Tinnitus (ears ring) subwoofers and electronics - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 11:13 AM
bbphd
Inactive

Tinnitus (ears ring) subwoofers and electronics

I remember a long time ago reading a post somewhere about a guy who's ears would ring after listening to his system. A lot of responders said he was listening too loud, but he said it wasn't very loud.

I was having the same problem. Tried all kinds of changes to the system and room. Subwoofers seem to make it worse (although I tried some very tight high-end ones).

Finally it has turned out that I have classic 'electrical sensitivity' and it has gotten a lot worse. It did get better when I started avoiding all AC magnetic fields and microwave exposure (including cell phones and cordless phones, wi-fi, etc). I can't tolerate dimmer switches or fluorescent lights. I no longer listen to recorded music, even though I would love to.

Subwoofers are not generally video shielded, so they put out a big magnetic field with frequencies overlapping human EEG (brain waves). A lot of high end gear throws out all kinds of 60 Hz and RF interference. I suspect that low-power gear, if well designed would be better, but for now I've given up on what used to be a fun hobby. I may try one of the pocket LED projectors but even the LED lit LCD screens put out too much RFI for me to be in the room and not react.

Unfortunately science has not caught up with this problem (although I'm a Ph.D. physics researcher). I'm sure when it does the high end equipment will boast about how low the RFI they put out is, and give specs. Until then, beware of becoming a gear head; also everyone should be aware that circuit boards and plastic cases emit fumes and shed dust containing neurotoxic flame retardants.

Anyone have a good Victorola for sale?

Bill :raped:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 11:16 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Re: Tinnitus (ears ring) subwoofers and electronics

Hi Bill,

I have tinnitus, but I've never related it as being caused by EMI. How long do I have to be in the mountains before it goes away?

-- Otto
post #3 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 11:29 AM
bbphd
Inactive

Not all tinnitus is cause by RFI. There is often a delayed reaction, as you imply.
For me I'm usually much improved after 2 days of no exposure. Unfortunately most mountains now have microwave towers. Try a secluded valley. Also, try sleeping with the electricity off for two nights. Unfortunately there's a good chance that of finding many frequencies of ground currents almost anywhere that's on the grid.

It's kind of a long haul but probably the place to start is with a gauss meter
from AlphaLabs or LessEMF.com. The new bioInitiative.org report says we
should all be living at less that 1 milligauss AC field, and probably few of us are.
My personal goal is .02 milligauss (AlphaLabs can add on a 100x probe).
Also, get some kind of microwave detector and try to stay below bioinititiave's
recommended 650 mV/m.
Again my goal is lower: 10 mV/m for sleeping.

You can also use cheap a portable AM radio to look for broadband sources of
RFI, like keyboards, etc.

post #4 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 01:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

My tinnitus got seriously bad a few years back, probably 4-5 years ago. For some reason, since then it is not nearly as bad. Although as I sit here and type, I can hear a mild ringing.

When it was really bad there would be a point when I listened to heavy bass, I would hear a weird noise in my ears with the beat... like distortion. The louder I turned it up, the less I noticed it. That doesn't bother like it use to though.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 02:42 PM
MikeF
Inactive

Low frequencies are the worse for your ears, so it's likely that if you listen with a sub you'll damage your ears more than if you listen without one.
Trimetazidine (Vastarel) can help a bit, but it's no miracle.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 02:57 PM
PJKSED
Inactive

I have an issue with very high pitches, and ringing in one ear. the lows don't bother me.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 03:23 PM
MikeF
Inactive

But the cells that transduce high frequencies are the most sensitive, and most likely to be damaged by sound with an high low frequency content.
The cells that transduce low frequency are far less affected, even really old persons can hear to low frequencies.
So, it's the lows that make you deaf to the highs...
post #8 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 07:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Jay

Ringing constantly unless I am very occupied in doing something, gets worse with loud constant noise often driving a car at high speeds, and clicking from the impulse of low sounds is part of my life. Left ear is worse, which just so happens to correspond with the ear with the worst hearing loss. I'm getting used to it.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-23-07, 07:41 PM
wood
Inactive

when i say push these speakers i mean get the best results out of these speakers as in sound quality
post #10 of 31 Old 10-24-07, 12:39 PM
Shackster
Royce

Older folks and others with hearing impairment hear bass frequencies better than high ones as much because lows are transmitted by the bony structures of the skull as they are emphasized due to atrophy of high-frequency hearing. IMHO, I don't think low frequency noise is more damaging. Loud sounds, whether high- or low-frequency, are probably equally damaging. It's just that our hearing is somewhat less sensitive to low frequencies, so given equally loud low and high frequency noise, we are less likely to react adversely (cover our ears, use ear protection, etc.) to the low frequency sound. Of course, a truly loud low-freq sound will cause that reaction, but a high-freq sound will do it at much lower levels.

---Royce---
"I never drink...wine..." Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931