The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Ten Biggest Audio Lies: Agree or Disagree (If you disagree, you must explain why!) Votes are public!
I agree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 131 44.26%
I disagree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 11 3.72%
1. The Cable Lie: Agree 106 35.81%
1. The Cable Lie: Disagree 37 12.50%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Agree 55 18.58%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Disagree 61 20.61%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Agree 70 23.65%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Disagree 43 14.53%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Agree 79 26.69%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Disagree 34 11.49%
5. The Feedback Lie: Agree 72 24.32%
5. The Feedback Lie: Disagree 29 9.80%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Agree 85 28.72%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Disagree 37 12.50%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Agree 78 26.35%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Disagree 34 11.49%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Agree 76 25.68%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Disagree 41 13.85%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Agree 94 31.76%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Disagree 25 8.45%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Agree 81 27.36%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Disagree 31 10.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

post #151 of 287 Old 01-03-13, 07:13 PM
Shackster

Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

OK,
So i disagreed with the tube amp one.
But I've got a bit of a different spin.
I dont think I'd ever use a tube amp for a HT or Music playback application.
But for playing guitar, there is no comparison.
I like a lot of over drive and distortion and solid state amps just dont do it the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 287 Old 01-03-13, 08:03 PM
Shackster
wagdad

I voted and it said You must explain if you disagree. Well I only disagreed with the anti-digital
one and that was because there are some very real differences in the execution of analog
and digital conversion and the way a lot of the early digital recordings were made. I can hear
the difference between certain old CD players and the many of the early digital recordings lacked
depth and realism. I think the first really good CD I bought was a Denon Luis Conte called Black Forest
that really showed me what CD could be. So I guess this is a qualified disagree. I was in the audio
business for many years and grew up loving music in the fifties and sixties. So only the earliest
Altec and Electro-Voice systems escaped my initial experience. Good clean power is so cheap compared
to what was available to me when I was young. And I usually made my own cables from copper
wrapped RG-6. But, I sometimes used decent quality manufactured calbes. I think optical is very cool.
I do like a heavy duty speaker cable for the mains just to carry decent current. In the old days you
had to watch how you matched amps and speakers, cables were secondary. I had some old Magneplanars
that you better have a decent current capable amp to run with or they sounded awful. I believe that
is still true with them. I do have some hearing impairment, but my ear is trained and I always told the
customer "if you can't hear the difference why would you want to spend the money?" But, there are
and probably alway will be people that want to spend the MONEY!
post #153 of 287 Old 01-14-13, 03:05 PM
Shackster
Dustin

My System
Send a message via MSN to PC509

I have to say that I agree with them all. However, I think that some of them are opinions (the article just shares my opinions). For something to sound good is dependent on the listener. For some, "good" may bring back memories of their childhood listening to their dad's records, so that's what they are associating and comparing it to. For others, they want the most accurate reproduction of the original recording.

Some prefer the sound of tubes vs. transistors. I don't. I wouldn't say that the other guy was wrong, though. I am sure my ears aren't the de facto ears when it comes to audio reception. Even with a microphone and a high tech comparison to the original media - I think it would still come down to personal preference, not which one was technically accurate compared to the original recording.

Others are a bit more black and white.

post #154 of 287 Old 04-26-13, 04:55 AM
Shackster

I have just joined and may be being thick; there are references to an article in this thread - where is it and how can I get to read it?

D
post #155 of 287 Old 04-26-13, 05:23 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The first post on the first page has this link:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/audiolies.pdf

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #156 of 287 Old 04-26-13, 08:24 AM
Shackster

Thanks. Interesting.

D
post #157 of 287 Old 04-26-13, 08:39 AM
Shackster

I have just been perusing the results. The Valve lie appears to be one holding sway, and it is a weird one. People talk about 'warmth' and even harmonic distortion etc. I think that this is fairly classic rubbish! Valve guitar amps, oh yes, the feel of them is very different, and the sound of overdriven valves has a detail and texture that it is hard for digital processing to emulate. But in terms of hi-fi I think it is really not a question of levels and types of distortion but basically well designed equipment. A well designed hi end op-amp/transistor based pre-amp will sound good, so too will a well designed valve amplifier. I would be very interested to hear an ABX test on a valve and an op-amp/transistor pre amp (or even amplifier) if we were looking at two hi end units, especially if we were listening to instruments and comparing the apparent reality of the resulting sound.

