The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Ten Biggest Audio Lies: Agree or Disagree (If you disagree, you must explain why!) Votes are public!
I agree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 131 44.26%
I disagree with all of them. (If you vote here... do not vote again.) 11 3.72%
1. The Cable Lie: Agree 106 35.81%
1. The Cable Lie: Disagree 37 12.50%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Agree 55 18.58%
2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie: Disagree 61 20.61%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Agree 70 23.65%
3. The Antidigital Lie: Disagree 43 14.53%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Agree 79 26.69%
4. The Listening-Test Lie: Disagree 34 11.49%
5. The Feedback Lie: Agree 72 24.32%
5. The Feedback Lie: Disagree 29 9.80%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Agree 85 28.72%
6. The Burn-In Lie: Disagree 37 12.50%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Agree 78 26.35%
7. The Biwiring Lie: Disagree 34 11.49%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Agree 76 25.68%
8. The Power Conditioner Lie: Disagree 41 13.85%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Agree 94 31.76%
9. The CD Treatment Lie: Disagree 25 8.45%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Agree 81 27.36%
10: The Golden Ear Lie: Disagree 31 10.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

post #71 of 287 Old 02-10-10, 11:23 PM
Shackster
enigmatic

Re: The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

When I wound my cable into a coil so it didn't tangle, the highs were gone...

I do believe that 44,100Hz digital is mathematically "inferior" to analog in a way, but since you can go up to 192,000Hz digital along with the fact that no-one is really going to notice a difference at 20kHz in their music, it's a matter of belief. Although, 11kHz digital wave files are grainy...

"Golden Ears" - Yes, some people have better hearing than others, but can you hear the 1dB hiss among 100dB of music?

With speakers, you can hear distorion easier than with those that have distortion at -60dB, but still not very noticable that far down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 287 Old 02-20-10, 04:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Outlaw

My System

I'm just gonna' work my down the list

1.The cost of the cable really doesn't matter. There are differences though. My first wife had extraordinarily good hearing. She was able to identify cables in a level matched DBT using an ABX comparator about 90% of the time. She coached and taught me how to be a better listener. I don't claim to hear as well as her but I know it's possible to hear very small differences.

Every monoprice cable I've heard sounded awful. Blujeans cables are a very good buy for around the same cost.

2. I use tubed power amps to drive my ESL's I don't claim they sound better. They sound different. I believe a lot of that difference is in the overload characteristics of tubes. When overdriven transistors abruptly go from linear to non-linear (clipping) behavior. At which point they generate mostly odd order harmonics. Tubes when overdriven start compressing and slowly start generating even order harmonics. Odd order harmonics are much more unpleasant than even.

3. If you think that 44.1Khz captures all that's there, download the same 24/96 and standard 16/44 file from HD track's and listen for yourself.

4. See my answer to number one.

5. Too much feedback applied improperly is bad. Listen to a Crown IC-150 preamp and compare it to something like an Emotiva.

6. I have only anecdotal experience here. Around ten years ago I bought a very highly rated Technics portable CD player. I got it home and plugged the line out into my main system. Frankly, it sounded awful. It made me think of barbed wire. I put it on infinite repeat and let it run for a couple of days. When I listened again there was no change. On the verge of dismissing it as a bad buy it suddenly changed its sound in the middle of a song. It went from “barbed wire” to very nice and smooth. I had changed nothing. Until then I'd never really believed in “burn in”.

7. I biamp using an active electronic crossover. Consequently I have no experience here.

8. Power conditioners for power amps are mostly non existent. For sources and other low level components they can make a difference. The PS Audio power plants are a perfect example. One of my buddies has one and it made a difference in his system my ex-wife immediately heard. I trusted her ears.

9. The green pen works. By a Uni-Posca from an art supply store and try it yourself. It's only a couple of bucks ($2). that's cheap enough for everyone to try.

10. My first wife had golden ears. See some of my previous answers.

It has been my experience that women when they care enough to listen can regularly hear differences and nuances that most men can only imagine. The very few women I've met who are interested in this “obsession” all had very good sounding systems. I can't say this about a lot of men. They have speakers in the corners, no stands, smiley face equalizer settings and awful sound that they think is “good”. If the last sentance doesn't apply to you please ignore it.

ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300, Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges: Marantz CD63SE, Yamaha DVD-S1800,, MSB Link D2A, Emotiva XDA-2, Accuphase T101 tuner, TEAC V7010, Emotiva UMC-200: Front speakers: Acoustat Spectra 22 ESL's, DBX223sx, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2 12" Transmission Line Subs, Behringer DSP1124P, 2 Crown XLS-402 Rear speakers: Acoustat Model 1 ESL, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545, Acoustat SPW-1 Woofer.
post #73 of 287 Old 02-20-10, 05:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Outlaw

My System

Quote:
Cincyborn wrote: View Post
Back in the days of Analog, I witnessed a person so obsessive with a perfectly flat response that he not only EQ'd his room flat, but also adjusted the EQ frequencies to include his own personal hearing test. I guess if you want it perfectly flat, that too must be considered.

*Just a note off the subject... I am very happy to have found this forum. To all of you who welcomed me, my sincere thanks. Nice folks here!
I agree with getting the in room response as flat as possible. Eq'ing to make the response of your ears flat is just plain silly. What do you do when you go to hear any live music?

ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300, Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges: Marantz CD63SE, Yamaha DVD-S1800,, MSB Link D2A, Emotiva XDA-2, Accuphase T101 tuner, TEAC V7010, Emotiva UMC-200: Front speakers: Acoustat Spectra 22 ESL's, DBX223sx, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2 12" Transmission Line Subs, Behringer DSP1124P, 2 Crown XLS-402 Rear speakers: Acoustat Model 1 ESL, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545, Acoustat SPW-1 Woofer.

post #74 of 287 Old 02-28-10, 11:36 PM

What do Monster Cables go for?
post #75 of 287 Old 03-01-10, 12:35 AM
Banned!

Quote:
yukonwill wrote: View Post
What do Monster Cables go for?
5-10x what they're worth.
post #76 of 287 Old 03-23-10, 10:53 PM
Allen

I haven't read every post, but I did vote, so,

I disagreed with the burn-in lie, but my experience is only with studio monitors. Every pair I had sounded better over a 2 week period. It is highly likely that it was actually my ears getting used to them.

Good day.
post #77 of 287 Old 03-26-10, 10:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Nathan

I've read this thread with some amusement, it's brought back some memories of some of the things I was told when younger and very much "into hi-fi".

The one thing I will take exception to though is the trashing of the bi-wiring methodogy; it is definitely audible in some case and very easily measured. As well as the more-dubious interference and back-emf theories regarding bi-wiring, there seems to be missed the very basic fact that bass-drivers pull curent and drop voltage over long lengths of cable. Ok, I acknowledge that the significance of this is very small in cables shorter than 12-foot and diameters larger than 2.5sqmm, and if you're pulling less than 50-100W -but it is definitely not a myth. When Bi-wiring, any voltage-drops caused by the bass driver current over the speaker-cable will not be applied to the treble driver. End-of. Same reason that sensing wires are used in low-impedance measurement.

Ok, I bi, tri and quad-amp my cabiniets, and I know that active x-overs are the better way, but I still have to think carefully about voltage-drops over distance -I know I lose whole integer percentages on the cable to my bass drivers, and some installs are ridiculous with 50m+ runs of 2.5sqmm. But this is live reinforcement...
post #78 of 287 Old 03-26-10, 02:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

I disagree with the tube vs solid state. Of course my logic is based on my opinion that the tube amp has a much stronger sound to it.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #79 of 287 Old 04-07-10, 08:23 AM
Mike

I'm adding this to the cable lies but only cause I got the cable for free and didn't buy it. I have a 10-15' cable that I was given that has RCA plugs on both ends that I use for my subwoofer. The cable has arrows printed on it with labeling showing which way the signal path should go from the receiver to the sub. Come on like it matters. Who dreamed up this idea.

Again only adding for a laugh, i didn't buy the cable it was given to me. I know someone is going to ask whether I hook it up with the signal path going in the direction of the arrows and the answer is no. I do it the opposite way just to spite the cable.

One other thought I just had. I have heard this before and am looking for some input. I've heard that surge protectors "die" after a few years and need replacing because the insides stop working to protect from surges over time. Any truth to this?

Last edited by merlin_666; 04-07-10 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added info
post #80 of 287 Old 04-07-10, 10:44 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Surge suppressors that use MOVs (most) can become less effective with repeated surges, and operate at higher voltages. This is rarely an issue however. Nearly all failures of MOVs occur as dead shorts which will open fuses or other protection devices or open a breaker. The bottom line is that it is unlikely to have a failure of protection that is not seen.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.