Which new piece of equipment has exceeded your expectations? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 111 Old 01-15-08, 02:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Re: Which new piece of equipment has exceeded your expectations?

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
no more calls at work "I can't get the DVD to work, the kids want to watch a movie. We can hear it but not see it" and many similar conversations.
I've had a few of those calls. I still do if my wife lets my 2 year roam and explore all the buttons he so likes to push
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 111 Old 02-28-08, 10:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Replacing our 1991 JVC 26" analog TV w/ a 2006 27" JVC DTV was , crystal clear picture and 5.1 audio out to SS Receiver was and still is mind numbing.

hyghwayman

P.S. Moving up to HDTV (Sony KD-34XBR970) wasn't as big of a change that from analog to DTV, but 34"s of widescreen is very cool.
post #23 of 111 Old 02-28-08, 11:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Steve

Two things for me, Polk LSI 15 speakers and my new Emotiva LPA-1 amp. Got the speakers before the amp arrived and listened to them with the old HK receiver. When the amp got here and hooked it up the speakers really came alive.

post #24 of 111 Old 02-29-08, 10:01 AM
Shackster
Maikel

Quote:
warpdrive wrote: View Post
What piece of equipment did you buy that makes you go Wow?
My Panasonic PT-AE2000 projector with C4H.com tuning!
Keeps getting WOW's after over 100 hour watching.

Maikel
post #25 of 111 Old 03-02-08, 03:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Instal

I have two displays, a 37" LCD and a Z5 projector. I found that I often wanted to switch one of my many sources from one display to the other. After a fair amount of research I discovered the Impact Acoustics Matrix Switcher. It performs exactly the way I expected it to. I was concerned that it would add noise or imperfections to the picture but it works flawlessly. All other matrix switchers that I looked at were much more expensive which gave me concern that this unit may be of substandard quality. Such is not the case. 9 out of 10 from me.
post #26 of 111 Old 04-08-08, 08:51 AM
mddbb
Inactive

I went from a rear projection tv to a 42" plasma and what a difference. I sold my old rear projection to a friend, and every time I go to his house it seems like I'm watching an old black and white tv.
post #27 of 111 Old 04-08-08, 04:31 PM
superchad

My top pick is listed below but overall for allowing the entire education of this hobby how about a nod to the home computer and internet?.......where would we all be without sites like this, Audiogon, Ebay and the general ability to educate ourselves on most any topic thanks to Google and the like, but I digress.

Installing gear into and tuning a dedicted room is better than any single peice of gear IMO. While gear will come and go, get out-dated quickly or maybe you just get an itch to try something diiferent that is all hampered if you dont have a good accoustic dedicated space. We all have been thrilled with gear, some of us for years......I remember how much I loved my brand new state of the art Laser Disc player, then the game units got better and better next came DVD and you guys know the rest but mostly these are short lived thrills that just fade into your system in time....but the room thrills and enhances everything you place in it...things we have yet to discover!
post #28 of 111 Old 04-09-08, 10:20 AM
Shackster
Maikel

Quote:
mddbb wrote: View Post
I went from a rear projection tv to a 42" plasma and what a difference. I sold my old rear projection to a friend, and every time I go to his house it seems like I'm watching an old black and white tv.
Interestingly, I had a similar experience when seeing Panasonic's "largest in the world" plasma screen at a nearby shop. My front projection set up at home (panasonic pt-ae2000) produces an image of equal size but with unnoticable pixelation (even at short distances up to 1 meter), and no flickering with bright pictures.
post #29 of 111 Old 04-09-08, 04:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My Samsung TXT3093 30" slim fit tube television and Samsung DVD-1080P7 up convert DVD player that we recieved as a wedding present. I absolutly love the picture on this TV. HD over the air and DVDs are great.
I didn't want any of the plasmas or LCDs that were in my parents price range beacuse they have a smaller screen and in my opinion no were near as nice of a picture as this tv has.
post #30 of 111 Old 04-09-08, 08:06 PM
Shackster
Steve

I would have to say the Channel Islands Audio VDA 2 DAC was way beyond my expectations. It's a great DAC and in my opinion was a much better decision than a new CD player because I run my DVD player and CD player through it. This DAC sounds incredible and the build quality is exceptional given it's modest $599 price. I liked it better than the Benchmark DAC 1 which I spent some time with on two separate occasions. The price to performance ratio is off the chart.

Equally as impressive but not quite as high on the bang for the buck scale is my new REL R-305 sub. I'm strictly two channel but play DVDs and cable through the system and this sub does not dissappoint. This sub sounds better than any 10" sub has a right to. It replaced a Velodyne HGS 10 which was no slouch. As good as the HGS was it did not have the pitch definition that the REL does. It sounds bigger and deeper than the HGS especially at lower volumes, and although it won't play as loud it's a good trade off in my room.

Both great products and highly recommended, the CI DAC has a 30 day audition period and I would suggest trying the REL in home as it may not be for everyone.