D
post #158 of 287 Old 05-25-13, 12:48 AM
Shackster

I don't know if my disagreement with the power conditioner lie is actually disagreement or ignorance. My concern lies with a situation that I know is deadly to computers and that is low power situations or brownouts. While I have never lost any A/V equipment to power situations I have had computers fry before so all of my computers are connected to battery backup systems that provide a consistent voltage to the computer regardless of what the incoming power is doing and continue to provide the consistent current even after the power has gone out for a long enough period of time to safely shut everything down.

So my concern is wouldn't A/V equipment benefit from similar protection? Not the battery back up since I no longer have a projection TV with a lamp that needs to cool down but from brown outs and spikes.
post #159 of 287 Old 05-25-13, 02:09 AM
Shackster

Quote:
mlundy57 wrote: View Post
..... all of my computers are connected to battery backup systems that provide a consistent voltage to the computer regardless of what the incoming power is doing and continue to provide the consistent current even after the power has gone out for a long enough period of time to safely shut everything down.

So my concern is wouldn't A/V equipment benefit from similar protection? Not the battery back up since I no longer have a projection TV with a lamp that needs to cool down but from brown outs and spikes.
I have a battery backup on all my electronic equipment, A/V and computer. The standard battery backup does not supply constant power to the equipment. It is a backup that switches instantly (less than a 1/4 cycle of the loss of AC with my APC brand). The type you are describing is not a backup, it's a constant voltage power source which continuously runs off the battery so there's no switching time is the power fails. The batteries are always charging from the line voltage while it supplies power to the equipment. There's no real benefit to this arrangement, because you are now relying on the electronics of the constant power source to continue to operate. Like any other electronic equipment, it's not "if it fails" it's "when it fails".

You are also now relying on the power inverter to convert DC voltage to AC that powers the equipment. Rarely battery backups provide true 60/50 Hz sine waves to the equipment. Most provide a sawtooth wave which emulates a sine wave closely, others a square wave or a modified form of wave that crosses the zero base line 50/60 times a second.

If your equipment has a power transformer in the power supply, it provides 99.9% of the isolation between the power source and the equipment. If it has a switching power supply, all the line noise and the switching circuitry itself generates a huge amount of noise.

I've been in electronics since the early '60s and through experience, degree in EE, and a lifelong verification of "audio myths" and half truths (like global warming) I came to the realization that whatever sounds good to the listener is the ultimate sound for them, but maybe not for you (emperor's new clothes).
post #160 of 287 Old 05-25-13, 08:13 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
mlundy57 wrote: View Post
I don't know if my disagreement with the power conditioner lie is actually disagreement or ignorance. My concern lies with a situation that I know is deadly to computers and that is low power situations or brownouts. While I have never lost any A/V equipment to power situations I have had computers fry before so all of my computers are connected to battery backup systems that provide a consistent voltage to the computer regardless of what the incoming power is doing and continue to provide the consistent current even after the power has gone out for a long enough period of time to safely shut everything down.

I am not sure what kind of problems you have had due to low voltage, but most power supplies in computer and AV equipment should not be damaged by brownouts. Most use switching power supplies that do run less efficiently at lower voltages and can get hot, but should shut down at voltages below their operating range. Running on low voltage for extended periods might be a problem for some power supplies, but if this is the case, you have more serious problems that should not rely upon a UPS to resolve.

Conventional power supplies like found in most amps and AVRs will not regulate to their normal voltages at low source voltages. Again, for brownouts, this does not typically cause damage. Sustained low voltage situations need to be fixed by the utility company or your electrician.

What usually causes damage in power situations are when transients occur due to switching in the supply system or when one leg goes down. A UPS or surge suppressor can be helpful, but more sophisticated power conditioning is usually not going to provide a meaningful benefit.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.