-20-13, 08:11 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post

Hopefully everything will be fine and you can go back to enjoy your sub! It looks like you have in ceiling speakers how do they sound without a sub?
I hope so. The speakers sound nice but without sub its not the same effect.

Last edited by asere; 06-22-13 at 10:50 PM.
post #17 of 31 Old 06-23-13, 09:16 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Today I went ahead and turned the sub on but lower this time and watched The Standup Guys. I can't let the tinnitus take over what I enjoy. This time just be more careful. I am going to get custom made ear plugs to wear like at noisy places just to prevent further damage.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-24-13, 03:11 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

I'm sorry you are still having trouble, asere.

Is the sub the root cause, and will earplugs be enough to stop those long wavelengths if it is?

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #19 of 31 Old 06-24-13, 03:20 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I'm sorry you are still having trouble, asere.

Is the sub the root cause, and will earplugs be enough to stop those long wavelengths if it is?
I don't know if the sub can cause damage with the long wavelenghts. I was planning on using the ear plugs like at a noisy restaurant etc.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-07-13, 09:53 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Well I watched a movie with sub on and this time with an spl meter next to me to see if the spikes were huge. Turns out watching at moderate volume the spl stayed below 80db the entire time. This was while watching A Good Day to Die Hard.