The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Ten Biggest Audio Lies: Agree or Disagree (If you disagree, you must explain why!) Votes are public!
I agree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 131 44.41%
I disagree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 11 3.73%
1. The Cable Lie: Agree 106 35.93%
1. The Cable Lie: Disagree 36 12.20%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Agree 55 18.64%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Disagree 61 20.68%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Agree 70 23.73%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Disagree 43 14.58%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Agree 79 26.78%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Disagree 34 11.53%
5. The Feedback Lie: Agree 72 24.41%
5. The Feedback Lie: Disagree 29 9.83%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Agree 85 28.81%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Disagree 36 12.20%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Agree 78 26.44%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Disagree 34 11.53%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Agree 76 25.76%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Disagree 41 13.90%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Agree 94 31.86%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Disagree 25 8.47%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Agree 81 27.46%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Disagree 31 10.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

post #31 of 287 Old 03-12-08, 05:51 PM
Senior Shackster
terry

Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

nahh, ya did good. A lot of what you say is true, and is certainly true for you and your listening. In fact, I doubt people could quibble with what you said and how you said it.

I think he (and certainly I) take exception to the push in high end audio/video that cables (for example) make an actual audible difference due to it's secret herbs and spices if you will - often violating the laws of physics mind - and often charging outrageous prices into the bargain.

I'm a definite cable skeptic......but I cannot find anything I disagree with in what and how you wrote your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 287 Old 03-12-08, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hmmm... psychologically speaking... I hope I never spend extra money just so I can psychologically believe there is a real difference when in reality there is no difference. That would make me psycho...

I will be okay as long as others do not try to sell me on snake oil and myths. If someone wants to play-like they hear a difference, I do not have a problem with it.
post #33 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 12:57 AM
superchad

Quote:
Mr. Mike wrote: View Post
Great thread, great article. I disagree with many of the conclusions but still it was a good read.

Cables: Well, I believe the primary difference is psychological and as such is "real" to a different level for each individual. For instance, if I know which cables are in use and I favor their appearance, they will sound better to me than cables whose appearance I do not like. They could be identical in every way except the color, and it could skew my perception. We should not dismiss the power of the human psyche, it can (and does) create physical reactions.

So do some wires sound better than others? Yes, I believe they do.

Vacuum tubes: I like them better (for my music), they sound better to me. Everyone acknowledges there is a difference between the tube sound and the SS sound. I prefer the tubes for my music and the SS for my films. They both have a place and I'd hate to see either go away. I dont believe one is inherently superior.

Digital: Eh, bad digital sounds bad...bad analog sounds bad. They can both sound bad, or good. I dont think it is as much to do with the medium as it is with the mastering.

Listening Test: I've never put much stock in them. They seek to eliminate the psychological input mentioned above. In real world applications the psychological influence is unavoidable, so eliminating it from a test sort of makes the test unimportant to me. Not invalid, just unimportant.

Bi-wire: Bi-Wiring does no good that I could ever hear. Bi-amping is another story in my experience.

Power conditioners: I wouldnt be without them. I have many. They work for me...even if only psychologically.

CD treatments: Never heard any difference. I thought I did once, but upon further listening...nope.

Golden ears: Barring any physical hearing impairment everyone should be able to hear the same things. The training is where the differences come in. Just as a layman may look at visual art and does not comprehend what is being conveyed while the schooled viewer does...so can the untrained listener miss many of the details in a music reproduction that a practiced listener will pick up on.

OK, my first "real" post....hope I did OK

Mike
Hey Mike I agree with you almost across the board and my experience mirrors yours but I do think before the loudness wars started Vinyl clearly sounded better but even some of my $30 new albums sound terrible because of balls out levels and compression.
Far too many wires are a joke and scam but there are clearly wires that alter the sound in a desired way (and thats what we are after) I too use tubes for music and also agree with you there, I am on the fence with Bi-Wire as it helped in my dad's system but I have failed to hear anything more times than not, I bi-amp with outboard crossover so I know that works great (second set of speakers I have bi amped...........everything else is spot on Mike, nice post!
Hey Mike whats in your rig? Mine is posted if you care to browse.........cheers

post #34 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 05:46 AM
Mr. Mike
Inactive

Quote:
If someone wants to play-like they hear a difference, I do not have a problem
Sonnie, Thanks for the reply.

I suppose my point is that if the belief system of the individual is strong enough, then they are not really playing (literally or figuratively). The changes are very real to them.

There are many things people believe in this world that would not hold up to the scrutiny of a DBT.

Psychology is a real science, as real as lab gear. Both should be considered and weighed accordingly.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Mike

Last edited by Mr. Mike; 03-13-08 at 07:42 AM.
post #35 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 07:11 AM
Mr. Mike
Inactive

Superchad,

I'd like to wait a little while before posting my gear. In my experience, I have found the gear often speaks louder than the posts and I want to be known more for what I think before I am tied to what I own.

