The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Ten Biggest Audio Lies: Agree or Disagree (If you disagree, you must explain why!) Votes are public!
I agree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 131 44.26%
I disagree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 11 3.72%
1. The Cable Lie: Agree 106 35.81%
1. The Cable Lie: Disagree 37 12.50%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Agree 55 18.58%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Disagree 61 20.61%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Agree 70 23.65%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Disagree 43 14.53%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Agree 79 26.69%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Disagree 34 11.49%
5. The Feedback Lie: Agree 72 24.32%
5. The Feedback Lie: Disagree 29 9.80%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Agree 85 28.72%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Disagree 37 12.50%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Agree 78 26.35%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Disagree 34 11.49%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Agree 76 25.68%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Disagree 41 13.85%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Agree 94 31.76%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Disagree 25 8.45%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Agree 81 27.36%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Disagree 31 10.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

post #111 of 287 Old 09-15-10, 09:46 PM
Shackster

Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

Huh?
I didn't understand the point to any of that.
Maybe after I get some sleep it'll make sense. Today 10:06 PM

Sorry gdstupak...

Some speakers by JBL are not THX qualified. Dr. Toole and his engineering staff personally got a belly laugh out of this and in front of all of us. THX- two guys from Berkley; did not give certain JBL speakers a "THX" rating...hahahaha....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 287 Old 09-16-10, 01:43 PM
Shackster

Great article and mirrors a lot of what I've been telling people for 30 years. I did, however, disagree a slight bit with #8, the power conditioner lie. And yes, I see he mentioned it was more for computer equipment than well designed audio equipment.

The audio equipment I have runs on 60 Hz 120 Volt AC service supplied by my electric Co-Op. I don't worry about that part at all. I do live on a 900 foot mountain, which receives more than it's share of lightning strikes, and trucks hitting poles, dropping transformers to the ground. Either of those events can cause a severely high instantaneous event of voltage, current, or even high frequency in the event of lightning. I've lost equipment from low tech freezers and washing machines, up to a rather high tech network analyzer, from events that merely made the lights blink.

I am a firm beleiver in having some lumped impedances (read 'RF filter') as well as high voltage limiters such as MOVs and gas discharge tubes in power distribution ahead of sensitive equipment. I would rather have a cheaper device fail before my expensive ones.

I CERTAINLY do not advocate esoteric power conditioners that promise voodoo-like qualities, merely something that is good at passing 60 Hz, and not so good at passing other frequencies. It should, at least offer some over-voltage protection.

I am not selling anything, so this is not a lie, but merely an opinion. The Ten Biggest Lies are really tools used to attempt to close a sale.

Carl
post #113 of 287 Old 09-16-10, 02:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
torceador wrote: View Post
I am a firm beleiver in having some lumped impedances (read 'RF filter') as well as high voltage limiters such as MOVs and gas discharge tubes in power distribution ahead of sensitive equipment. I would rather have a cheaper device fail before my expensive ones.

I CERTAINLY do not advocate esoteric power conditioners that promise voodoo-like qualities, merely something that is good at passing 60 Hz, and not so good at passing other frequencies. It should, at least offer some over-voltage protection.
Hi Carl, in general I agree with what you are saying and the point is important, but MOVs and GDTs are protection not conditioning. Everyone should have these installed, preferably at the switchboard/meter board/point of entrance of supply to the building as close to the main earth as possible and possibly some plug in devices near the equipment as a second layer of protection.

Installing something generic and industrial looking in the meter board does not give any audiophile kudos however, compared to a shiny thing with lights in your rack. But it's generally cheaper and far more effective.

RF filtering is only really useful at the point of entrance to the device's enclosure; putting it in one device that connects to another via a cable is fairly pointless. Good to have, but except in extreme circumstances, eg living next to a powerful transmitter, I'm yet to be convinced they make a scad of difference. Most mains borne pollution is low in frequency and well under the point of effectiveness of RF filters, typically under a few kHz.

post #114 of 287 Old 09-16-10, 03:02 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Quote:
torceador wrote: View Post
I did, however, disagree a slight bit with #8, the power conditioner lie.
Carl
I think it's more in relation to the claim that a power conditioner will make the system sound better and the more expensive and fancy the power conditioner the better things will get.

I totally agree that surge/spike protection is important to protect your investment. I know where I work, when ever we have a power failure or brown out our helpdesk gets a flood of tickets related to blown power supplies. Of course the power supplies in a lot of computers are cheap chinese made units.
post #115 of 287 Old 09-27-10, 12:08 PM
Shackster

The HDMI lie astounds me the most I mean $1000 for a foot of Diamond Audioquest HDMI cable? I think it all looks the same to me.
post #116 of 287 Old 03-09-11, 01:08 PM
Kral

I can't find the document that defines the lies. I clicked on the attachment, but it contains a connection diagram.
post #117 of 287 Old 03-24-11, 02:31 PM
Shackster

pete

Okay, the burn in lie is real for speakers -IMO.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that notices a brand new speaker driver does sound different than when it has played a few hours. You'd have to be deaf not to hear that. And yes, this is more an issue with some drivers than others. Drivers with very stiff suspension systems tend to be worse for this.

New drivers even measure a bit different too. So not sure that one belongs on the list... let the flaming remarks begin.
post #118 of 287 Old 03-24-11, 09:09 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

There will be no flaming here. You should know that by now.

If you have measurements that support your beliefs, that is very much encouraged. Otherwise, I tend to agree that there can be changes in suspensions, therefore resonant frequency of a driver. The changes are likely small. I have never been able to document them. I can recall in the early days of foam surrounds several vendors cautioned us about storing speakers in hot warehouses for long periods of time without rotating then because of the sag that occurred in the surrounds.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #119 of 287 Old 03-24-11, 11:43 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
peterselby7 wrote: View Post
Okay, the burn in lie is real for speakers -IMO.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that notices a brand new speaker driver does sound different than when it has played a few hours. You'd have to be deaf not to hear that. And yes, this is more an issue with some drivers than others. Drivers with very stiff suspension systems tend to be worse for this.

New drivers even measure a bit different too. So not sure that one belongs on the list... let the flaming remarks begin.
OK my flame is that your reading comprehension is poor. Sorry, don't worry about it.

The article clearly states that there is validity to break-in of mechanical systems such as loudspeakers. The lie refers burn in of electrical components such as capacitors, resistors, etc.

There is an article on audioholics that clearly shows break-in of suspension causes differences in behavior. Not many people debate this, just how audible it may be.

Last edited by vann_d; 03-24-11 at 11:50 PM.
post #120 of 287 Old 03-25-11, 04:37 PM
Shackster

pete

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
OK my flame is that your reading comprehension is poor. Sorry, don't worry about it.

The article clearly states that there is validity to break-in of mechanical systems such as loudspeakers. The lie refers burn in of electrical components such as capacitors, resistors, etc.

There is an article on audioholics that clearly shows break-in of suspension causes differences in behavior. Not many people debate this, just how audible it may be.
Point taken; I didn't' read it. I just read the list of 'lies'.