Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   AV Home Theater (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/)
-   -   had your hearing checked recently? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/6945-had-your-hearing-checked-recently.html)

drf 10-25-07 04:08 AM

had your hearing checked recently?

I had my hearing tested about a year ago now, then it was good down to 10dB and upto 19K. Not bad for 32. However of late I have noticed I am starting to have a lot of trouble understanding speech in environments slightly louder than normal. I also am starting to have trouble hearing dialogue in movies if I am chewing (not generally a problem before).

Does anyone else have similar experience? has your hearing been checked recently and been good, yet think you may have problems still?

My worst fear is loosing my hearing or aspects of it. :sob:

goose 10-25-07 01:59 PM

Re: had your hearing checked recently?

I had mine tested in July, I notice it isn't as good so now I try and keep the HT and music
volume down a few notches.

As for movies, I know what you mean by starting to have trouble hearing dialogue, if I am chewing or moving my head.

thewire 10-25-07 03:14 PM

I checked mine using a demo software program not more than a year ago. I have slightly better hearing in my right ear. My headphones may have been wrong also. I think it is from people blasting their car stereo with me in the passenger seat.

My hearing is still excellent though. I had to retake those test when I was in school. They didn't trust me the first time but eventually caught on.

lcaillo 10-25-07 04:52 PM

Eh? What was the question?

Sonnie 10-25-07 06:06 PM

I couldn't hear him either... :dontknow:

When I started having ringing in my ears I went to my doctor and he tested my ears. It was something like -10db over 6KHz in one ear and -20db over 8KHz in the other. I may have those crossed up in some way... it was several years ago. I was diagnosed with tinnitus. It was bad then, but it seems like I've gotten use to it. Even when I think about it, it really doesn't bother much anymore. It is 24/7 though... and deep bass notes cause distortion sounds until I crank it on up to a certain point. I know I'm reaping the consequences of loud music most of my life, particularly in the car.

tweeksound 10-25-07 07:12 PM

Having a certified audiologist check your hearing at any point is a good idea. They do it in a controlled environment so the results are more accurate each time and the test results give you a base line to compare to in the future. If you get a test done in 20 years, you will have both tests to compare and you can say "my hearing has degraded this much in these freq's since my last test"

An audiologist can also determine what % of the hearing loss is permanent and what % can be fixed by using bone conduction.
it's very often that at least some amount of hearing loss is fixable.

Loud bass is the most damaging to all frequencies. Low freq's don't need to even "seem" very loud to cause irreparable damage.

Here is a very useful and informative chart on what levels are damaging over how long.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

You might be surprised to find that even when you think you're being good you are still listening too loud and for too long.

I carry an SPL meter around and measure level a lot.
I also have ear plugs whenever I might be in a loud environment.

Gotta be careful.

drf 10-26-07 01:47 AM

Quote:

lcaillo wrote: (Post 56928)
Eh? What was the question?

I SAID "ARE YOU DEF?"

hehehehe

tweeksound 10-26-07 09:02 AM

Quote:

drf wrote: (Post 56779)
I had my hearing tested about a year ago now, then it was good down to 10dB and upto 19K. Not bad for 32. However of late I have noticed I am starting to have a lot of trouble understanding speech in environments slightly louder than normal. I also am starting to have trouble hearing dialogue in movies if I am chewing (not generally a problem before).

Does anyone else have similar experience? has your hearing been checked recently and been good, yet think you may have problems still?

My worst fear is loosing my hearing or aspects of it. :sob:

Hearing damage is usually only noticed when you either get a test or your or people you talk to start to notice that you have trouble understanding speech.

Having trouble telling the difference between certain words is usually a sign of hearing loss in the high freq's.

There are many causes of hearing loss. It could be treatable like wax buildup, malfunctioning bones in the ear, fluid buildup, unbalanced pressure, etc... Or it could be permanent nerve damage caused by a high fever, loud and/or constant noise, head trauma, heredity, etc...

I would go to the audiologist (maybe the same) and get another test to compare to last year.

drf 10-26-07 04:24 PM

I have noticed that when the ambient background noise starts to near typical speech levels I start to have trouble decerning words. This was the first thing I noticed. I am going to have my ears cleaned and will see if that makes a difference. If not then its back to the audiologist for me.