W.A.F. The dreaded Wife Acceptence Factor??? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 57 Old 04-20-14, 12:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System
Re: W.A.F. The dreaded Wife Acceptence Factor???

Quote:
rawsawhd wrote: View Post
168"!!!!!! You know I hate you already... lol
+1 (says the bloke who cannot accommodate more than 92")

Ron, if I may take this off-topic for a sec, of what car is that an engine bay photo? It's too small for me to tell. If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

'08 S2000 CR #349
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 04-20-14, 01:24 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
+1 (says the bloke who cannot accommodate more than 92")

Ron, if I may take this off-topic for a sec, of what car is that an engine bay photo? It's too small for me to tell. If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

'08 S2000 CR #349
Nice S2k! Here is a link to my old 2003 RSX type S with a TSX K24 (no longer have it)... http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f...ra_rsx_type_s/

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #33 of 57 Old 04-20-14, 02:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Ooh, that RSX was/is awesome - really nice build!

Speaking of cars which we no longer have, here's one more engine bay shot. This was a fun project - what started as a 240SX was converted to a 180SX (SR20DET engine, etc. - everything except RHD), then we crammed a built LS1 engine in the thing. It was definitely a beast and a blast to drive - ate 'Vettes (and rear tires) for lunch.

post #34 of 57 Old 04-20-14, 05:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
BeeMan458 wrote: View Post
According to Wiki, "Wife Appeal Factor." Either which way, the wife wins.

As in "I am sorry, you are right." The key to a successful marriage.
post #35 of 57 Old 04-21-14, 10:01 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
As in "I am sorry, you are right." The key to a successful marriage.
I don't think that's necessary for a successful marriage. I'm the one who was getting up every morning at 5:00AM to hustle off to work 12-15 hours a day, then spend countless 'weekends' repairing various things I had to drag home. I think I earned the right to decide where some of the money goes and I was upfront about the fact that a 'nice' stereo system would always be a feature of the place I called home. I hide nothing and I'm apologetic about nothing. She's okay with it. She has her goodies too.

Just in case anyone was unaware of this fact, there is a neuro-chemical basis of addiction to music. Music, at least to some people, is literally a drug. I'm a junkie; I can't help myself.
post #36 of 57 Old 04-21-14, 10:49 AM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
She has her goodies too. :;
And half the money. There are seven and a half billion people on the Earth, I have but one I "have" to say I'm sorry to. I can do this. In the meantime, my wife is good with my "home theater" hobby as she knows how much camera gear is and I've shown her how much a new Yamaha 225HP outboard is.

This is how we both see it, here are the choices honey, We go to movie theaters where there's little to no control regarding content. And in the process, deal with all the nonsense; pricing, bad service and popcorn. We can sit at home and deal with commercial broadcast television and go crazy or, we can enjoy a quite, commercial free evening with a home theater system that's paid for.

Last nights movie was "Inception."

Last edited by BeeMan458; 04-21-14 at 11:16 AM.
post #37 of 57 Old 04-21-14, 11:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Alan

No doubt about it, the judicious enjoyment of beauty and pleasure has real psycho-physical benefits for mind and body health. What we each find enjoyable and inspirational will vary. Hobbies can be profoundly therapeutic. There is a proper balance to all things in life. There is adventure in discovery of that balance. Companionship offers an objective perspective on that journey of discovery.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

"For a mechanic you sure do an excessive amount of thinking." C3PO to R2D2 in 'Star Wars: Episode II- Attack Of The Clones'
post #38 of 57 Old 04-21-14, 11:41 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but you know that.

Many of us kid about WAF issues but are fortunate to have relationships like yours with honesty, communication, openness, sharing, and appreciation. I am fortunate to include myself in that group.

Cheers!
post #39 of 57 Old 04-21-14, 12:57 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but you know that.
Cheers!
Many moons ago, back in 55-57, we lived on Otoe street in Lincoln.

(the bad, Dad had a B-47 go out from under him and crew in 57.....he was SAC)

We moved to Fresno so now, instead of growing up saying Cornhuskers, little Bulldogs come out of me when I get cut.

post #40 of 57 Old 04-26-14, 08:44 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

I may have used a bit of psychology, but it seems to have worked out. I did my research, narrowed down my list and basically knew what I wanted. This was my call, with the caveat that ours too could not look like a "spaceship."

I took her to the local electronics shop and showed her the biggest Kefs they had in the showroom floor - Q900's. They weren't "too too big" and she was sort of accepting of it, although the $2,000/pr pricing had her concerned, given I had planned and talked to her about a 7.2 setup.

Then I took her to a high-end shop and showed her the Martin Logan EM-ESL speakers. Needless to say, these were much more "space ship" and even higher priced. She didn't say a lot, but I could tell she was worried.

Next stop - new dishwasher. She had been complaining about ours for months - wasn't getting things clean as much as "wet." Got the fancy-schmancy one - stainless steel, 103 jets, super quiet, all that...

Then I bought the RSL Speakers 9.2 rig (they're 7.1 system plus their 2.1 "Studio Monitor System" giving me double-driven LCRs and single-driver surrounds all around. Basically came to $4000 for the speakers. $1100 for the receiver. Another $300 for wires, cables and mounts. Much less than the Martin Logan rig would have been, even with the dishwasher's cost.

7.1 Surround system: http://rslspeakers.com/store/rsl-7-1...system-36.html

2.1 Studio Monitors: http://rslspeakers.com/store/stereo-...or-system.html

She was so relieved she actually installed them for me (all wall mounted) - I took that as a good sign.

Anyway - we are both happy and "Family Movie Night" is one of our favourite pastimes! I'll take that For The Win!

I felt pretty good at the end of it. Got a great setup, powered by the TX-NR929. Next purchase will be a new Blu-ray player (don't have the Oppo yet, but the BDP-103D is next!) Sent from my iPhone using HTShack