W.A.F. The dreaded Wife Acceptence Factor??? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

W.A.F. The dreaded Wife Acceptence Factor???

Not really sure where to post this so Mods feel free to move it where it belongs..

I'm curious as to all your experiences when it comes to the WAF of your purchases...

I was with my X for 17yrs. High school sweethearts. From the beginning she knew what she was getting into with me and my love affair of movies and music. I think I was 18 and for my birthday I had her get me a Pioneer receiver. Straight up surround sound. Left, right and pair of rears. It was heaven at the time. Well as the years went on and we grew up, bills got bigger, had a daughter, bought a few cars, a house,,,, not much left in the old budget for equipment. BUT that never stopped me!!!!! You can bet every year I'd sneak in a new purchase or two. I'd buy things I didnt really need but had to have. You all know how it is. The speakers would get bigger. The subs more powerful. THX what? DTS who?! Whats this new dvd thing???? I just gotta have Blu-ray!!!! She'd let her thoughts be known. A few times I'd be sleeping on the couch. I was such good friends with one of my local AV stores managers that I use to just go up and hangout with them, talk to customers and the such. I once had them write up a fake receipt for a subwoofer I bought. To this day my X still thinks I paid $349 for a brand new Definitive PF1500!!! lol.... But in the end when the weekend would come and we'd sit down for a movie, she loved it as much as I. I'm still friend with her today and sometimes she'll call me up for advice on what to buy with her new husband. And I'm more then happy to help....

The woman I see now is much younger then I (26 to my 43) and she's a big tech nerd and I love her. She'd much rather sit home on a Friday and watch movies then go to a club. She puts up with me for hours on end watching YouTube videos on subwoofer, speakers, and amps. Her birthday was last month, I was gonna get her a new Xbox 1... You know what she told me??? "I dont need that now, the 360 is fine. Lets get that projector for the house instead!".... She's a Keeper!!!!

So anyway, I'm just wondering about your significant others? How they deal with our addiction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 01:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

That's a keeper!

In my life budget is the most notable factor in my system. I've been lucky enough to work I'm the industry and get discounts accordingly. Still it's a matter of scraping and saving. My wife's in law school and with one income I'm limited.

In general she's tolerant of my hobby and we have an agreement. "The living room can't look like a spaceship" that means equipment needs to be hidden and speakers need to match a certain esthetic. The one compromise she made was for my electrostatics. They look out of place to be sure but we got a custom wood for the cabinets so it's not too bad.
post #3 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: W.A.F. The dreaded Wife Acceptence Factor???

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
That's a keeper!

In my life budget is the most notable factor in my system. I've been lucky enough to work I'm the industry and get discounts accordingly. Still it's a matter of scraping and saving. My wife's in law school and with one income I'm limited.

In general she's tolerant of my hobby and we have an agreement. "The living room can't look like a spaceship" that means equipment needs to be hidden and speakers need to match a certain esthetic. The one compromise she made was for my electrostatics. They look out of place to be sure but we got a custom wood for the cabinets so it's not too bad.
Budget is Always a factor but we always find a way! lol... Yea, women are tough. Its why we need our 'mancaves'. We're not buying shoes and purses. We probably dont spend much on ourselves outside of the equipment, which basically benefits the whole household. They dont get it.... We come home and our wives have plants put on our speakers (I had a nice water stain on my mains from my X). Ever since my divorce I have a new outlook. This is me, this is how I am, you have to accept it... I'll never change. lol

post #4 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 02:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Man cave... Once I'm out of apartment living a dedicated space will be mine. I've got crazy plans for any house I'm in. The more I learn about how much home automation is taking off the bigger my plans get.

I'm fully expecting to run way more data cables than I need when we do get a house. Even more if I end up building.

I've been to too many homes that skimped on prewire only to get hit with higher budgets to accomplish goals later.
post #5 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
Man cave... Once I'm out of apartment living a dedicated space will be mine. I've got crazy plans for any house I'm in. The more I learn about how much home automation is taking off the bigger my plans get.

I'm fully expecting to run way more data cables than I need when we do get a house. Even more if I end up building.

I've been to too many homes that skimped on prewire only to get hit with higher budgets to accomplish goals later.
I hear ya brother. If I was building a new house I'd do the same. I have an OLD house and its a pain in the "keister" to be fishing lines though walls with plaster and lathe.
post #6 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 02:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
My wife purchased my SVS sub for our living room theater. I still remember that night.
post #7 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
My wife purchased my SVS sub for our living room theater. I still remember that night.
Thats true love you have there.
post #8 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 02:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
rawsawhd wrote: View Post
Thats true love you have there.
Yes sir it is!
post #9 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 04:54 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
To celebrate her promotion you should buy her one too
post #10 of 57 Old 04-19-14, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
To celebrate her promotion you should buy her one too
Best quote ever!!