catch words and your definition. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 11:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: catch words and your definition.

Transparency: To me this is a measure of distortion and how separated each instrument or sound is kept. The ability to hear deep into the recording (not in the same way as imaging)

Soundstage: I think everyone basically summed this one up for me. Channel seperation, imaging, placement of instruments, a sense of space and room size in the recording.

Detail: This should be a descriptor of a clean speaker with a flat frequency response, but sometimes I think that a elevated FR in certain ranges can cause a perception of increased "detail". Hearing a bass player touch his fingers to the strings, or a vocalists in-between breaths. Things that lesser systems will lose in the mix.

Speed: Even though I think that this is a silly descriptive term, I would equate it with how well a system tracks dynamic changes, and with a lack of resonances/reflections. Maybe the phase relationships between drivers or of the system as a whole would contribute something?

What about airy?

Some words I do like are: neutral, effortless, veiled and punch, or slam. Also girthatude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Quote:
Some words I do like are: neutral, effortless, veiled and punch, or slam. Also girthatude.
Veiled? as in behind a curtain? mayber slightly muffled? and girthatude must be surroundability?

I tried to summerise a little bit but as I read over everyones posts it seems we can take the definitions for some words and apply them to others. For example: detail and transparency have overlaping definitions as do soundstage and transparency. By extrapolation then detail and soundstage also have overlaping definitions.

This is great experiment in defining objectivety for a subjective observation.

It's no wonder there are debates over the best design principles and topologies.

please keep them coming:
post #13 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 04:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

Hello,

The best answer is : Listen to "The ultimate demonstration disk" from chesky records:

TRACK LISTING
1.Welcome To The Ultimate Demonstration Disc
2.High Resolution-Introduction
3.Spanish Harlem
4.Depth-Introduction
5.If I Could Sing Your Blues
6.Atmosphere-Introduction
7.Maiden Voyage
8.Midrange Purity-Introduction
9.Grandma's Hands
10.Naturalness-Introduction
11.Correnteza
12.Transparency-Introduction
13.Played Twice
14.Presence-Introduction
15.Ask Me Now
16.Visceral Impact-Introduction
17.Sweet Georgia Brown
18.Rhythm & Pace-Introduction
19.I Love Paris
20.Focus-Introduction
21.Flute Concerto in D
22.Holographic Imaging-Introduction
23.Festival Te Deum
24.Transients-Introduction
25.The Royal March
26.Bass Resonance-Introduction
27.Best Of Chesky Jazz and More Audiophile Tests, Volume 2
28.Dynamic Test-Introduction
29.Best Of Chesky Jazz and More Audiophile Tests, Volume 2
30.Final Announcement
Attachments

Jean-Pierre Imbeau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 04:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Isn't this interesting..And here I thought everyone interpreted these terms the same as I did!!
Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Transparency: To me this is a measure of distortion and how separated each instrument or sound is kept. The ability to hear deep into the recording (not in the same way as imaging)
Since my early days of listening to stereo music..I've interpreted transparency in the same way that you have..

Soundstage to me means that a sound image of individual instruments can be heard right across the screen and beyond..

Quote:
"detail". Hearing a bass player touch his fingers to the strings, or a vocalists in-between breaths. Things that lesser systems will lose in the mix.
Totally agree..

Quote:
Speed: Even though I think that this is a silly descriptive term, I would equate it with how well a system tracks dynamic changes, and with a lack of resonances/reflections. Maybe the phase relationships between drivers or of the system as a whole would contribute something?
My understanding of this term also..
post #15 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Thanks imbeaujp,

I am assuming the following tracks are basically this discs defintion for the correspnding title.

TRACK LISTING

2.High Resolution-Introduction

4.Depth-Introduction

6.Atmosphere-Introduction

8.Midrange Purity-Introduction

10.Naturalness-Introduction

12.Transparency-Introduction

14.Presence-Introduction

16.Visceral Impact-Introduction

18.Rhythm & Pace-Introduction

20.Focus-Introduction

22.Holographic Imaging-Introduction

24.Transients-Introduction

26.Bass Resonance-Introduction

28.Dynamic Test-Introduction

As I don't have this disc could anyone who does please post what its definitions are for these titles?

It will be interesting to know if they are similar to the general concensus here on the shack.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 05:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

I will listen to the CD tonight and will post the definition tomorrow.

JP

Jean-Pierre Imbeau

post #17 of 21 Old 01-09-08, 11:48 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Transparency is the state of being transparent. When I think of transparent, I think of something I can see through... as if it were not there, hence the speakers disappear... they are not locatable. Air is transparent, right?

Synonyms for transparency are clearness, lucidity and precision... therefore, I see how some could see transparency as referring to clarity and accuracy.

IMO, it makes sense to describe a speaker that is neutral and uncolored as "accurate" and a speaker that disappears into a room and is non-locatable as being "transparent"... similar to a subwoofer being non-localized and omni-directional. HOWEVER... in order for a speaker to be truly transparent and disappear, I think a large broad sound stage is necessary. A small narrow sound stage would cause you to be able to tell where the speakers are located.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-10-08, 02:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
A small narrow sound stage would cause you to be able to tell where the speakers are located.
Not nescessarily, Sonnie. Like I said in a previous post, I can have sound that comes from the exact spot my speakers are located, but can't hear the sound coming from the box itself, not even when looking at it and trying. That's transparency to me.
I guess if the SYSTEM itself is incapable of a broad and transparent soundstage then it doesn't matter how good the recording is, you will be able to locate the speakers. Then it would be the system that has a narrow and small soundstage, not the recording.

Or did I misunderstand your post?

post #19 of 21 Old 01-10-08, 02:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
drf wrote: View Post
Veiled? as in behind a curtain? mayber slightly muffled? and girthatude must be surroundability?
:
girthatude is a term one of my bands always throws around. We use it to describe different sounds or bands. It is when something is really big, heavy or massive in some aspect. Klipschorns have it because they are physically large and heavy. You could also say that a little set of bookshelves that throw up a huge soundstage have it though.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-10-08, 02:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Isn't this interesting..And here I thought everyone interpreted these terms the same as I did!!
Since my early days of listening to stereo music..I've interpreted transparency in the same way that you have..

Soundstage to me means that a sound image of individual instruments can be heard right across the screen and beyond..

Totally agree..

My understanding of this term also..
I see that I'm not alone then!