I can give you a little of my history....

I have been into HT/Audio for over 35 years now and have been through just about every type of gear you can imagine. I have had every video format known to man....including a large CED collection.

I currently have a turntable in use and at the other end of the audio spectrum I use a digital music server. So, extreme analog to extreme digital. I use a tube based pre-amp and digital amplifiers (for my audio system). I run two completely seperate systems for my music and my HT. They do not even share an electrical outlet. I can watch an HD-DVD or a Blu-Ray disc.

I use a front projection system for my movies and I built my own HT speakers. I run seperate IB subwoofers for each system.

I have been on the internet participating in forums since 1997 and have learned many things, one of them being that people are often pre-judged by the equipment they use. I'd like to get to be known for what I know, or do not know before I am known for what I bought. Gimme a few weeks and I will probably list my gear.

And BTW, great stuff you have in your system there. I have personal experience with several of the pieces you are using. It looks like a fantastic space to indulge in the pleasures of film and music. Great job!

Thanks,

Mike
post #36 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 07:39 AM
Mr. Mike
Inactive

Quote:
I think he (and certainly I) take exception to the push in high end audio/video that cables (for example) make an actual audible difference due to it's secret herbs and spices if you will - often violating the laws of physics mind - and often charging outrageous prices into the bargain.
I agree, and I just chalk it up to marketing.

I dont believe dog food marketing that says their high dollar brand "tastes better" either, but most importantly I do not try to discourage people from buying that dog food. It is, after all, their money.

An economics professor once told me "There is no such thing as 'overpriced". It either sells, or it does not" This is true for wires as well. The 5000 dollar interconnects are not overpriced if they can sell them. They can't sell them to me but someone selling 6 dollar HDMI cables can't sell those to me either (well, they did once...but never again).

The thing that is discouraging to me is the outrage from the scientific community that seems to become more vociferous as the price of the wire escalates. The "mystic claims" made by 30 dollar interconnects are not objected to nearly as loudly as the same claims made by the purveyors of the 5000 dollar ones.

This leads one to ponder if the true objections are targeting bad science, or price.

Something to think about.

Or not.

Sorry for the lengthy posts, I am big on philosophy.

Mike
post #37 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 08:00 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

Quote:
I agree, and I just chalk it up to marketing.

I dont believe dog food marketing that says their high dollar brand "tastes better" either, but most importantly I do not try to discourage people from buying that dog food. It is, after all, their money.
Mike
Well, yes, I suppose.

But the real question (and I want you to report back) is can YOU taste the difference?
post #38 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 08:36 AM
Mr. Mike
Inactive

Hahaha, That is why I don't believe the marketing !

Either they have someone that can talk to dogs or they have a guy that samples the food to determine if it tastes better.

Either way...something is amiss.

Mike
post #39 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

funnily enough, the wife once left my meal on the counter as I was eating later..and yeah it turned out what I thought was my meal (which was actually in the oven) was a can of dog food with leftovers and gravy etc.

So I stuck 'my' meal in the microwave and heated it up, had a few mouthfuls and apologetically said to the wife that it wasn't very good ha ha ha.

She looked in absolute horror at what had happened.

i mean I can chuckle now...the worst part??

The after taste, uggh. stayed for hours too!
post #40 of 287 Old 03-13-08, 11:12 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:

I'd like to wait a little while before posting my gear. In my experience, I have found the gear often speaks louder than the posts and I want to be known more for what I think before I am tied to what I own.
I think you will find that not to be the case here.

Quote:
The thing that is discouraging to me is the outrage from the scientific community that seems to become more vociferous as the price of the wire escalates. The "mystic claims" made by 30 dollar interconnects are not objected to nearly as loudly as the same claims made by the purveyors of the 5000 dollar ones.

This leads one to ponder if the true objections are targeting bad science, or price.
Well, both. When you step to a $30 interconnect you'll probably get better connectors and a fat looking cable which will rule out any doubt that your audio is going to suffer on it's way through, even if it does not perform noticably better than the el' cheapo cables that came in the box. And the difference between spending $5 and $30 is not much for this improvement.

When you step to a $5000 cable, you get into cables that do not perform any better even with sophisitcated test equipment. The problem I have, and for I think most, is that behind the scenes of these companies, the engineers and CEO's have to know that they are building a product that they are going to market for having superior performance even though it does not. After all it is just science. They know that what will sell the cable is creative, exaggerated marketing along with its price tag. They know they are making money off of people who just don't know any better. IMO that is wrong.

Quote:
funnily enough, the wife once left my meal on the counter as I was eating later..and yeah it turned out what I thought was my meal (which was actually in the oven) was a can of dog food with leftovers and gravy etc.
Too funny!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.