How to buy used gear ??? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 11-10-13, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
How to buy used gear ???

So let's say another member posts something for sale in the HTS classifieds that you might be interested in purchasing.
Let's say this member is not Sonnie.
Since it's probably not the best idea to just send someone $1000 how does one go about protecting themselves?
Is this just something you have to have faith in the seller carrying through or are there ways to minimize the risk?
Is PayPal the best way to make payment?
If PayPal is not an option for the seller, is a personal check the way to go?
I have never purchased from a private seller that was not a face to face transaction before so I am just looking for feedback from some of you who do some buying/selling and depend on the remote party to carry through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-10-13, 09:22 AM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System
Re: How to buy used gear ???

I think PayPal is said to protect the buyer more than the seller, but it at least has a solid electronic paper trail. Signature required delivery helps with documentation for the seller. Using a fraud protected credit card through your paypal account is a good idea. Transactions between both Verified buyer and seller are a must for me too, and more than a couple of posts on the forum, several years if membership, and a good rep are safeguards.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-10-13, 09:33 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Buying used is a gamble, every time. Warranties are seldom carried forward so you are generally on your own. This is why prices are lower. You have to look at what your getting vs getting it fixed & arrive at a fair price. You also have to operate a bit on faith that the seller is being honest. Is the person a member in good standing or someone new that is here for the sale? I have read posts re this situation where a buyer was not satisfied after a purchase. There was really nothing the Shack can do since these are private matters. Sonnie may chime in with some advice. You can always specify some stipulations with the sale, but we all know enforcing contracts is pretty useless in the long run. So be careful. I would recommend A4less for used gear for just these reasons. Factory refurbished & a 5 year warranty for $50.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-10-13, 11:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Though probably not the wisest choice I have always used the honor system. I'm 43 years old and have yet to be burned. Made a deal with Tony (Tonyvdb) for an extra center channel I had and after he confirmed that he wanted it off it went to Canada the next day. Maybe trusting in a complete stranger isn't the best of practices but like I said I've yet to be burned. To me a handshake between men should be as good as a contract. If you give someone your word that defines who you are as a person.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-10-13, 11:37 AM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

I use paypal for just that reason and paypal protects buyer and sellers equally , new sellers there is not much you can do but take a leap of faith if you can't use paypal or credit cards which I personally stay away from to much risk , regular sellers once that sell often or on auction sits you can look at there history and see how many satisfied buyers they have . the best advise I can give is do your homework check there background and as always buyer be ware
post #6 of 16 Old 11-10-13, 01:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Agreed, PayPal is a very safe way to send money. At least your protected. When I bought the speaker from Jeff I had to trust he would send it and that it was in the condition he said as much as he had to trust I would send him the money.

Local sale is better because at least you take the shipping out of the equation but even then you can get scammed

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 16 Old 11-11-13, 02:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Agreed, PayPal is a very safe way to send money. At least your protected. When I bought the speaker from Jeff I had to trust he would send it and that it was in the condition he said as much as he had to trust I would send him the money.

Local sale is better because at least you take the shipping out of the equation but even then you can get scammed
Hello,
It pains me that it has been so long since writing this, but I completely agree with Tony. While I have listed and purchased a myriad of things from Audiogon, et al, I have only sold things that have been shipped and even then I was literally paid above listing both times I have shipped something due to my aversion.

I would not be reticent to purchase something listed in the classifieds here provided it was not a new member whose first two posts were trying to sell me Air Jordan's or how I can earn $69.46 per hour working out my home...
Best,
Jack

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #8 of 16 Old 11-11-13, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Thanks to all for the feedback.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-13-13, 02:33 AM

You have to look at what your getting vs getting it fixed & arrive at a fair price. You also have to operate a bit on faith that the seller is being honest.
BTW,Local sale is better because at least you take the shipping out of the equation but even then you can get scammed.

Last edited by hultngarro; 11-13-13 at 02:39 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-13-13, 03:40 PM
Shackster

My System

I have bought and sold quite a few things via Paypal. I know for the computer world there is a review site called Heatware which provides a forum to express satisfaction or dissatisfaction with a transaction.