The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Ten Biggest Audio Lies: Agree or Disagree (If you disagree, you must explain why!) Votes are public!
I agree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 131 44.41%
I disagree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 11 3.73%
1. The Cable Lie: Agree 106 35.93%
1. The Cable Lie: Disagree 36 12.20%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Agree 55 18.64%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Disagree 61 20.68%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Agree 70 23.73%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Disagree 43 14.58%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Agree 79 26.78%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Disagree 34 11.53%
5. The Feedback Lie: Agree 72 24.41%
5. The Feedback Lie: Disagree 29 9.83%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Agree 85 28.81%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Disagree 36 12.20%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Agree 78 26.44%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Disagree 34 11.53%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Agree 76 25.76%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Disagree 41 13.90%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Agree 94 31.86%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Disagree 25 8.47%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Agree 81 27.46%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Disagree 31 10.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

post #51 of 287 Old 12-15-08, 10:06 AM
RLA
Inactive

Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

It' early here on the West Coast so I might have missed it. HIGH END POWER CORDS This is the snake that will kill you dead before you take a step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 287 Old 02-14-09, 03:42 AM
Shackster

Thomas

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Here’s my favorite quote from the article:
I pretty much agree with all of it, except for the cables. I generally not a believer in that stuff, but I have seen two instances where I could hear a difference. Which was surprising, because I wasn’t expecting anything at all. So I’m hesitant to denounce the idea outright.

Aesthetics that no one will ever see... Now that I don’t get.

I never could figure out the ABX foes, with their complaints about additional switches, etc. How many switches and relays does the signal go through as it is? Let’s see, the pre-amp source selector, the amplifier relays (that many have), the amp’s speaker selector switch, etc. Silly, just silly.

Regards,
Wayne
What about when your New Home Theater is finished and your giving your PROUD Private tours to the Envious Neighbors, Relatives, Friends, etc, and you take them into your Sound Equipment Room and show them the Neatly Routed, Color Coded, Low Resistant, Cables. There is something to be said for HIDDEN Aesthetics. If nothing else ..... for YOU the Installer.

Just an attempt at Realistic Humor. More laughing at myself than anything else. My step-daughter calls me MONK.
I personally have an Obsession with Cable Routing.

Order minimizes Confusion, and it looks Really Cool.

Thomas

Last edited by Cincyborn; 02-14-09 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Missed a word in original post
post #53 of 287 Old 02-14-09, 03:55 AM
Shackster

Thomas

Many years ago, I was a salesman, at a, now obsolete, Hifi store in Southern California. Pacific Stereo, for the curious. Anyway, I have never bought into, or at least understood the concept of frequency response for speakers being advertised way beyond the realm of Human Hearing. I always thought. "Am I buying this for me, Or my Dog, which has much better hearing than I do?

Just another LIE

Thomas

post #54 of 287 Old 02-14-09, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I agree Thomas... and I cannot believe there are too many over 40 folks out there that can hear that well anyway... probably not many and much over 8-10KHz.
post #55 of 287 Old 02-14-09, 01:20 PM
Shackster

Thomas

Back in the days of Analog, I witnessed a person so obsessive with a perfectly flat response that he not only EQ'd his room flat, but also adjusted the EQ frequencies to include his own personal hearing test. I guess if you want it perfectly flat, that too must be considered.

*Just a note off the subject... I am very happy to have found this forum. To all of you who welcomed me, my sincere thanks. Nice folks here!
post #56 of 287 Old 02-15-09, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
RLA wrote: View Post
It' early here on the West Coast so I might have missed it. HIGH END POWER CORDS This is the snake that will kill you dead before you take a step.
I love that one also. What those folks that spend $500 for a 6 foot power cord don't realize is that on the other side of that wall receptacle is 10 cents a foot romex - and a lot more of it than 6 feet, too. Then there is the "audiophile" grade $50 wall receptacle, connected to, yep, the same cheap romex.

Then, let's go back to the power generating station itself. I have designed those for 38 years. Nothing "audiophile" about that atmosphere, I guarantee. Tens and hundreds of thousands volts and tens of thousands amps.

Like the old saying about a fool and his money...
post #57 of 287 Old 04-17-09, 08:24 AM
Shackster
Tim

A very interesting discussion, about much of which I have nothing worthwhile to add.

I would remark however that I've just set up a stereo system in my new games room (aka "The Shed"). This room does not have the best acoustic, therefore there was no point spending money "unneccessarily" (we'll come to that later). The system is based around a 1976 Pioneer receiver which has basically been out of action for most of the last twenty years, having gone through a dozen repairs for the same fault but it always failed again. Anyway, the last engineer (a brilliant one mind you, and I don't exaggerate ... in this case) insisted on having the unit back after it failed after his repair, as I was about to bin it, partly because I'd given up, and partly because the thing had got a lot heavier over the years. On getting it back, he asked "What speaker cable are you using?" After describing the massive diameter hawser, he said ... "There's your problem. Use lighting flex."

Well, that's not the point of the story, just an amusing aside, to anyone but me. I thought, "Well, if I'm using lighting flex, I'll search out all the tatty RCA interconnects I can find, clean the plugs, join it all up and hear what we shall hear." Nice. And not only did I not have to care which way round the little arrows on the cables went (there weren't any), the whole system cost less than one pair of speaker cables from my "reference" system, even though the receiver originally cost me more than a brand new car in the days when cars were expensive.

That said, some of the respondents are missing some of the point. If it makes you feel better spending $10k on a pair of cables, you'll get more pleasure listening to your system for having them. I have a "clean" supply, power conditioning, nice cables, and it all cost less than a year's depreciation on my car, so where's the harm? Actually it's the car that bugging me, not the claims of cable manufacturers and hi-fi cranks.

Can I hear the difference between the two systems? Well, my reference system may not be high end, but yes, and it pleases me, even down to the fact that I'm still happy with my behemoth CRT projector BECAUSE it's the pinnacle of the old technology, rather than a transient phase of the new. Can I put that difference down to cables and power supply? Who knows, but it can't be doing any harm. Apart from to my Pioneer ....
post #58 of 287 Old 04-17-09, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Good story Tim... thanks for sharing
post #59 of 287 Old 04-17-09, 03:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
HiTracey wrote: View Post
because the thing had got a lot heavier over the years
I love this part

Funny how the weight of things increases as our age (and yes, our own circumference) increases.

I have a 90 pound Denon receiver sitting about 5 feet up on a reinforced shelf. Many times I have thought about moving it to a lower shelf to make it easier to see the display and get to the connections on back. Then I think of the day my son and I hefted that thing up there and decide that it is fine right where it is

Hug your pet today!
post #60 of 287 Old 04-17-09, 03:37 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
I love this part

Funny how the weight of things increases as our age (and yes, our own circumference) increases.

I have a 90 pound Denon receiver sitting about 5 feet up on a reinforced shelf. Many times I have thought about moving it to a lower shelf to make it easier to see the display and get to the connections on back. Then I think of the day my son and I hefted that thing up there and decide that it is fine right where it is
What about removing the dust from the receiver and the load of the speakers