The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Ten Biggest Audio Lies: Agree or Disagree (If you disagree, you must explain why!) Votes are public!
I agree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 131 44.41%
I disagree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 11 3.73%
1. The Cable Lie: Agree 106 35.93%
1. The Cable Lie: Disagree 36 12.20%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Agree 55 18.64%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Disagree 61 20.68%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Agree 70 23.73%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Disagree 43 14.58%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Agree 79 26.78%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Disagree 34 11.53%
5. The Feedback Lie: Agree 72 24.41%
5. The Feedback Lie: Disagree 29 9.83%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Agree 85 28.81%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Disagree 36 12.20%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Agree 78 26.44%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Disagree 34 11.53%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Agree 76 25.76%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Disagree 41 13.90%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Agree 94 31.86%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Disagree 25 8.47%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Agree 81 27.46%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Disagree 31 10.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

post #61 of 287 Old 04-17-09, 03:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

Dont forget to clean out all of the 0's and 1's that have gotten stuck inside the inner workings of the signal path usually a good abrupt thump with the fist jars them loose. you would be amazed as to how much better and lighter the receiver is after that.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 287 Old 04-18-09, 05:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Dont forget to clean out all of the 0's and 1's that have gotten stuck inside the inner workings of the signal path usually a good abrupt thump with the fist jars them loose. you would be amazed as to how much better and lighter the receiver is after that.
Does that work on cables also to free used electrons? Maybe I need to whack my interconnects with a yard stick tonight. Might need a hammer for the speaker cables, tho.

We joke about such things, but these are no more ridiculous than some of the stuff for sale. I saw a picture of a guy who put his single conductor speaker cables up on 12" or so "transmission towers" on the floor - bragged about how much better it sounded. Very large gauge wire, of course, for that 10 foot run...

A fool and his money... are soon departed.

Hug your pet today!
post #63 of 287 Old 04-29-09, 03:21 PM

I think the most common offender nowadays is the high end HDMI cables. Their adds will even say things as better picture clarity and definition along with more transparent sound. This despite extensive proof that an HDMI cable either works or doesn't at any particular resolution. How else can they get someone to spend 10x more money for an equal product.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #64 of 287 Old 04-29-09, 03:42 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

While I would not argue that the claims of high end cables are exaggerated, and many times very close to dishnonest, it is simply NOT true that HDMI cables either work of they don't. When you get to the limits of useful lengths, you can get symptoms that can get a number of symptoms while still getting a useable image. You may get intermittent signal or you may get none at all. Changing to a different brand of cable may get better results, though the correlation to price is not assured at all. I have had very good results with cheap HDMI cables at varying lengths.

Please don't propogate the naive assumption that HDDMI is an all or nothing matter. Like most matters audio and video, there is more to the story.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #65 of 287 Old 04-29-09, 05:51 PM

What you say is true. What I was getting at is that it is usually quite obvious when an HDMI cable isn't up to the task. There will be dropouts, sparklies, flashes, or even complete loss os picture. There really is no way that an HDMI cable can cause subtle variationd in picture quality such as "inproved detail and transparency" and the like. That's why I say it either works or it fails. The degree of failure may vary however
Posted via Mobile Device
post #66 of 287 Old 04-29-09, 06:23 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

It can cause what appears to be a low level noise, somewhat like activation potential noise in a PDP or the "hash" that appears in low res color info in NTSC, or in early LCD panels. Some of the problems that I have seen have been somewhat subtle. It also seems to vary with source device. I have seen several situations with cables too long where I could hook my signal generator up and it worked fine, but a cable box or sat receiver looked horrible until a shorter, better, or less defective cable was used.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #67 of 287 Old 05-14-09, 03:57 PM
Shackster
JohnZ

O.K. So I disagree with the BiWiring and Power Conditioning items. That being said, I also agree with them.

BiWiring - In my personal experience and equipment, I own a pair of Original series Klipsch LaScalla speakers. The way the cross over is wired, you can connect a separate amplifier to each speaker. They end up being electrically isolated from each other. In this situation, BiWiring, or Wiring each speaker to a different amplifier can provide better sound. However, with a good quality amplifier, I doubt that anyone could hear the difference. But with a cheap amplifier ... That is a different story.

Where can I see the benefit - When pushing amps to their limits. If the amp driving the woofer were to clip, it would only affect the woofer while the amp driving the Mid and tweeter would (most of the time) have a lower power output and not be driven to the point of clipping resulting in cleaner audio and reduced chance of damaging the tweeter. When I bought these speakers I was in the military living in the baracks. I had A LOT of guys wanting to show off their amps by connecting to my speakers. So many of their "High Power" amps sounded horible - especially at very low and very high volume. At the time, I owned a clean 100 W Marantz amp that could blow theirs away - Why? It did not clip except af full volume, and I would stop before that point.

Power Conditioning - Once again, when I was in the military stationed in the middle of nowhere, the local power was so dirty that you could hear noise in your audio equipment. I did not have any high end equipment out there, but with a power conditioner or filter you could reduce or eliminate the noise. Then this leads to a question I have - Power Inverters. (I.E. running off of battery power, generators, camping, RV, etc.) There is a big selling point for the far more expensive "Pure Sine Wave" power inverters and that some A.V. equipment cannot work right off of a modified sine wave inverter. So far, I have not been able to tell a differenct with what I have run off the grid.

Zeiggie
post #68 of 287 Old 05-15-09, 12:14 AM
Senior Shackster
kouack

Quote:
Zeiggie wrote: View Post
O.K. So I disagree with the BiWiring and Power Conditioning items. That being said, I also agree with them.

BiWiring - In my personal experience and equipment, I own a pair of Original series Klipsch LaScalla speakers. The way the cross over is wired, you can connect a separate amplifier to each speaker. They end up being electrically isolated from each other. In this situation, BiWiring, or Wiring each speaker to a different amplifier can provide better sound. However, with a good quality amplifier, I doubt that anyone could hear the difference. But with a cheap amplifier ... That is a different story.

Zeiggie
This is called bi-amping not bi-wiring, bi-wiring you just 2 set of wires connected to one amp and the other end to the same speaker so 2X 12AWG=10 AWG
post #69 of 287 Old 05-15-09, 09:16 AM
Shackster
JohnZ

Quote:
kouack wrote: View Post
This is called bi-amping not bi-wiring, bi-wiring you just 2 set of wires connected to one amp and the other end to the same speaker so 2X 12AWG=10 AWG
Ah, that makes sense and clarifies the original document for me. Thanks - Zeiggie
post #70 of 287 Old 09-23-09, 12:59 AM
Phil

CD treatement LIE!